how to map network printer to remote server

January 11, 2005 5:07:09 PM

Alexi Wrote:
> Here at my job, we have a UTAX network-ready printer that is connected
> with its own ip address on the network. When I connect to our remote
> server by "Remote Desktop", I want the programs on -that -server to be
> able to print to the UTAX. How do I do this? Thanks

Forgot to add: The server is server 2003, the clients are XP
Professional. :)

--
Alexi
Anonymous

If you add the printer as a LOCAL printer on the server (on a Standard
TCP/IP port - see
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/Printing%20to%20Print%2...),
any user that logs on locally or remotely (via RDC) will be able to use the
printer - it will appear in the Printers and Faxes folder in the RDC
session.

If you add the printer as a Local printer on some other computer and share
it, then add that shared printer is a NETWORK printer on the server, only
the user that Added the printer on the server would be able to use it unless
you add the printer Globally - see
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterAllUsers.htm.

If you add the printer to the Windows XP workstations, either as a local or
a network printer, the RDC client can be configured to redirect the
workstation's printer to the RDC session. Use the Options button and select
the Local Resources tab in the RDC dialog box. To get this to work, you
have to have the driver for the printer also installed on the server (to
which the users are connecting via RDC). I suggest avoid using this option
if possible as, among other things, it can result in unnecessary network
traffic.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing

!