Motherboard HELP!!

ComputerGeek101

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2002
O.k. I am building a new computer and I need help deciding on the right Mobo. They are kind of confusing to me right now but I am going to be doing alot more research and stuff.I guess my question is, how do I decided on what mobo to get and what do I need to keep in mind when deciding? Thanks for all your info. It is greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much,
Tedro

G

1. Specify type of CPU.
2. Specify type of RAM.

OK, that's a beginning.

G

Depends on what you need and how much you intend to spend mostly. So your first step is that: determine your needs and budget. The next step would probably be to decide whether you want to go AMD or Intel. In general I would (others may argue otherwise) suggest AMD - better performance for cheaper overall cost. But Intel is still good. Then look for all the boards that fit have the features you want. Then find reviews for those boards and ask around to find out what kind of experiences people have had with those. You will want to look for things like integrated sound, video, or LAN if you want those things otherwise, don't pay for them. Look at RAM type, BIOS settings, chipset (one of the most important factors - in general the KT266A and KT333 are the best performers) if you plan to overclock (which I will assume since this is the overclocking forum) you want to look at availible room around the CPU socket for large heatsink, northbridge cooling, power plug placement (you don't want the wires to block the heatsink), and reviews on the overclockability of the board (e.g. the KR7A and XP333R are good at this). Anyway... I'm sure I left lots of stuff out. Try also looking for "Motherboard buying guides" online - just make sure that it's reputable place (Like THG). Once you figure out your needs (wants) and budget - maybe we can give some more specific advice.

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
After reading stuff and past experience, I usually go with AMD for the processor, as it is cheap and just as good as the Intel chips. I currently am in the process of installing an XP 2000 1.65 GHz CPU. I also go with Asus motherboards, as the past 2 I have had and my current one - all great boards. I currently have an A7V266-E in one system and a normal A7V266 in another system. For RAM, if you want Quality and good ram, go for Crucial. If you get the motherboards I mentioned, you'll need DDR RAM, although expensive, it is the only kind supported on the mobo's I have. Check out Newegg.com for some parts prices. I have never had a problem with them and they have pretty decent pricing.

[If loving AMD processors is the path to the Dark Side, consider me a Sith Lord. (dinoX)]