The Must-Play games of the early 21stCentury

ashim8813

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
Hey so I was wondering whether we should have a community thread where we put up the must-play games for PC that came about from about 1995-2005, many people seem to be oblivious to the fact that some great games came out in this period (at least, in my area). Most people nowadays focus on the current games such as Crysis and Skyrim (both of which are good games) but I thought the older ones need a little exposure here.

So here's my view: 1) Starcraft (and it's expansion Brood War)
2) Civilization
3) Halo Combat Evolved (I've seen many people skip this game and go straight to 3 and Reach)
4) Devil May Cry 3
5) Shogun Total War (the first one)

Try to keep the lists short, not really more than 4-5 i guess, and don't repeat of course! Looking forward to finding out about games! :)

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
i got a couple that i still play to this day like

- Battlezone 2 (RTS/FPS)
- Savage 1 (RTS/FPS)
- FreeSpace 2
- Diablo 2
- Starcraft (already mentioned)

I normally go back to battlezone 2 every so often and play through it, one of my favourite LAN games from back in 99-00', same for savage.

brings back memories of my buddy getting the geforce4 MX4000 and i was still rocking a GeForce2 MX400 64mb, was so jealous that he could run savage at max settings.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
Dark Forces, Star Wars themed shooter has some notable features (though this may have been pre 95 Im to lazy to check)

Hidden & Dangerous, Nothing Revolutionary but was a good game

Half Life + CS mod and Wanted mod, who remembers 56k modem CS gaming? (HL changed gaming, CS created online gaming as we know it)

Grand Theft Auto, It was dam fun and god it caused controversy

Battlefield: Vietnam , Trolling people online in a Huey blasting Wagners Ride of the Valkyries!

Operation Flashpoint - Cold War Crisis, This defined the mil sim genre

ashim8813

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012

Lol yeah I remember the friends who had better computers and had the benefit of playing with stable frame rates :D

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

warcraft III i still play from time to time, and i liked the might and magic series, currently still playing through VI, i found that IV and V were not all that great.

Heroes 4 was horrendous, 5 didn't get much better because it was the first time ubisoft was doing the game after they acquired the IP. 6 on the other hand is quite decent with a few new mechanics that add to gameplay.

OP:
1. Jagged Alliance 2
2. Freelanceer
3. Cossacks: European Wars
4. Total Annihilation
5. MechWarrior 3, 4

I mean, when you take a decade, there's hundreds of good games that come out during that period.