Best Place to Buy a V710

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
March 18, 2005 7:46:28 PM

I'm trying to find the best place, in terms of simplicity, lack of fraud
potential and cost, to buy a Motorola V710. At the local Verizon store
(maximum simplicity, zero fraud, high cost) they're $420 without any
contract. I already have a AC Family plan so a contract isn't an option.
However, it appears if I extend my personal AC phone's contract for one
year, the price drops to $380.

Any thoughts or comments from those who recently purchased this phone
greatly appreciated. Thanks.

More about : place buy v710

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 1:38:14 AM

If I'm not getting to personal here, can I ask why you want to buy a
V710? I have one, and am totally disappointed in the phone. Is there a
specific reason your wanting one?

--
bossdragon
March 19, 2005 1:38:15 AM

bossdragon wrote:
| If I'm not getting to personal here, can I ask why you want to buy a
| V710? I have one, and am totally disappointed in the phone. Is there a
| specific reason your wanting one?

I have a v710 and find it to be an excellent phone - what disappoints you??

I'd enthusiastically recommend the v710 to the OP.......

The OP can buy v710s easily on eBay.....that's where I got mine.....

PC

| John Wrote:
|| I'm trying to find the best place, in terms of simplicity, lack of
|| fraud
|| potential and cost, to buy a Motorola V710. At the local Verizon
|| store (maximum simplicity, zero fraud, high cost) they're $420
|| without any contract. I already have a AC Family plan so a contract
|| isn't an option.
|| However, it appears if I extend my personal AC phone's contract for
|| one
|| year, the price drops to $380.
|| Any thoughts or comments from those who recently purchased this phone
|| greatly appreciated. Thanks.
March 19, 2005 1:39:58 AM

try amazon.com, they have some good prices after rebates now.

"John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote in message
> I'm trying to find the best place, in terms of simplicity, lack of fraud
> potential and cost, to buy a Motorola V710. At the local Verizon store
> (maximum simplicity, zero fraud, high cost) they're $420 without any
> contract. I already have a AC Family plan so a contract isn't an option.
> However, it appears if I extend my personal AC phone's contract for one
> year, the price drops to $380.
>
> Any thoughts or comments from those who recently purchased this phone
> greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 2:55:46 AM

First it is flimsy in build. Hold the phone open and try and move your
hand up and down. the cover just flops around. Put a full leather cover
on it and the cover just hangs there.

Second, the camera (a 1.2 megapixel) is terrible. No flash, so inside
shots are completely out of the question unless perfect lighting, and
the pic's themselves aren't close to what I expected. (my LG VX7000 and
Audo 9900 take way better shots and they aren't even megapixel
camera's)

The button's are way to close together. I end up pressing the wrong
button about 75% of the time.

The bluetooth has been crippled so bad (by Verizon) that it might as
well not have it. Even when using the Moto Bluetooth headset, and
trying to call somebody, all it does is call the last number dialed.

Now with the new firmware update, downloaded ringtones on the memory
card don't work (another Verizon cripplier).

This should be enough to say that I am totally disappointed in the
phone.

--
bossdragon
March 19, 2005 2:55:47 AM

bossdragon wrote:
| First it is flimsy in build. Hold the phone open and try and move your
| hand up and down. the cover just flops around. Put a full leather
| cover on it and the cover just hangs there.

I don't agree - I think it's as robust as any other phone...

| Second, the camera (a 1.2 megapixel) is terrible. No flash, so inside
| shots are completely out of the question unless perfect lighting, and
| the pic's themselves aren't close to what I expected. (my LG VX7000
| and Audo 9900 take way better shots and they aren't even megapixel
| camera's)

True - but a minor point, IMO......

| The button's are way to close together. I end up pressing the wrong
| button about 75% of the time.

I have big hands and no problems.....practice makes perfect

| The bluetooth has been crippled so bad (by Verizon) that it might as
| well not have it. Even when using the Moto Bluetooth headset, and
| trying to call somebody, all it does is call the last number dialed.

Nonsense - the Moto headset works perfectly and is exceptionally clear.....

