mjs

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2002

Hello,

We have a multi function printer shared at our server. Presently, I have it
configured as two shared printers... one with the manufacturer's driver for
printing color, the other with a generic driver for printing black.

Is there any way to configure these so that we can use the manufacturer's
driver for both, but disallow the black one from being able to print color
prints? It would be handy to be able to use all the functions of the
manufacturer's driver (i.e., stapling, duplex, etc), but for cost recovery,
we need to be able to keep the black and color copies logged separately.

Thanks,
MS

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

I can understand why someone might want to do this. However, consider that
printing a black and white (greyscale ) instead of a color rendition of the
same page is still going to use a fair amount of toner, just black instead
of the olther colors. I'd think that doing illustrations in greyscale would
not cost significantly more than doing the same page in color. It's true
that you would end up replacing the color toner a bit less, and the Black
toner a bit more if you printed most in greyscale. The true cost of a print
job might be more related to the per page percentage of paper covered. Now
if the generic driver will print in ASCII or postscript text only, that
might be a different story.