First Time overclocking

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Well this is my first attempt at overclocking anything. My old system is a PIII600E. I've gone into the BIOS, but I can't do anything, can't change the FSB speed and I can't raise the voltage to my processor either. Can anyone help me a bit here. Everyone talks as though overclocking the FSB is really easy, but i can't even find it. I know my default FSB speed is 100MHz. Thanks

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Ugh...you are stuck with a tough to Oc system. Well, can you identify the motherboard you have? I think the only way you could really do anything with it is try for a reliable increase in the FSB from like 100 to 133, but it really all depends on the chipset and the motherboard really. If you have the 440BX chipset, congrats, you should have no problem Oc'ing it. As for the Bios, you may have to use jumpers and blocks on the mobo to directly change the settings.

"When there's a will, there's a way."

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I went on to the Dell support page and I looked up my computer and I got the technical specs of it. It says I have a Intel 440BX AGP Chipset. You said I should no problem ocing it so... now what? THanks

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Ok, so you said the computer is OEM, right? Dell probably locked the BIOS, so you may have to look for some kind of manual that came with the computer or look on Dells website. If you can find the motherboard, you can also locate the company that made it, and find technical details. Alright, the 440BX normally runs at 100Mhz FSB, so you want to OC it. The 440BX is known to stably run at 133Mhz, so you want to look for some kind of way to increase the FSB.

"When there's a will, there's a way."

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
You need to find out what max speed your mainboard will support and FSB clock setting jumpers. It's hard to say since it's been so long since I bought a OEM system, but more than likely you may find a jumper setting for 133 MHZ FSB. Your data sheet should say whether or not it'll do 133

:cool: Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!! :cool:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Dell used the Intel SE440BX motherboard (modified for the Dell power supply and front panel header), which would not allow clocks above 100MHz. But there are programs for overclocking in Windows, such as CPUFSB or SoftFSB. In fact SoftFSB has a setting specifically for that board.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?