I've read about "crippled" Bluetooth, but I have found that I can do
anything I want to do with the phone in re transferring data, etc., without
problems. The key to Bluetooth is the wireless accessories and they work
just fine.....

| Now with the new firmware update, downloaded ringtones on the memory
| card don't work (another Verizon cripplier).

Another minor point. I find that I can transfer anything on the memory card
to phone memory - although I've not tried ringtones which I consider to be a
nonessential "frill" of little or no value....

| This should be enough to say that I am totally disappointed in the
| phone.

You left out a number of facts that matter more than ringtones to many:

1. The built in speakerphone is EXCELLENT.

2. The performance of the phone as a phone is OUTSTANDIING - as good as any
phone I've ever tried.

3. The voicedial function works perfectly and does NOT require training or
tagging...a major advantage.

4. The display is clear, sharp and has high resolution.

5. Battery life is excellent.

Sooooo, sorry to say, but I can't agree with your assessment of this very,
very good phone....!

PC

| Proconsul Wrote:
|| bossdragon wrote:
||| If I'm not getting to personal here, can I ask why you want to buy a
||| V710? I have one, and am totally disappointed in the phone. Is
||| there a specific reason your wanting one?
|| I have a v710 and find it to be an excellent phone - what disappoints
|| you??
|| I'd enthusiastically recommend the v710 to the OP.......
|| The OP can buy v710s easily on eBay.....that's where I got mine.....
|| PC
March 19, 2005 3:17:41 AM

Try http://www.ebay.com .

"John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote in message
> I'm trying to find the best place, in terms of simplicity, lack of fraud
> potential and cost, to buy a Motorola V710. At the local Verizon store
> (maximum simplicity, zero fraud, high cost) they're $420 without any
> contract. I already have a AC Family plan so a contract isn't an option.
> However, it appears if I extend my personal AC phone's contract for one
> year, the price drops to $380.
>
> Any thoughts or comments from those who recently purchased this phone
> greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 3:46:29 AM

Proconsul Wrote:
> bossdragon wrote:
> | First it is flimsy in build. Hold the phone open and try and move
> your
> | hand up and down. the cover just flops around. Put a full leather
> | cover on it and the cover just hangs there.
>
> I don't agree - I think it's as robust as any other phone...
>

> | The bluetooth has been crippled so bad (by Verizon) that it might as
> | well not have it. Even when using the Moto Bluetooth headset, and
> | trying to call somebody, all it does is call the last number dialed.
>
> Nonsense - the Moto headset works perfectly and is exceptionally
> clear.....
>
> I've read about "crippled" Bluetooth, but I have found that I can do
> anything I want to do with the phone in re transferring data, etc.,
> without
> problems. The key to Bluetooth is the wireless accessories and they
> work
> just fine.....
>
> | Now with the new firmware update, downloaded ringtones on the memory
> | card don't work (another Verizon cripplier).
>
> Another minor point. I find that I can transfer anything on the memory
> card
> to phone memory - although I've not tried ringtones which I consider to
> be a
> nonessential "frill" of little or no value....
>
> You left out a number of facts that matter more than ringtones to
> many:
>
> 1. The built in speakerphone is EXCELLENT.
>
> 2. The performance of the phone as a phone is OUTSTANDIING - as good as
> any
> phone I've ever tried.
>
> 3. The voicedial function works perfectly and does NOT require training
> or
> tagging...a major advantage..
>
> 4. The display is clear, sharp and has high resolution.
>
> 5. Battery life is excellent.
>
> Sooooo, sorry to say, but I can't agree with your assessment of this
> very,
> very good phone....!
>
> PC
>
> | Proconsul Wrote:
> || I have a v710 and find it to be an excellent phone - what
> disappoints
> || you??
> || I'd enthusiastically recommend the v710 to the OP.......
> || The OP can buy v710s easily on eBay.....that's where I got
> mine.....
> || PC

The voice dial does not work perfectly. With a Moto bluetooth headset,
try and voice dial somebody. Every time I try all it does is dial the
last person I called.

