GTA IV super laggy.

stant1rm

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
I have a great gaming computer and just bought GTA IV on sale at Wal-Mart for $10. I installed it, updated it, and attempted to play. The problem is it's supper laggy in the menus. It takes 5-6 secs for the mouse point to move after I've moved it. It can even start the actually gameplay. I don't have any mods installed.

My PC

Intel Core i5 2500K

16GB DDR3-1866

Dual Radeon HD 6970's.

Solution
Make sure that the game is patched to version 1.0.4.0 at least. GTA IV was extremely buggy on release, and unpatched it might not be playable. You may also have Crossfire issues that are causing the game to run slow. Download the Catalyst Application Profile for GTA IV, and install it. Failing that, try disabling Crossfire and run the game with just one card.
Make sure that the game is patched to version 1.0.4.0 at least. GTA IV was extremely buggy on release, and unpatched it might not be playable. You may also have Crossfire issues that are causing the game to run slow. Download the Catalyst Application Profile for GTA IV, and install it. Failing that, try disabling Crossfire and run the game with just one card.

Solution