Cannot send Fax after Upgrade to SP2 on XP Home Ed.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Hello not sure who to address the problem to but I have an Aopen FM56-SVV
fax/data modem that i just purchased and I cannot get it to send a fax
through the bundled software it came with nor through the windows xp built in
fax console program. I have tried using different software pieces but still
no luck. I have tried using the drivers the modem came with then updated
ones from Aopen's website and then even more updated driver's from Conexant
(modem's chipset) plus I used windows xp's own generic driver(s) and still no
luck. What happens is for example using windows xp fax console i send the
fax and I can hear the modem dial out and then connect to the fax machine but
then not too shortly after (about 40 seconds) the modem hangs up and in the
status view it said the fax did not send and that there was a "fatal
error"sending the fax and thats all that is said (and yes I guarantee the fax
machine on the other end is working properly plus it isnt the only fax
machine i tried with failed results). After reading numerous other similar
problems from people in this forum I am beginning to think this is a problem
with the sp2 update as people are uninstalling back to sp1 and there software
works again I would just like confirmation that there is a glitch whether it
is unknown or not what the exact problem is or could be and if anyone could
help me with this problem that would be great and if you give me directions
as to what information you need to see to help troubleshoot I will be more
then happy to give it whether its modem logs or more system information
thanks for your time,

Shaun E.
9 answers Last reply
More about cannot send upgrade home
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Shaun091382 wrote:
    > Hello not sure who to address the problem to but I have an Aopen
    > FM56-SVV fax/data modem that i just purchased and I cannot get it to
    > send a fax through the bundled software it came with nor through the
    > windows xp built in fax console program. I have tried using
    > different software pieces but still no luck. I have tried using the
    > drivers the modem came with then updated ones from Aopen's website
    > and then even more updated driver's from Conexant (modem's chipset)
    > plus I used windows xp's own generic driver(s) and still no luck.
    > What happens is for example using windows xp fax console i send the
    > fax and I can hear the modem dial out and then connect to the fax
    > machine but then not too shortly after (about 40 seconds) the modem
    > hangs up and in the status view it said the fax did not send and that
    > there was a "fatal error"sending the fax and thats all that is said
    > (and yes I guarantee the fax machine on the other end is working
    > properly plus it isnt the only fax machine i tried with failed
    > results). After reading numerous other similar problems from people
    > in this forum I am beginning to think this is a problem with the sp2
    > update as people are uninstalling back to sp1 and there software
    > works again I would just like confirmation that there is a glitch
    > whether it is unknown or not what the exact problem is or could be
    > and if anyone could help me with this problem that would be great and
    > if you give me directions as to what information you need to see to
    > help troubleshoot I will be more then happy to give it whether its
    > modem logs or more system information thanks for your time,
    >
    > Shaun E.


    Would you like to try that again, using proper punctuation and paragraphs. A
    block of text, as you have typed here, is almost impossible to read. You
    also need to replace your keyboard as some of your punctuation keys (as well
    as your return/enter keys) do not appear to be functioning. Do you know
    what a comma is?

    --
    Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    on salads.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Hey dimwit! Ever heard of trimming lines when you post your useless trash?

    "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
    news:9ziGd.28$A3.16@fe81.usenetserver.com...
    >
    > Would you like to try that again, using proper punctuation and paragraphs.
    > A block of text, as you have typed here, is almost impossible to read. You
    > also need to replace your keyboard as some of your punctuation keys (as
    > well as your return/enter keys) do not appear to be functioning. Do you
    > know what a comma is?
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    OK, how about we let me give this a try? (I'll try to use proper
    punctuation)

    I began having this problem about 2 months ago.

    I have XP Home and I used the "Fax Services" which comes with the OS for
    faxing. It's simple, but it works.

    So, I noticed last month that when I accepted an OS update from MS, the
    Microsoft Shared Fax Driver fails. I can fix it by uninstalling it and
    re-installing it.

    Now, I can only assume that there is some kind of dependency on a DLL that
    has a security hole in it and the driver that I have on my Hard Drive is an
    older version that is not compatible with the updated DLL. So, more than
    likely, by re-installing it, I'm re-opening the security hole, which THRILLS
    me to death!

    So.... I have 2 questions:

    1. Has anyone ELSE experienced this? (do you have a better repair?)

    2. Does anyone know which DLL is the Shared Fax Driver so that I can check
    the version and perhaps search for a newer one?

    TIA.

