Will Windows 8 make Linux the new gaming OS?

JimmoR3M

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2012
I was just browsing over this article from BBC Tech news: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18996377

I'd love to hear your opinions on wether or not Windows 8 will make Linux the new gaming OS? It's pretty clear when it comes to PC gaming that Windows has always been the top dog OS as very few publishers even glance at Mac or Linux users when it comes to releasing on those platforms.

Taking into account the facts the Linux is open source, 'free' and the fact Gabe Newell has said "We want to make it as easy as possible for the 2,500 games on Steam to run on Linux as well," I'd love to know that if Linux did start getting fully supported from other big publishers, who here would love to see that happen? Who would not?

Well, here's the problems I anticipate with Linux becoming a major OS for gaming:

1. too many different distros (I'm not an expert on that field, but this is exactly what discouraged me so far to even bother to try linux)
2. I thought Linux boys took pride in the fact that there's no gaming support on linux, ie linux is for IT pros and working tasks and such
3. While publishers might want to look at linux as a gaming platform, linux's biggest problem is driver support - nvidia isn't bothering to provide full support to this day afaik

JimmoR3M

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2012
With 1. You are spot on I think. But if Ubuntu became the standard (already kind of is) that might look a little less discoraging.

With 2. Yeah, alot of other Linux guys are looking to get some gaming support (most Linux users being sick of Windows) and have to resort to Retro Gaming. Don't get me wrong, the Original Street fighter is good, but I couldn't deal with that as my 'main' game.

With 3. I think if the publishers sway that way, the hardware support will too, otherwise they'd just go flat out of business or at the very least suffers tremendous sale losses.

There are going to be many influencing factors ie
Do games run as well under linux
Are there must play games that are windows only
Does Windows 8 flop completely
Will major OEMs sell gaming PCs with linux
Will the next gen. consoles make PC gaming a smaller niche (unlikely in a major way but it will a bit)
Will publishers bother that much porting games to linux when there is little demand to start
It would be great to see though especially since windows can be a quarter of the price of a budget gaming rig and linux could make a gaming PC a similar price as the next gen consoles and if you include 10 games a similar price to current gen. consoles.

JimmoR3M

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2012
Games actually do run very well under Linux with it being such a lightweight platform. If the majority of publishers shift their arses onto Linux we might get games that are Windows only, but with the cost of developing for Linux being ah heck all it's hard to see dev's wanting to keep on Windows platforms.

Windows 8 won't flop completely, not a chance, but in the gaming community's eyes if it does indeed stop services like Steam and Origin from providing their services it could flop for them/us.

I think if Linux did become a big 'hard hitter' in the gaming side of things, maybe pre-built gaming pc's would either ship with Ubuntu or no OS at all (either way the OS costs nothing). Let's be frank here, next gen consoles won't be up to much against a good solid modern PC rig, but against the low-mid range they will probably pull some users away. As always though, you pay a premium price for a premium peice of kit, and good gaming PC's are certainly that.

I agree mate, if we could cut the cost on a price that is a major thorn in a lot of PC gamers sides (forcing them to get low end motherboards and processors just to afford a decent CPU) then PC gamers will have a bit more breathing room in their pockets to grab that extra bit of umph in the processor.

With 3. I think if the publishers sway that way, the hardware support will too, otherwise they'd just go flat out of business or at the very least suffers tremendous sale losses.
Doesn't work that way, if drivers don't support the hardware on the OS why would a game developer dive into that hole that is bound to bring all kinds of problems and expenses. Unless of course somebody is willing to develop for linux and then try to nudge hardware support, but todays trends is to make a quick buck as cheaply as possible rather than try to expand on the new platform. Hell, look at how many developers are settling for porting console games to PC rather than developing for PC specifically.

Another issue is how big is Linux user base? And out of that how many are avid gamers? My guess is not that many

If win8 completely craps out, yes many people will look for alternatives, but until Linux user base gains a large market share video game development isn't going to bother to go after that market.

If Windows 8 completely craps out, wouldn't people just stick with Win 7? And it's not like Windows 8 will game worse than Windows 7. It may actually improve performance in that manner. If it does, a lot of gamers will make the move, even if they don't like the UI, as enthusiasts love more FPS.

Hi :)

Linux is not going to solve WINDOWS 8s gaming problems....

Purely because the easier answer is to continue using 7....and once MS figure that out (eventually) they will fix 8 for gamers....

All the best Brett :)

That's not entirely true. DirectX definitely makes it a lot easier for a developer, but there are a few good OpenGL game engines. All the Quake/Doom engines are OpenGL. The Rage engine and pretty much anything that John Carmack codes is OpenGL, but I do agree that most developers find it much harder.