Printer Spooler reinstall

I had a HP deskjet connected to my computer and now the installed computer
has just disappeared. I have gone through many web sites - including this
one - to figure out what has happened. I have not had any luck yet. But one
thing I have noticed is that my printer spooler (administrator
tools/services) is not there. Is there a way to reinstall this service?

Also, I have tried to do the repair feature from the XP install disk but
when I get to the part where it asks for the admin password I am stuck - I
dont know it. Is there a default passowrd or a work around?

I have conntacted my computer manufactureer and I they have said I need to
reinstall XP. That means loosing everything I have, correct? (unlessI back
up that is)

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Almostsane1 wrote:
> I had a HP deskjet connected to my computer and now the installed computer
> has just disappeared. I have gone through many web sites - including this
> one - to figure out what has happened. I have not had any luck yet. But one
> thing I have noticed is that my printer spooler (administrator
> tools/services) is not there. Is there a way to reinstall this service?
>
> Also, I have tried to do the repair feature from the XP install disk but
> when I get to the part where it asks for the admin password I am stuck - I
> dont know it. Is there a default passowrd or a work around?
>
> I have conntacted my computer manufactureer and I they have said I need to
> reinstall XP. That means loosing everything I have, correct? (unlessI back
> up that is)
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.

You lost me in the first line. What do you mean "the installed
computer...disappeared"?

When you boot the computer from the Windows XP distribution CD at a
certain point in the installation, on a blue screen, it will ask if you
want to do a repair install using the repair console. You do not.
Continue. Later, it will examine the hard drive(s) for other
installations. If it finds one or more, it will ask if you want it to
recover one of these installations. Choose yes and select the one you
want to restore (I assume there will actually be just the one found).
The recovery will take some time. Follow the on-screen prompts. You will
not have to re-install your applications. No user files will be lost.

If possible, it is best to back up all user files before this operation
just for greater certainty of keeping your files intact.

Let us know.

Note:
If the spooler service is the only issue, it can be started by
navigating to the Start Run slot and typing

Net start spooler

and pressing enter.

After the spooler service starts, the list of printers will reappear.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

:
: Also, I have tried to do the repair feature from the XP install disk
but
: when I get to the part where it asks for the admin password I am
stuck - I
: dont know it. Is there a default passowrd or a work around?
:
: I have conntacted my computer manufactureer and I they have said I
need to
: reinstall XP. That means loosing everything I have, correct? (unlessI
back
: up that is)
:
: Thanks in advance for any assistance.
:
:

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

I am relieved to hear that the missing computer was found!