    Matt McDonnell

    "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
    news:9ziGd.28$A3.16@fe81.usenetserver.com...
    > Shaun091382 wrote:
    >> Hello not sure who to address the problem to but I have an Aopen
    >> FM56-SVV fax/data modem that i just purchased and I cannot get it to
    >> send a fax through the bundled software it came with nor through the
    >> windows xp built in fax console program. >
    >
    > Would you like to try that again, using proper punctuation and paragraphs.
    > A block of text, as you have typed here, is almost impossible to read. You
    > also need to replace your keyboard as some of your punctuation keys (as
    > well as your return/enter keys) do not appear to be functioning. Do you
    > know what a comma is?
    >
    > --
    > Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    > on salads.
    >
    >
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Matt, thank you for your re-creation of my words into a more understandable
    and "supposedly correct grammar" anyways bottom line is im not here for
    school lessons!. I am here to try and solve a software problem, thank you to
    those who help and to those that do not save ur energy and dont waste posts
    on ridiculous stuff such as flaming someone who needs help keep ur thought to
    yourself thanks,

    Shaun
    "Matt" wrote:

    > OK, how about we let me give this a try? (I'll try to use proper
    > punctuation)
    >
    > I began having this problem about 2 months ago.
    >
    > I have XP Home and I used the "Fax Services" which comes with the OS for
    > faxing. It's simple, but it works.
    >
    > So, I noticed last month that when I accepted an OS update from MS, the
    > Microsoft Shared Fax Driver fails. I can fix it by uninstalling it and
    > re-installing it.
    >
    > Now, I can only assume that there is some kind of dependency on a DLL that
    > has a security hole in it and the driver that I have on my Hard Drive is an
    > older version that is not compatible with the updated DLL. So, more than
    > likely, by re-installing it, I'm re-opening the security hole, which THRILLS
    > me to death!
    >
    > So.... I have 2 questions:
    >
    > 1. Has anyone ELSE experienced this? (do you have a better repair?)
    >
    > 2. Does anyone know which DLL is the Shared Fax Driver so that I can check
    > the version and perhaps search for a newer one?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Matt McDonnell
    >
    > "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
    > news:9ziGd.28$A3.16@fe81.usenetserver.com...
    > > Shaun091382 wrote:
    > >> Hello not sure who to address the problem to but I have an Aopen
    > >> FM56-SVV fax/data modem that i just purchased and I cannot get it to
    > >> send a fax through the bundled software it came with nor through the
    > >> windows xp built in fax console program. >
    > >
    > > Would you like to try that again, using proper punctuation and paragraphs.
    > > A block of text, as you have typed here, is almost impossible to read. You
    > > also need to replace your keyboard as some of your punctuation keys (as
    > > well as your return/enter keys) do not appear to be functioning. Do you
    > > know what a comma is?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    > > on salads.
    > >
    > >
    >
    >
    >
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Again if you do not know how to resolve the software conflict do not post to
    this thread. You are wasting your time!

    "Box134" wrote:

    > Hey dimwit! Ever heard of trimming lines when you post your useless trash?
    >
    > "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
    > news:9ziGd.28$A3.16@fe81.usenetserver.com...
    > >
    > > Would you like to try that again, using proper punctuation and paragraphs.
    > > A block of text, as you have typed here, is almost impossible to read. You
    > > also need to replace your keyboard as some of your punctuation keys (as
    > > well as your return/enter keys) do not appear to be functioning. Do you
    > > know what a comma is?
    >
    >
    >
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Shaun091382 wrote:
    > Again if you do not know how to resolve the software conflict do not
    > post to this thread. You are wasting your time!
    >
    > "Box134" wrote:
    >
    >> Hey dimwit! Ever heard of trimming lines when you post your useless
    >> trash?

    I didn't on purpose to prove a point. You're supposed to be banned.
    Nevermind, a call to MS should sort you out.


    --
    Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    on salads.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Yeah, ban away. What a joke! Do you actually believe your own BS?

    "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
    news:iozGd.225$eZ1.221@fe48.usenetserver.com...
    >> "Box134" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hey dimwit! Ever heard of trimming lines when you post your useless
    >>> trash?
    >
    > I didn't on purpose to prove a point. You're supposed to be banned.
    > Nevermind, a call to MS should sort you out.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Wow, I'd like to thank both of you for your helpful replies.....

    "Box134" <box134@wooky.invalid> wrote in message
    news:%23eE$5bH$EHA.3700@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Yeah, ban away. What a joke! Do you actually believe your own BS?
    >
    > "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
    > news:iozGd.225$eZ1.221@fe48.usenetserver.com...
    >>> "Box134" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Hey dimwit! Ever heard of trimming lines when you post your useless
    >>>> trash?
    >>
    >> I didn't on purpose to prove a point. You're supposed to be banned.
    >> Nevermind, a call to MS should sort you out.
    >
    >
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    If you don't mind being dumped on by Miss Terspicacia Prick, carry on.
    Enjoy! Enjoy!

    "Matt" <matthew.mcdonnell3@verizon.net> wrote in message
    news:O7TGd.1342$cx2.1114@trndny03...
    > Wow, I'd like to thank both of you for your helpful replies.....
Ask a new question

Read More

Fax Modem Windows XP