Put this phone against a Audio 9900, a VX7000 or a VX 8000, and you'll
notice a big difference in display and quality.

This is suppose to be a MP3 player also. Play some songs...see how long
the battery lasts. Once again, also try and use a bluetooth headset to
listen to the music, and see what happens.....nothing.

As for you not not being able to agree with me...that's great. We all
have our personal opinions, and that's what makes this and other forums
great. Now the person asking the question can see both sides and make up
his/her mind. Ya gotta love it!

--
bossdragon
March 19, 2005 4:57:27 AM

bossdragon wrote:

<snip>

|| You left out a number of facts that matter more than ringtones to
|| many:
|| 1. The built in speakerphone is EXCELLENT.
|| 2. The performance of the phone as a phone is OUTSTANDIING - as good
|| as any
|| phone I've ever tried.
|| 3. The voicedial function works perfectly and does NOT require
|| training or
|| tagging...a major advantage..
|| 4. The display is clear, sharp and has high resolution.
|| 5. Battery life is excellent.
|| Sooooo, sorry to say, but I can't agree with your assessment of this
|| very,
|| very good phone....!
|| PC
|
| The voice dial does not work perfectly. With a Moto bluetooth headset,
| try and voice dial somebody. Every time I try all it does is dial the
| last person I called.

You keep repeating yourself....voicedial DOES work perfectly. I can dial
anyone in my phonebookusing the bluetooth headset AND anyone else using the
"digit dial" function. If yours doesn't, get the phone fixed or replaced....

| Put this phone against a Audio 9900, a VX7000 or a VX 8000, and you'll
| notice a big difference in display and quality.

I did before buying - the v710 is just as good as any of them....

| This is suppose to be a MP3 player also. Play some songs...see how
| long the battery lasts. Once again, also try and use a bluetooth
| headset to listen to the music, and see what happens.....nothing.

I don't listen to MP3s using my cell phone. It is, after all, a phone, not
an iPod. I play music on my iPod but don't try to make phone calls with
it.....:)  Both the iPod and the v710 exhibit great battery life......when
used for their intended purpose.....!

| As for you not not being able to agree with me...that's great. We all
| have our personal opinions, and that's what makes this and other
| forums great. Now the person asking the question can see both sides
| and make up his/her mind. Ya gotta love it!

I don't mind disagreements, but your assertions are, in the main, I'm sorry
to report, false......

There's nothing "great" about this forum - this instance is a good example
of the proliferation of FUD and the propensity to make false assertions.....

PC
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 5:43:41 AM

In article <bossdragon.1m4n1z@nospam.cellphoneforums.net>,
bossdragon <bossdragon.1m4n1z@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

> First it is flimsy in build. Hold the phone open and try and move
> your hand up and down. the cover just flops around. Put a full
> leather cover on it and the cover just hangs there.

Not with mine.

> Second, the camera (a 1.2 megapixel) is terrible. No flash,

It has a light that stays on rather than flashes; I don't know whether
it is bright enough, though.

> The bluetooth has been crippled so bad (by Verizon) that it might as
> well not have it. Even when using the Moto Bluetooth headset, and
> trying to call somebody, all it does is call the last number dialed.

No. you push the button and release it; it asks you for a command. you
say "Name Dial" and it asks you for the name. You tell it the name, and
it calls the number. If there's more than one number associated with
the name, it will ask you which number, and you tell it "Home" "work"
"mobile" etc. Instead of name dial, you can say "redial" or "digit
dial" or some other commands.

If you hold the button down too long, it will beep and then call the
last number dialed. but if that's what you want to do then it isn't too
long.

The only way the bluetooth is crippled is that it won't synch phone
books and won't transfer files.

March 19, 2005 9:18:18 AM

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 22:38:14 -0600, bossdragon
<bossdragon.1m4jky@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>If I'm not getting to personal here, can I ask why you want to buy a
>V710? I have one, and am totally disappointed in the phone. Is there a
>specific reason your wanting one?

