Ideas for new games, Software Co.'s pls read

Kanaz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Ok, so I was thinking...Wouldn't it be cool if I could tell people about my ideas for new games with the chance that someone overhearing could actually do something about it?

Is there anybody out there who has power?

Tell this thread your Ideas

"You need to be trusted by the people that you lie to, so that when they turn their backs on you, you get the chance to put the knife in."

Kanaz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Here is my first idea, feel free to tell me it sucks (if it does).

What about mixing a first-person shooter with a sports game? Online.

---

Football 3D
- -
You log onto a server. You pick a position (first come, first serve), Coach, QB, HB...ect.

Then once everyone is in, a game starts. You play firstperson of your charactor.

Spectators can take over a position if a player quits, or gets disconnected. (I'll be considered an injury or something).

The coach calls the plays, and it is then shown to the rest of the team.

This could expand all different ways too, but this would be a good starter.

"You need to be trusted by the people that you lie to, so that when they turn their backs on you, you get the chance to put the knife in."

Kanaz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
As a nice addon (look above), the servers could be different stadiums. How about add a stadium biulder to the game? Play on Moon you say? awesome, low-gravity football.

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
IMO the idea is good in theory, but in practice football requires too much team work and practice. You'll end up with crappy games, because you can't expect everybody that plays the game to know what they have to do.

It would be easier with hockey, but still there I have big doubts that it could work.

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies

1080jibber

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2002
Great idea, but goloap makes a good point. Football is much too teamwork dependent for an online game. However, it might work for a game like baseball, which is much slower and doesn't require as much planning as a football game does.

Jsf

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
There was a game of this type a while ago. By a while, I mean 5 to 10 years. I don't remember the name exactly but it had the word "star" in it. "Star commander" maybe?

CorpusBiscuit

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
There is a game in development called "Savage" that is combining FPS/RTS. One person plays from the RTS perspective, building, gathering resources and issuing orders; while the others play the "troops" from a FPS perspective.

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
I'm a bit skeptical that the game will work because what tells the guy that plays in RTS style that his troops will do what he tells them to do.

I think that a lot of people will just go and kill anything they see, regardless of the strategy that the RTS guy tries to put forward.

CorpusBiscuit

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
Supposedly when the person playing from the RTS perspective issues orders such as a building to attack the people playing from FPS perspective see it as a waypoint. But you do have a good point.

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
Do you seriously trust this guy with any of your ideas? Have you not read the quote at the end of his first post?

<i>Mmmm Dawn AND Eve at the same time...Drroooooll
-------------------------------------------------
<b>XP2800 Barton, 2x512Mb PC2700, ASUS A7N8X, PNY 64Mb Ti4200. :cool:

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Hehe well I didnt spill every idea to him. And the real value isnt gathering ideas, it takes a creative person to continually work on ideas to really make innovative games. Not just a few random ideas.

Thats what all the big companies do, copy a really great idea, then regurgitate it until it won't sell anymore.

If we had companies willing to invest in designers we might get new games..
instead of Warcraft 1, 2, 3.. diablo 1, 2... quake 1,2,3,4... doom 1,2,3... kings quest 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 (though KQ had a bit more innovation as it progressed..), give me a break!

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s, MX500

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
I agree with you. The idea of one commander and all other players in a FPS mode is a great idea. With some restrictions as you mention it could work. Only time will tell.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
There is a Half-Life mod called "International Online Soccer" that I saw on Planet Half-Life a few weeks ago. It sounded intruiging and was supposedly a fairly successful modification. You might want to check it out to pick up some more ideas for successful Multiplayer Sports games. I'm not even a sports fan by any stretch of the imagination, but yet the idea of an online 3D sports game even catches the attention of even the like of me. I personally feel that it's a great idea. But who knows for sure yet when put in practice? I'm interested in seeing some more ideas that you have. I've thought of a cool ideas for 3D games when I was a young boy & tenager, but their shoved way in the back of my mind now, & I'll have to think awhile to remember what they were.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Those games have sequels for a reason. They were good games. There is nothing wrong with continuing to improve on a game series. Especially ones with such promise.

But I do understand your point. And I agree. For the most part. Games are losing their originality. But if you think about it, this is common sense really. For each new original game idea that is brainstormed and manufactured, there becomes one less original idea out there to discover.

It's a difficult thing to revolutionize gaming.

--

"I'm a rageaholic."
(<i>starts crying</i>)
"I just can't live without rageahol." - Homer Simpson