Any experience with the 1.8A

G

Does anyone have any experience with OCing the 1.8A. I'm a first time builder and am undecided between the 1.6A and 1.8A. Is the difference worth the $50-60 price. Also, is the Corsair memory really worth an extra $30 or will the samsung clock just as well. What I'm looking at so far:

Abit sd7-533 mobo
1.6A or 1.8A cpu
samsung or corsair pc2700 DDR
video card ????
Antec Case

Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I plan on getting one next week. The big difference between the 1.6A and 1.8A is the multiplier, 1.6A will do 2400@150, 1.8A will do 2400@133, since most Samsung RDRAM goes to "PC1066" which matches the 133 setting, the 1.8A looks like a good option.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

OK, I'm answering myself here, but if anyone else has been reading this thread and wondering the same thing here is what I found out so far.

From all the feedback I've seen on the different forums, the 1.8A averages 2.4 -2.6 without too much work, the 1.6 runs 2.2-2.4. I've seen a post claim 2.8 out of the 1.8 with stock cooling, I have trouble believing that, but I believe 2.8 is reachable. The price difference is declining so that really is not becoming an issue.

I've decided on OCZ memory based on the reviews I've seen. I won't know until I try, but I think it's the best bang for the buck based on overclocking. From what I've read Corsair clocks great, but your gonna pay for it. Almost all customer reviews I've read say the OCZ overclocks great, and it runs about the same price as Samsung.

I went with the Abit SD-7 533 mobo based on what I read on the SIS645 reviews here at Toms and friends experience with Abit boards. Good overclocker, USB 2.0 and ready for the next generation of pentiums with the 533mhz bus.

Still undecided on Video card, but leaning toward Geforce 3Ti200 based on bang for the buck.

Adding a Volcano 7 fan to my list.

All in all, I've met my goal of major system upgrade for around $600. The only thing I'm keeping from old system is CDRW, 2 Hard drives, floppy, NIC card and monitor.

Can I overclock my <font color=blue> Vic-20 </font color=blue> to get a <font color=red> Commodore 64 </font color=red> ? :tongue:

ZER0

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
2 out of the 4 1.8a cpus i've used would do 2.4ghz. 2 of them would not. also none of the samsung pc800 ram i've used has done 1066mhz.