If you visit Howards Forums you will find that the majority of 710
owners like it. Yes the bluetooth crippling is disappointing but that
was Verizon's issue.

http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid...
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 3:12:26 PM

It is the only BT Verizon phone. Works well with Acura TL.
Has good reception, and the screen is nice.

I've had LG's in the past, and I was extremely dissapointed
with the V710 build. I went through 4 of them in the first week
so I could get one with a decent keypad. Then I had a loose
keypad, but they replaced it again due to some charging problems
so I got one that isn't too bad now. Tactile on the keypad still is
not very good. For the price, the keypad should be better.

Carl

"bossdragon" <bossdragon.1m4jky@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

> If I'm not getting to personal here, can I ask why you want to buy a
> V710? I have one, and am totally disappointed in the phone. Is there a
> specific reason your wanting one?
>
> John Wrote:
> > I'm trying to find the best place, in terms of simplicity, lack of
> > fraud
> > potential and cost, to buy a Motorola V710. At the local Verizon store
> > (maximum simplicity, zero fraud, high cost) they're $420 without any
> > contract. I already have a AC Family plan so a contract isn't an
> > option.
> > However, it appears if I extend my personal AC phone's contract for
> > one
> > year, the price drops to $380.
> >
> > Any thoughts or comments from those who recently purchased this phone
> > greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>

> --
> bossdragon

March 19, 2005 9:34:52 PM

In article <wZSdnU7uR6nmwKHfRVn-2g@comcast.com>,
"Carl S. Moore" <csmNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote:

> It is the only BT Verizon phone. Works well with Acura TL.

Can it upload the phone book to the TL's phone book?

March 20, 2005 2:06:59 PM

I don't know about the Acura, but I have read the most recent firmware
(version xxx.40, I believe) allows uploading the phone book to many MY 2005
BMW's, specifically the X3. It seems every auto manufacturer has a slightly
different flavour of Bluetooth implementation so you really need to try it
yourself. The 15 day return policy should help.

"Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message
> In article <wZSdnU7uR6nmwKHfRVn-2g@comcast.com>,
> "Carl S. Moore" <csmNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > It is the only BT Verizon phone. Works well with Acura TL.
>
> Can it upload the phone book to the TL's phone book?
>
> --
> Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Impeach the son of a Bush.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 5:13:53 PM

In article <Iah%d.58149$%Y4.7816@bignews6.bellsouth.net>,
"John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote:

> I don't know about the Acura, but I have read the most recent
> firmware (version xxx.40, I believe) allows uploading the phone book
> to many MY 2005 BMW's, specifically the X3. It seems every auto
> manufacturer has a slightly different flavour of Bluetooth
> implementation so you really need to try it yourself. The 15 day
> return policy should help.

Yes, I did try it myself, with my Prius; it doesn't work. I asked about
the Acura TL because I was curious as to whether it worked with that car
(actually to any car, for that matter).

What is the procedure to upload the V710's phone book to your BMW X3?

March 20, 2005 8:01:50 PM

Michelle, a post from a BMW news group:

"I have a 2005 X3 with BMW assist, bluetooth capable and a V710 with verizon
and it is working properly. With the new software upgrade from Verizon and
the PK number on the card from BMW for the bluetooth in the car and proper
pairing the phone to the car you should be able to use the buttons on the
steering wheel.
Pairing must be done between the phone and the car within 2 minutes of
turning the key from the 0 position to any other position. It should also
download your phonebook from the phone which will be displayed on the radio
readout.
Check the owners manuel for the phone to find out how to get to the screen
for pairing the phone to the car.

Here's what I did and it worked:

On the phone
Menus
Settings
Connection
Bluetooth link
Setup
(Turn the key to position 1 or above)
Find me
Should fine bluetooth and say BMW 46843 (that's what mine said)
Select
(It should then ask for the 4 digit pin #)
Put in 4 digits from the BMW card: PK ????
Select
This should allow the connection and download the phone book. Don't change
the position of the key while the phone book is downloading.

...."

It seems one important aspect is proper pairing for the phone and car. Hope
that helps.

