Windows xp home edition factory installation

Hi i only have windows xp home edition sp1 on cd's not windows xp full
version installation dvd or cd rom. I brought my presario s5040an late
last year. After removing the physical data to install linux. I could
not go back to the full version. Can anyone help?
6 answers Last reply
More about windows home edition factory installation

    "windows xp full version" ?? Do you mean Windows XP Pro?

    If your system has a valid XP Home Certificate of Authentication sticker on it,
    you should be able to reinstall XP Home using the product key from the COA.
    What problem did you encounter? You may have to wipe out the Linux partition
    table for Windows to install properly... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > "windows xp full version" ?? Do you mean Windows XP Pro?
    >
    > If your system has a valid XP Home Certificate of Authentication sticker on it,
    > you should be able to reinstall XP Home using the product key from the COA.
    > What problem did you encounter? You may have to wipe out the Linux partition
    > table for Windows to install properly... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 13:59:34 +1300, Andrew Colville <a.colville@xtra.co.nz>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Hi i only have windows xp home edition sp1 on cd's not windows xp full
    >>version installation dvd or cd rom. I brought my presario s5040an late
    >>last year. After removing the physical data to install linux. I could
    >>not go back to the full version. Can anyone help?

    How do i re-install with product code

    Do you mean you only have the Windows XP Home Edition UPGRADE CD?
    HH

    Andrew Colville wrote:

    > Ben Myers wrote:
    >
    >> "windows xp full version" ?? Do you mean Windows XP Pro?
    >>
    >> If your system has a valid XP Home Certificate of Authentication
    >> sticker on it,
    >> you should be able to reinstall XP Home using the product key from the
    >> COA.
    >> What problem did you encounter? You may have to wipe out the Linux
    >> partition
    >> table for Windows to install properly... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 13:59:34 +1300, Andrew Colville
    >> <a.colville@xtra.co.nz>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Hi i only have windows xp home edition sp1 on cd's not windows xp
    >>> full version installation dvd or cd rom. I brought my presario
    >>> s5040an late last year. After removing the physical data to install
    >>> linux. I could not go back to the full version. Can anyone help?
    >>

    > How do i re-install with product code

    Don't most Compaqs come with a restoration partition on the HD or a set
    of CDs of that partition??? Or do you really have an XP installation
    CD? If you have a restoration set on CDs, you will need to follow the
    procedure for restoring them. I think there might be a key you hit
    during POST that allows such a restore.

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Andrew Colville <a.colville@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
    > Hi i only have windows xp home edition sp1 on cd's not windows xp full
    > version installation dvd or cd rom. I brought my presario s5040an late
    > last year. After removing the physical data to install linux. I could
    > not go back to the full version. Can anyone help?

    Do you still have the recovery partition and/or did you create the
    recovery tools CD and recovery CDs (or DVD) before "removing the physical
    data"? If not, maybe you can order the recovery CDs from HP/Compaq.

    I remember a time before CD or DVD writers were common when Compaq did not
    provide any backup of the software (unless you ordered it at extra cost).
    At least now they provide software to create the recovery disks, if you
    discover that and make them before you mess up your system.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    HH wrote:
    > Do you mean you only have the Windows XP Home Edition UPGRADE CD?
    > HH
    >
    > "Andrew Colville" <a.colville@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    >
    >>Ben Myers wrote:
    >>
    >>>"windows xp full version" ?? Do you mean Windows XP Pro?
    >>>
    >>>If your system has a valid XP Home Certificate of Authentication sticker
    >>>on it,
    >>>you should be able to reinstall XP Home using the product key from the
    >>>COA.
    >>>What problem did you encounter? You may have to wipe out the Linux
    >>>partition
    >>>table for Windows to install properly... Ben Myers
    >>>
    >>>On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 13:59:34 +1300, Andrew Colville
    >>><a.colville@xtra.co.nz>

    >>How do i re-install with product code

    yeah just the recovery cd's.

Compaq CD-Rom Windows XP Computers