Fax printer cannot configure my modem - won't operate prop..

Hi

My computer refuses to configure the Standard 56K modem to use for a
fax-printer. As things turned out by some strange occurence, the cover page
went through as a test. *However* the fax-monitor refuses to show the
progress of the page going through - even though all the settings are set
for showing that it is going through. In addition, at the bottom of the fax
monitor, there is a picture of the fax with a red line through it and a
statement saying that the computer is unable to find any fax printers. I
have tried deleting and re-installing the fax-printer, but without any
success. Although I have done this process dozens of times with success,
this is the first computer I have seen that is unable to make a proper
connection between the modem - and computer - to turn the modem into a
fax-modem-printer.

Has anyone had a similar problem, or can advise in this situation as to how
to get the fax-monitor to register the modem and then show the progress of
the fax as it goes through.

Thanks.

Jo

Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
first try to send or receive a fax. Have you looked in Event Viewer to see
if there is a clue as to where the problem might be?

These errors are nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires enabling
both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which require
fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best advice is to
attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed on the Windows
XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]