net use goes bad->no dos printing

I was trying to follow the instructions on the net command to redirect an
attached printer [HP6F] on lpt1 to a networ share printer. Somehow I ended up
with a totla inability to print anywhere from any dos program including
'print' at the command line. If I run 'print' a job appears in the spooler
but nothing gets printed.

I grabbed a copy of Portmon [sysinternals] and notice two things

1. I have 2 lpt ports available to me lpt1 and lpt1.4. I don't remember
lpt1.4

2. I can't moniitor lpt1 as "Portmon cannot attach to parallel0 - the device
may be in use. This happens even if portmon is the first thing I run

Obviously [maybe not] I have managed to redirect the lpt1 to something but
net use \\xxx\yyy /delete has no effect.

How do I find out where the print output is going and fix lpt1.

I have just now successfully used net use to redirect lpt2 [not a physical
port] to a network share printer. My only problem now is the ricoh driver
and password problems but that's another Q for later.

Can I redirect a parallel port to a Standard TCPIP port ie ip_192.168.7.104?

Hope all that makes sense.
2 answers Last reply
More about printing

    ex_king_john,

    > Obviously [maybe not] I have managed to redirect the lpt1 to something but
    > net use \\xxx\yyy /delete has no effect.

    correct syntax is NET USE LPT1 /d

    > I have just now successfully used net use to redirect lpt2 [not a physical
    > port] to a network share printer.

    I think you need Administrator rights in order to redirect a port which is
    physically present

    > Can I redirect a parallel port to a Standard TCPIP port ie
    ip_192.168.7.104?

    you can install a printer connected to the IP port, share it, and map it to
    a local port with

    NET USE LPTx \\mypc\myprinter

    or you could have a look at Printfil which can enable your DOS apps printing
    to any Windows printer, including GDI and virtual (WinFax, PDF writers
    etc.), with many extras like print preview, font selection, bmp inclusion,
    margins, colors etc.

    More info and a free trial is available for download at our web site.

    Kind regards
    Davide Guolo
    Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    http://www.guolo.com/printfil
    Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

    thanks. your suggestion about mapping the local port was spot on. I must
    admit I'm still baffled as to why the program won't print without all this
    stuff. It did before I fooled around. but i'm happy enough now.
    i'll give your utility a try as well.

    "Davide Guolo" wrote:

    > ex_king_john,
    >
    > > Obviously [maybe not] I have managed to redirect the lpt1 to something but
    > > net use \\xxx\yyy /delete has no effect.
    >
    > correct syntax is NET USE LPT1 /d
    >
    > > I have just now successfully used net use to redirect lpt2 [not a physical
    > > port] to a network share printer.
    >
    > I think you need Administrator rights in order to redirect a port which is
    > physically present
    >
    > > Can I redirect a parallel port to a Standard TCPIP port ie
    > ip_192.168.7.104?
    >
    > you can install a printer connected to the IP port, share it, and map it to
    > a local port with
    >
    > NET USE LPTx \\mypc\myprinter
    >
    > or you could have a look at Printfil which can enable your DOS apps printing
    > to any Windows printer, including GDI and virtual (WinFax, PDF writers
    > etc.), with many extras like print preview, font selection, bmp inclusion,
    > margins, colors etc.
    >
    > More info and a free trial is available for download at our web site.
    >
    > Kind regards
    > Davide Guolo
    > Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    > http://www.guolo.com/printfil
    > Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    > http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

LPT1 Windows XP