Hard Disk Partitioning Problem: Can't Create "D:"

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtiangankaico

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
I recently installed windows 7. In doing so, I reformatted Drives C: (Boot, page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) and D: (System, Active, Primary Partition).

Installation went perfectly until i noticed that when i checked on the Computers tab, I found out that drive "D" was missing. At first I thought that windows 7 somehow merged C: and D; into just one drive, But then I realized that over 50gbs of memory was missing from the remaining drive. I went to Disk management and found a volume that contained the missing 50gbs of memory and that didn't have a letter assigned. I went ahead and changed the drive letter and path but then i could not assign it with the Letter D:. All other letters were available but "D:" was not. Why can't I create a "D: " partition anymore?

All I want is to have the same partitioning as my old laptop where the C: (system, boot, page file, active, crash dump, primary partition) was used for the Operating system and D: (Logical Drive) was used for storing photos, videos, documents etc.

Strange, you did assign the drives in a non standard way, normally you make the C: drive is the system drive and the D: drive the data drive. By assigning the function of the drive as you have Windows 7 will normally make the logical D drive the C drive and the logical C drive the D drive. However when you partition a hard drive in Window 7 it creates a system recovery partition which is invisible to the user on Windows which is normally the logical D drive but in your case the logical E drive.
Are you sure that any removable media slots on your computer have not been assigned the D drive position? Try putting in media to any card slots or USB slots you may have and see if they are assigned to be the D drive if so use disk management to reassign the drive.

I am slow today I must be tired time for bed. You cannot change a system drives drive letter, because if you did it would possibly stop Windows from working. Your E drive will become a system drive if you assign it as the location for your documents or swap file, temp files etc. Undo any system resource changes that you have made so that the drive isn’t a system drive and then change the drive letter.

ermirsh

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
I shirk the volume in my drive C: (250 GB to 123 GB), to unallocated.. New Simple Volume and click to Finish, than have a message box and it says "You cannot create a new volume in this unallocated space because the disk already contains the maximum number of partitions". pls help

Hi there,

Its one year old thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.