I have lost all faith in trying to get Fallout 3 (original version) working on my new July 2012 build (i7 3770, ASUS 7970 HD, Win 7 32bit, Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM, Samsung 128 SSD, ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe, and various bells and whistles).
So far I've:
- updated the graphics drivers
- done the fiddle with the task manager by altering the affinity and compatability modes
- changed the ini file with the two recommended changes
- scaled back the auto saves and level of detail
- prayed to the dark tech gods to release me from this anguish
I've built this cracking rig, just want to enjoy what was a great game I had for PS3 in a friendlier PC environment :-( If you can solve this problem, I'll sing your praises like a madman until I drop dead.
FYI Up until this point I had managed to get through until leaving the vault no problem, once in megaton it would freeze randomly (inside and outside buildings) and also badly in the village covered with landmines (inside and outside).
and , btw what are you doing using 32 bit? for a high end computer you should get 64 bit
Going to get a 64bit Windows, didn't intend on splurging on Mr Gates retirement fund just yet, had the OS from a previous computer. Shouldn't matter 32/64, Fallout 3 should function for more than 5mins regardless lol!