Help: when I run QR disc I get blue screen

Help. When I run the QR disc on my Presario 12XL212 I end up with just a
blue screen. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks
Alan
8 answers Last reply
More about help disc blue screen

    Alan Kerr wrote:
    > Help. When I run the QR disc on my Presario 12XL212 I end up with just a
    > blue screen. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Alan
    just to add some more, I think my disk just needs reformatting but I
    don't know how to do it. When I install the QR disk it runs a little
    then just stalls with a blue screen.

    Alan

    In article <NQTHd.9871$mo2.746518@news.xtra.co.nz>, Alan Kerr
    <AL.KERR@xtra.co.nz> writes
    >Alan Kerr wrote:
    >> Help. When I run the QR disc on my Presario 12XL212 I end up with just a
    >> blue screen. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Alan
    >just to add some more, I think my disk just needs reformatting but I
    >don't know how to do it. When I install the QR disk it runs a little
    >then just stalls with a blue screen.
    >
    >Alan

    The QR should format the disk for you.

    Do you have a setup password set in the BIOS? Remove it. On some
    Compaq Presario's it stops the restore. In the cases that I have seen
    there is an error message indicating that the disk is faulty, it isn't.

    It would be worth setting the BIOS settings to default.

    --
    Nicholas David Richards -

    "Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

    The thought occurs to me that I should have asked you why you wanted to
    run the QR on you notebook. I ask this as the question must arise as to
    whether the problem (if there is one) that makes you want to QR your
    notebook is also causing this problem.

    To reset your BIOS reboot and as soon as the red COMPAQ screen appears
    when you start your machine press F10, you may need to do this a couple
    of times.

    You should get a message appear at the bottom of the COMPAQ screen
    telling you that SETUP is starting.

    If you go into the setup without a password being requested you will not
    need to cancel this. If you do need a password I hope you know it.
    This password is nothing to do with your Windows passwords. If you do
    need a password and do not know the password, things become more
    complicated as it involves an element of dissassembly of the notebook.

    Hopefully you do not need a password or you know it. If you need to
    remove the setup password look for security or setup password, (this
    varies from computer to computer and I do not know the 1200 series,
    except from its manual), you usually cancel a password in the BIOS by
    entering an empty password and confirming it .

    Look for Load Defaults on the first screen. Activate this and then look
    for Save an exit. Activate this and the machine will reboot. Try the
    QR again.

    If this does not work then I would suggest you follow the following URL
    and select either 'e-mail technical support' or 'chat with an on-line
    with a technician'. I would suggest the latter, it does seem to work
    quite well.

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/setupCategory?dlc=en&lc=en&product=95
    053&dest_page=product&cc=us&

    In article <BVcId.10225$mo2.777793@news.xtra.co.nz>, Alan Kerr
    <AL.KERR@xtra.co.nz> writes

    Nicholas D Richards wrote:
    > In article <NQTHd.9871$mo2.746518@news.xtra.co.nz>, Alan Kerr
    > <AL.KERR@xtra.co.nz> writes
    >
    >>Alan Kerr wrote:
    >>
    >>>Help. When I run the QR disc on my Presario 12XL212 I end up with just a
    >>>blue screen. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>Alan
    >>
    >>just to add some more, I think my disk just needs reformatting but I
    >>don't know how to do it. When I install the QR disk it runs a little
    >>then just stalls with a blue screen.
    >>
    >>Alan
    >

    > The QR should format the disk for you.
    >
    > Do you have a setup password set in the BIOS? Remove it. On some
    > Compaq Presario's it stops the restore. In the cases that I have seen
    > there is an error message indicating that the disk is faulty, it isn't.
    >
    > It would be worth setting the BIOS settings to default.

    I removed the 40GB drive and was going to use that in an external HDD
    and fit the original 5GB HDD back into the laptop. I fitted the 40GB
    into an external case and went to format it but ran into trouble trying
    to remove the partition. I then decided to put it back in the laptop but
    the system won't reinstall.

    Alan

    Nicholas D Richards wrote:
    > The thought occurs to me that I should have asked you why you wanted to
    > run the QR on you notebook. I ask this as the question must arise as to
    > whether the problem (if there is one) that makes you want to QR your
    > notebook is also causing this problem.
    >
    > To reset your BIOS reboot and as soon as the red COMPAQ screen appears
    > when you start your machine press F10, you may need to do this a couple
    > of times.
    >
    > You should get a message appear at the bottom of the COMPAQ screen
    > telling you that SETUP is starting.
    >
    > If you go into the setup without a password being requested you will not
    > need to cancel this. If you do need a password I hope you know it.
    > This password is nothing to do with your Windows passwords. If you do
    > need a password and do not know the password, things become more
    > complicated as it involves an element of dissassembly of the notebook.
    >
    > Hopefully you do not need a password or you know it. If you need to
    > remove the setup password look for security or setup password, (this
    > varies from computer to computer and I do not know the 1200 series,
    > except from its manual), you usually cancel a password in the BIOS by
    > entering an empty password and confirming it .
    >
    > Look for Load Defaults on the first screen. Activate this and then look
    > for Save an exit. Activate this and the machine will reboot. Try the
    > QR again.
    >
    > If this does not work then I would suggest you follow the following URL
    > and select either 'e-mail technical support' or 'chat with an on-line
    > with a technician'. I would suggest the latter, it does seem to work
    > quite well.
    >
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/setupCategory?dlc=en&lc=en&product=95
    > 053&dest_page=product&cc=us&
    >

