Volcano 7+/Vantec Stealths, any TT comments?

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I ordered myself up a Volcano 7+ and 3 80mm Vantec Stealth fans for my Antec case.
I've been looking for good, cheap efficient cooling for a long time now. It looks like the new Vantec Stealth fans are quieter than even the Thermaltake fans.

And the major part of noise for everyones system, the CPU fan is adjustable on the v7+.

Previously I was using a Alpha pal6035 which I am not impressed enough with the performance for my standards and was turned off from the very loud delta fan I used with it initally. The new alpha 8045 looks good but to much trouble taking and putting on and off for someone like me who might have a new motherboard next week.

I have been fairly impressed with the results from the systems I've built using the Volanco 6cu cooler (slower RPM rating than the popular 6cu+ model), for a price of $7 off pricewatch.

Yet many degrade Thermaltake, including HardOCP (source:http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/cooling/roundup1101/index5.html), what do you think of TT? Or the new Vantec fans for that matter.

Athlon XP 1700+,KT266A,Geforce3, Audigy.. 'nuff said.

superpsa

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2002
I just had my V7+ delivered today. Just OCed my Athlon 1.13 to 1.333 and she's still cooler than a penguins ass! Not major ocing I know, but I'm pretty impressed (first time ocing!). On "Low" setting you can barely hear the fan, on "Medium" it's like a syandard non performance fan noise and on "High" it is gettin a wee bit loud, but no louder than any other performance fan I've heard.
ThermalTake got a bad name over their Orb fans. Although my mate still loves his SuperOrb ;)
BTW, that review is for the 7, which has a thermister attached to vary fan rpm. It's NOT the 7+, which has a cute wee switch function :)

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I like the alpha 8045 but I really like the idea of an adjustable cpu fan.. I would liek to mount it on the back of my case so in the summer I can adjust it and make sure the cpu isnt getting warm.

Also the mounting of the 8045 bothers me, pulling the motherboard everytime I change cpu or heatsink isnt something I want to spend time on.. and i've never seen volcanos come off..

I realize that review is for the 7, but I put the source there for reference that some reputable sites have bad mouthed thermaltake for low quality products.

Athlon XP 1700+,KT266A,Geforce3, Audigy.. 'nuff said.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Attach a rheostat on the fan of choice and you will always be able to adjust the speed of the fan.

<b>"I put instant coffee in the microwave and almost went back in time" - Steven Wright</b> :lol:

superpsa

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2002
Mines is still happily running away :) The V7+ has had some fantastic reviews. If you look at some of the sites that have recommended it (see the ThermalTake site) then you canread more reviews. The Volcano7+ (using the AMD clips) comes of just like any other run of the mill fan. It's just a simple wee clip. The P4 clips (if you want to bung it on a P4) look a wee bit more complicated and you'd prob have to take your mobo out to attach it. But you'll be using the Athlon clips (you get both) so that doesn't matter. All you'll need is a flat head screw-driver. Also comes with the compound and a wee TT sticker for your case. I also heard some of the V7+ units come with a screwdriver! (I never got one! Grr!).