Can't print with Epson Stylus COLOR 600 on XP.

I have an Epson stylus color 600 I can't get to work with Windows XP. This
printer worked fine with my old Mac.

I've tried everything I could and nothing is working. The printer is
connected to
the computer via parallel LPT1 port. I've installed the WindowsXP resident
drivers
for this printer model (the Epson drivers are too old and not verified). The
computer doesn't detect the new hardware with Plug and Play when turned ON
(don't know why) so I had to manually Add Hardware (Printer Port) with the
Hardware Wizard. I'm not sure how to recognize if the LPT1 port is active or
not and set up properly in the BIOS? I read something about having to set the
parallel port to ESP or ECP depending on the printer's requirement (which I
don't know) in the BIOS?

Everytime I send a test page or print from a command prompt or WordPad
nothing happens for 1-2 minutes and then I get a "Printer Out of Paper"
message in the pop-up. Of course, the printer has enough paper (and I can
print a sefl-test page from the printer). I also tried with another parallel
cable and it still doesn't work. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the
printer's driver many time and it's still not printing.

Any idea what I'm missing here?

Thanks,
Ben
2 answers Last reply
More about print epson stylus color

    The Epson Stylus 600 works fairly well with XP. It is to be connected to
    a parallel port, usually LPT1
    using an IEEE certified parallel printer cable. The computer BIOS
    setting is best set for standard parallel port, SPP, bi-directional port
    or similar. If possible, do not set it to ECP or EPP or ECP & EPP.

    The only native driver for the printer is on the Windows CP CD. Install
    using the Add Printer wizard.

    The Epson LQ-860 drivers, and a few others, can be used. Using these
    drivers, you will discover that the printer actually has some resident
    fonts (in printer ROM) that are not accessible from the Stylus 600
    driver. However, with this driver, graphics printing quality is
    compromised.

    Windows 9x drivers _cannot be used_.

    Let us know.

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "the_best_of_fools" <thebestoffools@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:E7A27E3E-81E7-46CC-B38E-C63AA474A239@microsoft.com...
    :
[...]

    Thanks a lot for your help, Tom.

    It turns out the Parallel port setting was disabled in my BIOS. I rarely go
    there and had no idea where to look. I set it to Normal (standard) and when I
    rebooted the system, the computer detected the new hardware and installed the
    right drivers. So now I can print. I just find it weird that Windows detected
    the LPT1 port and drivers as enabled and working even before the parallel
    port was even enabled and set accordingly in the BIOS. Ahh... computers. I
    just don't get it! ;-)

    Thanks again!

    Best Regards -
    Ben