compaq 2100 notebook clicking noise when plug in power sou..

I have a compaq 2100 notebook, the battery stopped working in it quite
some time ago and would not charge. The way that I run it is to have it
plugged in whenever I needed to use it. Before it started doing this the
power would cut in and out. Now when I plug it in there is just a
clicking noise I cannot tell where it is coming from. If I wiggle the
power cord where it plugs into the laptop the light on the charger will
almost become constant and stop blinking. If I do not wiggle the power
cord then the light on the power strip will keep blinking, there is
that clicking/popping noise, and it smells to me like it is burning.
Does anyone have advice for me?

--
kenny390
1 answer Last reply

    click - click click = HD is dead.

    When you wiggle the power supply the power is going on and off, trying
    to spin up the HD, and you get click-click-click

Compaq Notebooks Power Computers