Send faliures since installing XP Pro

All of my faxes sent just fine on WIN98, but since XP Pro upgrade several
clients fax machines will no longer "receive" transmissions. the message says
"failed to train" in some cases I have watched the modem send gear down from
14400 to 9600 to 2400 and it still fails. I am still using the same fax
program, Win Fax Pro 10.0, same internal modem US Robotics 56K Fax Win. I
have tried using XP Fax and some clients who could recieve using Win Fax
Pro, now cannot. When I switch back to Win Fax, then some that could receive
using XP FAx now cannot get transmission to train. It's random, some are
local calls, some are long distance, I can't find a common denominator. I
have even installed HP fax features that are part of my printer, but even
that seems to get corrupted. Send logs won't open, etc. Life was simple
before upgrade, I used one progrram WinFaxPro to send and receive to desk
top, now it is way too complicated. Is there some setting for modem in XP
that need an adjustment so "send" will work for all types of reciepients?
This is crippling my office work since I send out all orders via fax to my
vendors. Please help!
--
Kathy in Great Northwest

There was a problem with the in-box driver for certain USR modems in the
initial release of Windows XP that you might be seeing:
-------------------------------------
We have a confirmed bug in the in-box driver of certain USR modems. Any fax
program that relies on the Fax section in this modem's .inf file will cause
the modem to transmit in 2400 bps. XP Fax relies on this entry. The 2400 bps
issue can be seen in the log. Future releases (XP SP1, .Net Server) will
include a fix.

Details:

1. Cause: A problem in the modem's in-box driver (= .inf file). A modem's
inf can have an entry specifying a custom "ResetCommand" - a string that
would bring the modem to a known state. According to the DDK, in this state
echo must be off. With this particular modem (and several other USR models),
the string doesn't bring it to echo-off state. Therefore, fax's
identification sequence gets confused by the echoed commands, can't figure
out send/receive capabilities, and falls back to 2400.

2. Workaround:

In the Registry open:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96D-E325-11C
E-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\Fax and delete ResetCommand key.

Then delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Fax\TAPIDevices and use
the device again.

The workaround deletes the custom ResetCommand entry from unimodem's
registry. It then deletes Microsoft Fax FSP's cache, forcing it to redetect
the modem using a default ResetCommand (that works).

A .reg file can't be full-proof, because it will fail in case of multiple
modems or modem drivers. In this case, user must change the "0000" to the
number corresponding to the modem driver in question.
-------------------------------------

Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax often has difficulty in the most pristine
settings. Once you've installed other fax software (even if you've removed
it) it's usually toast. These errors have been nearly impossible to track
down. To do so requires enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax
transmissions, both of which require fairly extensive registry changes.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

"Kathy in Great Northwest" <KAthy GNW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E2BF8630-9C84-4DB6-8B2C-3466A3F7B154@microsoft.com...
> All of my faxes sent just fine on WIN98, but since XP Pro upgrade several
> clients fax machines will no longer "receive" transmissions. the message
says
> "failed to train" in some cases I have watched the modem send gear down
from
> 14400 to 9600 to 2400 and it still fails. I am still using the same fax
> program, Win Fax Pro 10.0, same internal modem US Robotics 56K Fax Win. I
> have tried using XP Fax and some clients who could recieve using Win Fax
> Pro, now cannot. When I switch back to Win Fax, then some that could
receive
> using XP FAx now cannot get transmission to train. It's random, some are
> local calls, some are long distance, I can't find a common denominator. I
> have even installed HP fax features that are part of my printer, but even
> that seems to get corrupted. Send logs won't open, etc. Life was simple
> before upgrade, I used one progrram WinFaxPro to send and receive to desk
> top, now it is way too complicated. Is there some setting for modem in XP
> that need an adjustment so "send" will work for all types of reciepients?
> This is crippling my office work since I send out all orders via fax to my
> vendors. Please help!
> --
> Kathy in Great Northwest

Hal, Thanks for your response. I was able to follow all of these instructions
but it has not changed the situation. FYI I have SP2 since it was part of the
XP Pro I purchased. I have now completely removed the XP fax, reinstalled Win
Fax and still have same problem. This leads me to believe that it is an XP
related problem and even with SP2 there is still a bug. Is ther another way
to reset the USR modem? Still need to send faxes!

"Hal Hostetler [MVP S/U]" wrote:

> [...]
> > program, Win Fax Pro 10.0, same internal modem US Robotics 56K Fax Win. I
> > have tried using XP Fax and some clients who could recieve using Win Fax
> > Pro, now cannot. When I switch back to Win Fax, then some that could
> receive
> > using XP FAx now cannot get transmission to train. It's random, some are
> > local calls, some are long distance, I can't find a common denominator. I
> > have even installed HP fax features that are part of my printer, but even
> > that seems to get corrupted. Send logs won't open, etc. Life was simple
> > before upgrade, I used one progrram WinFaxPro to send and receive to desk
> > top, now it is way too complicated. Is there some setting for modem in XP
> > that need an adjustment so "send" will work for all types of reciepients?
> > This is crippling my office work since I send out all orders via fax to my

There's really nothing I can do to help with WinFax. I don't have it,
don't use it, and Symantec's support for it is all but nonexistent. The
only help I can offer is the instructions for enabling both PSS and debug
logging of fax transmissions in the registry. I can pass the logs created
on to folks who might be able to figure out what's happening.

Hal
--

message news:09CF7A32-2F0E-49FE-B853-03306ABE0C3A@microsoft.com...