> In article <Iah%d.58149$%Y4.7816@bignews6.bellsouth.net>,
> "John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote:
>
> > I don't know about the Acura, but I have read the most recent
> > firmware (version xxx.40, I believe) allows uploading the phone book
> > to many MY 2005 BMW's, specifically the X3. It seems every auto
> > manufacturer has a slightly different flavour of Bluetooth
> > implementation so you really need to try it yourself. The 15 day
> > return policy should help.
>
> Yes, I did try it myself, with my Prius; it doesn't work. I asked about
> the Acura TL because I was curious as to whether it worked with that car
> (actually to any car, for that matter).
>
> What is the procedure to upload the V710's phone book to your BMW X3?
>
> --
> Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Impeach the son of a Bush.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 8:01:51 PM

In article <tkm%d.41634$Q83.7380@bignews5.bellsouth.net>,
"John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote:

> It seems one important aspect is proper pairing for the phone and
> car. Hope that helps.

The instructions you forwarded are for pairing the car and the phone to
each other; it implies that whenever the car and phone are paired, the
address book is automatically copied from the phone to the car, and that
the user doesn't have to do anything to effect the transfer.

With the Prius, you have to press a command on the car's display to
transfer the phone book, and the display then tells you to send the data
from the phone. However, with the 710, there is nothing to allow you to
send the data.

March 20, 2005 11:14:58 PM

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:55:46 -0600, bossdragon
<bossdragon.1m4n1z@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>First it is flimsy in build. Hold the phone open and try and move your
>hand up and down. the cover just flops around. Put a full leather cover
>on it and the cover just hangs there.

I don't have this issue. Actually, I think mine is fairy sturdy.

>Second, the camera (a 1.2 megapixel) is terrible. No flash, so inside
>shots are completely out of the question unless perfect lighting, and
>the pic's themselves aren't close to what I expected. (my LG VX7000 and
>Audo 9900 take way better shots and they aren't even megapixel
>camera's)

The camera is a bit better since the firmware was been updated,
but it's not a great camera. However, I didn't get it for the
camera and will only use it for the times I don't have my 'real'
camera. So for me, it's a 'so what?'

>The button's are way to close together. I end up pressing the wrong
>button about 75% of the time.

Hmm. I don't have huge hands but I don't have this problem at
all. Besides, with name dial, digit dial, memory dial and hands
free dialing with my car, this is not an issue at all (to me).

>The bluetooth has been crippled so bad (by Verizon) that it might as
>well not have it. Even when using the Moto Bluetooth headset, and
>trying to call somebody, all it does is call the last number dialed.

The main reason I got a Bluetooth phone is so I could use it with
Hands free link in my car (Acura). It works great for that.
Anything else is gravy.

>Now with the new firmware update, downloaded ringtones on the memory
>card don't work (another Verizon cripplier).

Not a big deal to me. If it is to you, I understand.

>This should be enough to say that I am totally disappointed in the
>phone.

It would be if I agreed with you.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 11:18:12 PM

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:34:52 -0700, Michelle Steiner
<michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

>In article <wZSdnU7uR6nmwKHfRVn-2g@comcast.com>,
> "Carl S. Moore" <csmNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> It is the only BT Verizon phone. Works well with Acura TL.
>
>Can it upload the phone book to the TL's phone book?

No but that's an issue with the way Acura implemented their
phonebook. The phonebook is based on voice recordings (you make)
of each entry. There is absolutely no way to get your phone's
phonebook entries automatically transferred into the TL (I have
one.) Again, this has nothing whatever to do with the V710.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 11:18:13 PM

In article <4fmr31ls7heri14ll6d2v7hql6rimqor9i@4ax.com>,
Lee Florack <lflorack@rochester.rr.com> wrote:

> >> It is the only BT Verizon phone. Works well with Acura TL.
> >
> >Can it upload the phone book to the TL's phone book?
>
> No but that's an issue with the way Acura implemented their
> phonebook. The phonebook is based on voice recordings (you make) of
> each entry. There is absolutely no way to get your phone's phonebook
> entries automatically transferred into the TL (I have one.) Again,
> this has nothing whatever to do with the V710.

