Lian Li cases

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I'm going to order one of those for myself and wondered if anyone had any experience with them. What as far as temp drops ect?
I find whenever i open my case theres always excess trapped heat and I think an aluminum case might help that.

Now I'm using an Antec SX600 (similar to SX630 without a Antec PSU, I use enermax)

Athlon XP 1700+,KT266A,Geforce3, Audigy.. 'nuff said.

FatBurger

Illustrious
My temps went down by a couple of degrees, but only because the case is roomier and has 2 more case fans, not because it's aluminum.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Thats surprising I would have thought a thin aluminum case would help some more than that.
I assume they are more gimmick and glam than worth their actual price?

If so I'll stick with my well ventilated Antec mid tower.. I like it alot to.

Do you have any pics of your system?

Athlon XP 1700+,KT266A,Geforce3, Audigy.. 'nuff said.

FatBurger

Illustrious
You wouldn't want them, my case is so messy you wouldn't believe it.
Oh, that reminds me...rounded cables while I'm at Fry's tonight :tongue:

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
I also went to an aluminum case just for the looks/weight rather than it's better cooling ability. My 'old case' which houses an overclocked 950 Mhz T-bird in an Enlight Mid case(i forget what model number) and two additional blow holes I added for 1 front, 1 side, 1 top and a side vent(i missed a cage opening so a fan wouldn't fit into place so I used a vent setup runs at 27C/81F mainboard and 59C/138F CPU. The new case(aluminum) with 6 case fans, a 500 watt PSU(vs a 300 with the old system) and a XP overclocked to 1900+ runs at 25C/77F mainboard and 39C/10F for the CPU. Now I've got different HSF's and they're different setups so of course you have to add in variances but needless to say they're isn't much of a difference besides aesthetics. Which is important enough to me to spend a few extra $$$.

My machines never idle, so I cant truly say if that'd make much more of difference, but those are my stats. Hope this is of some use to you.

:cool: Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!! :cool:

Tankman

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2001
Don't bother buying one if you want better temps. Do everything you can to maximize airflow on your current case. I replaced my Avance 7004 case with a Lian-Li 86 and my mobo temp went up 10C! I had maxed out airflow on my Avance, but still had a hot system so I assumed I had a case cooling problem. It turned out that the motherboard was causing the heat problem. I kept the Lian-Li case because it looked good, but I replaced all of the stock Adda fans with Papst fans and my temps went back down to what they were in the Avance case. Great looking case and light, but no cooling advantages.