thermal compound

jedge78

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
are thermal compound and thermal adhesive the same thing, if not which do i need to connect a cpu to the motherboard. Also, are thermal pads neccesary?

Thanx Guys

G

Thermal adhesive is glue that also transfers heat. Thermal compound is typically a little better at transfering heat - but does not adhere to anything. Thermal pads are just a little more user-friendly than thermal compound- but don't work as well at transferring heat (that is, your CPU will run a little warmer). You want thermal compound (preferably Artic Silver 3) to attach a CPU Cooler to the CPU, but nothing between the CPU and the motherboard.

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
there are clips on your motherboard to attach your heatskink to it, sandwiching your cpu inbetween. There is also a lever which kinda holds the cpu in place in the socket.

Use thermal compound, or grease, between the cpu and heatsink to improve heat transfer, not to attach it.

-- There are no answers to find in the bottom of a glass. But you can have fun looking for them.

G

You are, of course, very correct. "attach" was a poor word to use... what I meant was "WHEN you attach your heatsink to the CPU you use thermal compound" I didn't intend to say that the compound actually attached it....

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
i didnt think so but i didnt want matey to get the wrong idea.
:)

-- There are no answers to find in the bottom of a glass. But you can have fun looking for them.