It is an issue with the V710 and the Prius, though. The V710 does not
have a send, copy, or move menu item to send the address book to the
car. Other Motorola BlueTooth phones (for other providers) can transfer
the phone book one item at a time, but the V710 can't transfer any at
all.

It is the only major complaint I have about the V710.

March 21, 2005 11:22:38 AM

Michelle Steiner wrote:

>>> Can it upload the phone book to the TL's phone book?
>>
>> No but that's an issue with the way Acura implemented their
>> phonebook. The phonebook is based on voice recordings (you make) of
>> each entry. There is absolutely no way to get your phone's phonebook
>> entries automatically transferred into the TL (I have one.) Again,
>> this has nothing whatever to do with the V710.
>
> It is an issue with the V710 and the Prius, though. The V710 does not
> have a send, copy, or move menu item to send the address book to the
> car. Other Motorola BlueTooth phones (for other providers) can
> transfer the phone book one item at a time, but the V710 can't
> transfer any at all.
>
> It is the only major complaint I have about the V710.

Have a look at this list of the VZ flash update for the v710 (SW version
01.40.0R). Any comments on the entry
http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/p_forum.php?fm=m&ff=47...

..Add PAP extensions for phone book entry transfers to Bluetooth
Carkits - This feature was added due to high demand from V710 users as
well as greater compatibility with more advanced car kits.

March 22, 2005 12:35:37 PM

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:55:46 -0600, bossdragon
<bossdragon.1m4n1z@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>First it is flimsy in build. Hold the phone open and try and move your
>hand up and down. the cover just flops around. Put a full leather cover
>on it and the cover just hangs there.

I disagree -- The build is excellent. Fit and finish is excellent.

>Second, the camera (a 1.2 megapixel) is terrible. No flash, so inside
>shots are completely out of the question unless perfect lighting, and
>the pic's themselves aren't close to what I expected. (my LG VX7000 and
>Audo 9900 take way better shots and they aren't even megapixel
>camera's)

Not terrible, but not great - certainly nothing to complain about
concerning a phone camera.

>The button's are way to close together. I end up pressing the wrong
>button about 75% of the time.

The buttons are not too close together for me and I have a hard time
seeing your point after comparing the keys to my other phones.

>The bluetooth has been crippled so bad (by Verizon) that it might as
>well not have it. Even when using the Moto Bluetooth headset, and
>trying to call somebody, all it does is call the last number dialed.

Bluetooth works great! A big big selling point. Headset is a dream
and the voicedial is outstanding - no training necessary. Big kudos
to Motorola for getting this working. Limits imposed by Verizon
haven't affected me a bit.

>Now with the new firmware update, downloaded ringtones on the memory
>card don't work (another Verizon cripplier).

I have the original firmware. I don't see any reason to update the
phone.

>This should be enough to say that I am totally disappointed in the
>phone.

Wife's NE2 is due and I might get her a V710. Might wait for the
Razor, however, if it arrives with bluetooth.

cv
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 1:19:46 PM

"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in news:_fGdnfWvYrUie6PfRVn-
3g@comcast.com:

> Michelle Steiner wrote:

>>> No but that's an issue with the way Acura implemented their
>>> phonebook. The phonebook is based on voice recordings (you make) of
>>> each entry. There is absolutely no way to get your phone's phonebook
>>> entries automatically transferred into the TL (I have one.) Again,
>>> this has nothing whatever to do with the V710.
>>
>> It is an issue with the V710 and the Prius, though. The V710 does not
>> have a send, copy, or move menu item to send the address book to the
>> car. Other Motorola BlueTooth phones (for other providers) can
>> transfer the phone book one item at a time, but the V710 can't
>> transfer any at all.
>>
>> It is the only major complaint I have about the V710.
>
> Have a look at this list of the VZ flash update for the v710 (SW
version
> 01.40.0R). Any comments on the entry
> http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/p_forum.php?fm=m&ff=47...
>
> .Add PAP extensions for phone book entry transfers to Bluetooth
> Carkits - This feature was added due to high demand from V710 users as
> well as greater compatibility with more advanced car kits.