    > In article <BVcId.10225$mo2.777793@news.xtra.co.nz>, Alan Kerr
    > <AL.KERR@xtra.co.nz> writes
    >
    >>How do I get to the BIOS settings? When I insert the QR disk it starts
    >>up and asks me what language to install then it gives the first two
    >>pages where I hit "any other key" as it asks and the second page where I
    >>do this turns to just a blue page and thats it. This happened once
    >>before when I first bought this machine and someone on this newsgroup
    >>told me some keys to hit straight after the "Compaq" page and it gave me
    >>options where I was able to do the install. I wish I had kept the info
    >>in a safe place instead of in the "saved" folder on my laptop
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>Alan
    >>

    >>Nicholas D Richards wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <NQTHd.9871$mo2.746518@news.xtra.co.nz>, Alan Kerr
    >>><AL.KERR@xtra.co.nz> writes

    >>>The QR should format the disk for you.
    >>>
    >>>Do you have a setup password set in the BIOS? Remove it. On some
    >>>Compaq Presario's it stops the restore. In the cases that I have seen
    >>>there is an error message indicating that the disk is faulty, it isn't.
    >>>
    >>>It would be worth setting the BIOS settings to default.

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    I take it that the QR did instal successfully on the 40GB drive on a
    previous occasion?

    Check the ribbon cables to the hard drive and the cd-rom drive. Are
    they seated properly and folded away correctly. To check the seating,
    unplug and replug. Do the plugs look as if they have gone in correctly
    and are they square in their sockets. Are any pins bent. The plugs
    should go in smoothly without any excessive force. The reference manual
    that illustrates the correct way of folding the ribbons can be found at:

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/pdf/c00000584.pdf

    When you go into the BIOS settings, can the BIOS correctly identify the
    40 GB drive? If not, the drive is dead, there is a problem with the
    connection to the drive or the BIOS is not capable of supporting the
    drive.

    Does the original drive still work and if the original OS is still on
    there, does it work and can it see the cd-rom drive correctly? Can it
    see the contents of the QR cd-rom? If the original drive still has an
    operation OS I would not suggest attempting to run the QR against it.

    Is the QR cd-rom clean? Careful how you clean it. Only wipe it from
    the centre out not along the circumference.

    Which operating system does the QR load, a Windows 9x or Windows NT,
    2000 or XP. If the QR is attempting to reload Windows 9x and you had
    upgraded to an NTFS aware operating system on the 40GB drive, and
    converted to NTFS I would expect a problem.

    Finally you mention that you had trouble partitioning the drive when you
    put it in the external case. What sort of trouble.

    In article <4BgId.10300$mo2.783200@news.xtra.co.nz>, Alan Kerr
    <AL.KERR@xtra.co.nz> writes
> [...]
    >> with a technician'. I would suggest the latter, it does seem to work
    >> quite well.
    >>
    >> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/setupCategory?dlc=en&lc=en&product=95
    >> 053&dest_page=product&cc=us&
    >>

    >> In article <BVcId.10225$mo2.777793@news.xtra.co.nz>, Alan Kerr
    >> <AL.KERR@xtra.co.nz> writes
    >>
    >>>How do I get to the BIOS settings? When I insert the QR disk it starts
    >>>up and asks me what language to install then it gives the first two
    >>>pages where I hit "any other key" as it asks and the second page where I
    >>>do this turns to just a blue page and thats it. This happened once
    >>>before when I first bought this machine and someone on this newsgroup
    >>>told me some keys to hit straight after the "Compaq" page and it gave me
    >>>options where I was able to do the install. I wish I had kept the info
    >>>in a safe place instead of in the "saved" folder on my laptop

  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Nicholas D Richards wrote:
    > I take it that the QR did instal successfully on the 40GB drive on a
    > previous occasion?
    >
    > Check the ribbon cables to the hard drive and the cd-rom drive. Are
    > they seated properly and folded away correctly. To check the seating,
    > unplug and replug. Do the plugs look as if they have gone in correctly
    > and are they square in their sockets. Are any pins bent. The plugs
    > should go in smoothly without any excessive force. The reference manual
    > that illustrates the correct way of folding the ribbons can be found at:
    >
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/pdf/c00000584.pdf
    >
    > When you go into the BIOS settings, can the BIOS correctly identify the
    > 40 GB drive? If not, the drive is dead, there is a problem with the
    > connection to the drive or the BIOS is not capable of supporting the
    > drive.
    >
    > Does the original drive still work and if the original OS is still on
    > there, does it work and can it see the cd-rom drive correctly? Can it
    > see the contents of the QR cd-rom? If the original drive still has an
    > operation OS I would not suggest attempting to run the QR against it.
    >
    > Is the QR cd-rom clean? Careful how you clean it. Only wipe it from
    > the centre out not along the circumference.
    >
    > Which operating system does the QR load, a Windows 9x or Windows NT,
    > 2000 or XP. If the QR is attempting to reload Windows 9x and you had
    > upgraded to an NTFS aware operating system on the 40GB drive, and
    > converted to NTFS I would expect a problem.
    >
    > Finally you mention that you had trouble partitioning the drive when you
    > put it in the external case. What sort of trouble.

    Nicholas thanks for your help. The drive is installed correctly and
    cables are fine. I did format the HDD to NTFS, is this my problem? Is
    there any way of reformatting the HDD? I don't have the original drive
    to try that again. The partition problem I had was trying to remove the
    Compaq partition use Partition Magic. I've had the same problem in the
    past, Partition Magic doesn't recognize the Compaq partition. The QR
    disk loads Me but I think it does this over W98.

    Alan
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Nicholas thanks. I fitted the HDD into an external HDD then connected it
    to my desktop then formatted the HDD to FAT 32 format and now as I write
    this the QR disk is restoring my laptop system.

    Cheers
    Alan

Compaq Presario Blue Screen Computers