Trouble with one of 3DMark2001's test

jy88888888

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
In 3DMark2001, is the test with dragons on a carousel with 8 lights the most 3D intensive? I've tried overclocking my XP1700 and my Geforce 3 Ti200 but the framerate is still low. Does anyone else have this problem?

AMD VS INTEL - AMD anyday

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Most cards struggle with that test. I think it is related to AA with 8tap, which aboslutely can destroy performance. I believe this is where the Radeon cards can shine, with the Z-buffer thingy...I forget what it is called. All I know is that under anti-aliasing, the Radeon can pull ahead due to better memory management.

"When there's a will, there's a way."

svol

Champion
Think he wanted to reply to Quetzacoatl.
But anyway that test is really have for video cards, you have to see how my GeForce2 MX struggles with it.

<b>THGC:</b> before: :frown: :eek: , after: :smile: :cool: .

FatBurger

Illustrious
A friend of mine has a P4 @ 2.6 and a Ti4600 and it's finally smooth (~30fps). I'm not even going to tell you what my GF2MX pulls.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The R8500 handles that test quite easily, but as for FPS, I can't be sure.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Maybe I should have stated that a little clearer.The dragons are skinned in a reflective surface. The 8 lights create highlights and reflections on thousands if not millions of polygons in this test. So in each frame your comp must calculate which surface will be highlited and which wll be reflective.And if a surface is reflective,does it highlight or make another surface reflective.

It is even more complex but I think this simplified explanation will help.

I aint signing nothing!!!

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
I'm just guessing that is is similar in power demands of the Antialiasing, be it 2x 4x or 4x with 8tap (which absolutely drains performance). Still, even the highest Radeon and Gf3/4 systems stutter on this test. I guess it is CPU and graphics seriously intensive =/

"When there's a will, there's a way."