Just add a question to this thread, what, if any, are the differences
between buying a V710 from verizon or one from ebay besides price ? Do
the non-verizon sold ones have an uncrippled bluetooth ? Just curious
because I am replacing the POS LG that I picked 2 years ago. Mostly I
want to put a hardwired hands free unit in the jeep and be able to also
use a bluetooth ear set when out of the vehicle.
March 22, 2005 7:53:44 PM

The biggest difference about an ebay phone is knowing the phone will be
useable on the Verizon network. Some ESNs may be banned due to outstanding
bills, some phones advertized as "Verizon" may not be. You have more work to
do in determining the phone's authenticity. And I haven't really seen a big
price difference when you add all the shipping charges. Also, what if the
bluetooth doesn't function as you want or something else isn't to your
liking? You can return the phone to Verizon within 15 days, but there's no
such policy with ebay.

"Rich Pierson" <fist@ptd.net> wrote in message
> "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in news:_fGdnfWvYrUie6PfRVn-
> 3g@comcast.com:
>
> > Michelle Steiner wrote:

> >> It is an issue with the V710 and the Prius, though. The V710 does not
> >> have a send, copy, or move menu item to send the address book to the
> >> car. Other Motorola BlueTooth phones (for other providers) can
> >> transfer the phone book one item at a time, but the V710 can't
> >> transfer any at all.
> >>
> >> It is the only major complaint I have about the V710.
> >
> > Have a look at this list of the VZ flash update for the v710 (SW
> version
> > 01.40.0R). Any comments on the entry
> > http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/p_forum.php?fm=m&ff=47...
> >
> > .Add PAP extensions for phone book entry transfers to Bluetooth
> > Carkits - This feature was added due to high demand from V710 users as
> > well as greater compatibility with more advanced car kits.

> Just add a question to this thread, what, if any, are the differences
> between buying a V710 from verizon or one from ebay besides price ? Do
> the non-verizon sold ones have an uncrippled bluetooth ? Just curious
> because I am replacing the POS LG that I picked 2 years ago. Mostly I
> want to put a hardwired hands free unit in the jeep and be able to also
> use a bluetooth ear set when out of the vehicle.
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 1:11:30 AM

Resonable reasons, but with verizon turning off some of the bluetooth
options that they want to chage for would those options be turned on with
a seller that is selling the phone outright with no contract. Other than
using them I have not paid any attention to cellphones. I guess I'm
comparing them to say a PC from dell or gateway that has an intel
chipset. The GW and Dell have intel turn off alot of features on the
mainboards that are turned on when you use a retail or straight OEM
mainboard. This may be a misconception on my part and the comparision may
not be comparable between cellphones and computers, apple oranges thing.
I want the bluetooth for it's wireless functionality but would also like
to take pics and transfer them to a laptop or other sysytem w/o having to
pay verizon to email them, just transfer them over a dataline.It would
save me having to carry a digital camera as a seperate item to document
an infrastructure install. From what I have read here the last two days
this is not possible with the 710 at this time.

"John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote in

> The biggest difference about an ebay phone is knowing the phone will
> be useable on the Verizon network. Some ESNs may be banned due to
> outstanding bills, some phones advertized as "Verizon" may not be. You
> have more work to do in determining the phone's authenticity. And I
> haven't really seen a big price difference when you add all the
> shipping charges. Also, what if the bluetooth doesn't function as you
> want or something else isn't to your liking? You can return the phone
> to Verizon within 15 days, but there's no such policy with ebay.
>
> "Rich Pierson" <fist@ptd.net> wrote in message
>> "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in news:_fGdnfWvYrUie6PfRVn-
>> 3g@comcast.com:

>> > Have a look at this list of the VZ flash update for the v710 (SW
>> version
>> > 01.40.0R). Any comments on the entry
>> > http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/p_forum.php?fm=m&ff=47...
>> >
>> > .Add PAP extensions for phone book entry transfers to Bluetooth
>> > Carkits - This feature was added due to high demand from V710 users
>> > as well as greater compatibility with more advanced car kits.

