Whats the difference between....

ComputerGeek101

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2002
A Video Card and A grpahics Chip??? Do I need both? I am Getting An XTASY Geforce4 TI4600 AGP 128MB DDR 3D/TV Video Card. So would I also need a Graphics Chip? Thanks

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
a simple video card has a graphics processor, ram, and monitor connections. When you buy a video card, the video processor or the graphics processor is already on the video card. So no, you don't need to buy two seperate things. The graphics chip is already on the video card.

"If you wear a turtleneck and a backpack, it's like a weak midget is on your back strangling you"

svol

Champion
Graphic and video cards get mixed often, a lot of people (me too) name a graphics card a video card.
Grahics card:The 2D/3D card that processes the videosignal for your monitor: like your GeForce4.
Videocard(official):card that can be used for special video/TV/video purposes, you only need them if you are going to professionel video-editing, etc. A lot of <i>graphic cards</i> have some video schips installed on it (TV in/out, etc).

Here on the forum we have to sections: a grahics and videocard section, and then often get mixed.

BTW <b>If I'm wrong please correct me</b>.

<b>THGC:</b> before: :frown: :eek: , after: :smile: :cool: .