To anyone with a case that has more than 2 fans!

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Where do you get power for those fans?
The case I'm looking at has six fans but I just made a computer today and the motherboard had support power plugs for two case fans (CHA FAN and PWR FAN)....

...I don't get it. I don't see how a mobo could possibly have 6 fan power plugs.

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
If the fans have 3 pins plugs, you buy 3 pin to 4 pin adapters and plug the fans into the power supply.
Edit. 3 pin 2 wire unless they have third rpm wire.

:smile: <b><font color=green>I took an I.Q. test today...it came back negative.</font color=green></b> :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by OldBear on 04/06/02 00:22 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Where can I get these adapters, and what are they called?

Thanks.

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>

G

the word "molex" comes to mind...

<font color=orange>CAN WE</font color=orange><font color=green> FIX IT?</font color=green><font color=blue> yes we can! (Bob the Builder)</font color=blue>

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
i thought they were called "3-to-4 pin adapters"...

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
...I don't get it. I don't see how a mobo could possibly have 6 fan power plugs.
Well, you need a <A HREF="http://www.tyan.com/assets/images/i_th_i7500.tif" target="_new">big motha-[-peep-]</A> of a MOBO.

svol

Champion
You want to know how I power the <b>14</b> fans in and beside my case well here you go:
1 Northbridge fan powered with mobo.
1 GPU fan powered from 2nd 350W PSU with switch
2 HD fans same as with GPU fan.
7 Casefans powered by DigiDoc5 attached to second PSU
1 120mm Radiator fan standing next to my case attached to 2nd PSU
3 PSU fans inside the two PSUs.

As you can read in the above I have a second powersupply to power all of my 14 fans minus 3, so 11 fans on one PSU.

But in your case you can use a 3 to 4 molex connector to connect them directly to the PSU.

<b>THGC:</b> before: :frown: :eek: , after: :smile: :cool: .

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Dude, best buy and compusa both stock 80mm Antec Case fans with 4 pin pass through pluggs so you can connect as many in a row as you want off of one 4 pin connector from your powersupplly, note though if your going fan nuts you need a high capacity powersupply... I have 6 antec made fans with those pass through connectors in my SOHO file server case 3 off of each of 2 power connections from the supply.

A few pics of my case here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~williamchristen/photo.htm
I have since added the two other case fans in the slots provided...as i mentioned at the top of the post. Also moved the Audigy down one pci slot and put an Antec Jet Cool unit between the TI 4600 and the Audigy. Helps move air past that overclocked GeForce 4.

Edit: these 80mm antec fans are pretty nice, they move 34cfm and run under 30db in my case which is really good for off the shelf $15 dollar fans.

"OOOOO Shiny things. I can make powerful equipment with shiny things!" - The imp Butler from BGII<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by williamc on 04/05/02 12:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>