>> Just add a question to this thread, what, if any, are the differences
>> between buying a V710 from verizon or one from ebay besides price ?
>> Do the non-verizon sold ones have an uncrippled bluetooth ? Just
>> curious because I am replacing the POS LG that I picked 2 years ago.
>> Mostly I want to put a hardwired hands free unit in the jeep and be
>> able to also use a bluetooth ear set when out of the vehicle.

Anonymous
March 23, 2005 4:05:07 PM

You can buy a verizon phone outright with no contract, from verizon,
RadioShack, BestBuy, an independent mall kiosk, etc. You just have to
pay full price. But, from where do you think RS and the others get the
phones? They get them from verizon.
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 4:05:08 PM

Jerome Zelinske <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in

> You can buy a verizon phone outright with no contract, from
> verizon,
> RadioShack, BestBuy, an independent mall kiosk, etc. You just have to
> pay full price. But, from where do you think RS and the others get
> the phones? They get them from verizon.

Yes 'but', those RS and kiosks are all verizon, att, etc. resellers. I may
be wrong here but I understood that if you buy one from one of the
suppliers on Ebay that it is marked motorola and the verizon name is not on
it anywhere. Is that incorrect ? Does moto only sell the models with the
providers name on it that they are intended for ? or is there a full blown
fully equipped no locked or disabled onboard functions phone out there.
What about the 710's from europe where verizon does not exist ? Do those
come with a euro phone company logo ?
Wonder how a startup would do that built a battle hardened road warrior
phone that came equipped with bluetooth for out of the car, usb for
downloading any pics or files and a hardwired car kit for invehicle
operation, gave it a monochrome monitor outside so you can see it in bright
sunlight with an inside color lcd and was still relatively small clamshell.
I'd spend $400 for that and not even blink...bet alot of sales and service
people would...
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 4:05:09 PM

Rich Pierson wrote:
> Jerome Zelinske <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in
>
>> You can buy a verizon phone outright with no
>> contract, from verizon,
>> RadioShack, BestBuy, an independent mall kiosk, etc.
>> You just have to pay full price. But, from where do you
>> think RS and the others get the phones? They get them
>> from verizon.
>
> Yes 'but', those RS and kiosks are all verizon, att, etc.
> resellers. I may be wrong here but I understood that if
> you buy one from one of the suppliers on Ebay that it is
> marked motorola and the verizon name is not on it
> anywhere. Is that incorrect ? Does moto only sell the
> models with the providers name on it that they are
> intended for ? or is there a full blown fully equipped no
> locked or disabled onboard functions phone out there.

Ebay sellers got the phone from the same places you or
I could get them from. They are not getting them direct
from the manufacturer unless the manufacturer does
direct sales. The eBay sellers may be pushing used phones
or they bought in bulk at discount. *Many* eBay sellers
are selling stuff they bought on eBay.

Manufacturers make a model of phone. They may make
that model specifically for a particular carrier or a specific
carrier may have an exclusive on it for some time. The
phones are made to be "branded". This includes cosmetics
and feature customization to the carrier's specifications.
This is done in firmware. Some smaller carrier's buy and
resell unbranded phones or ones with only cosmetic
customization. Sometimes manufacturer's will sell phones
with no cosmetic customization but with a particular carrier's
version of the firmware. Sometimes it's completely stock
with the "generic" firmware.

You should be able to find a "fully blown, fully equipped,
no locked or disabled onboard functions phone". Unfortunately,
with eBay there is not much way to tell until you have it in
hands. Many of the reputable sellers have no detailed
knowledge of their product. They're simply turning it over.
Smaller and less reputable sellers are going to say "sure"
to most any question you ask.

-Quick
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 1:19:33 PM

If it does not say verizon on it, then it does not have verizon
software in it, and maybe not all the hardware to work with all of
verizon's features. Phones from europe will likely be gsm phones which
will not work at all on verizon's CDMA network. They will likely be of
the wrong frequency to work on USA gsm networks also.
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 1:55:25 PM

There is another thing that that startup would have to do. It would
have to find carriers that would be willing to activate those phones on
their networks.
!