new MB for Presario 5000?

I'm thinking of getting an old Presario 5000 (5WV254) and installing a
new motherboard, CPU and RAM - keeping the drives, the PSU etc. and
installing '98

Is this doable? I'd be happy to have something running at around 2GHz,
and drive transfer speed isn't that important. Can anybody suggest an
MB/CPU combination that would work? Are there any pitfalls to doing this?
Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about presario 5000

    Depending on the model of Presario, the pitfalls are that the power supply is
    not capable of handling a Pentium 4 (assuming that it is an ATX power supply),
    and that the connectors to whatever is on the front panel are proprietary to
    Compaq.

    A few months ago, I did some major surgery on a Compaq Presario with AMD CPU.
    The motherboard bit the dust due to dust and dirt inside the case. The power
    supply was ATX, but I ended up replacing the case and power supply, installing a
    generic motherboard in the replacement case, and moving everything else over to
    the new case. It worked out because I was able to adjust all the Windows
    drivers without too much trouble.

    I recommend replacing the case and power supply while you're at it... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 02:44:24 GMT, Al <none@no.com> wrote:

    >I'm thinking of getting an old Presario 5000 (5WV254) and installing a
    >new motherboard, CPU and RAM - keeping the drives, the PSU etc. and
    >installing '98
    >
    >Is this doable? I'd be happy to have something running at around 2GHz,
    >and drive transfer speed isn't that important. Can anybody suggest an
    >MB/CPU combination that would work? Are there any pitfalls to doing this?
    >Thanks.

    Unless you feel comfortable cracking the plastic connector on the front
    panel wiring harness to try to fit with a different pin arrangement on the
    new motherboard, forget it. And that's if you can find a board with the same
    I/O port configuration on the back.
    HH

    "Al" <none@no.com> wrote in message
    > I'm thinking of getting an old Presario 5000 (5WV254) and installing a
    > new motherboard, CPU and RAM - keeping the drives, the PSU etc. and
    > installing '98
    >
    > Is this doable? I'd be happy to have something running at around 2GHz,
    > and drive transfer speed isn't that important. Can anybody suggest an
    > MB/CPU combination that would work? Are there any pitfalls to doing this?
    > Thanks.

    I've done it and its not as hard as everyone here makes it sound. 5000
    series is a fairly nice case and a decent power supply. It is a real
    ATX supply. If you buy the MB new you will have a matching back plane.
    If you buy it used and the existing backplane dosn't work, just go
    without. The biggest problem you are going to have is (like everyone
    said) is the front panel connector. All you really need on the front
    is the powerswitch wires.

    I'm not looking at one now, but if you are even halfway proficient at
    wiring you should be able to make it work, espically if you ignore the
    front USB and pretty lights. One trick I've used is to split the
    harness w/ a razor blade to make individual pins.

    NewEgg.com has this board:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=13-185-036&depa=0

    for dirt cheap. I installed one of these today for a customer (similar
    situation Gateway PC was dead and I needed a MB for cheap that would
    support a duron 800) . Match that to a sempron processor and 256mb of
    RAM and you will be flying

    that's fantastic, just what I was wanting. I've spent a good deal of time
    researching, after the pointers you gave, then settled on the Sempron 2400.
    How does that cpu, at 1.66GHz, compare to a Celeron at say, 2.0?

    BTw, I have a PcChips MB in the computer I'm on now, and never had a problem
    with it.

    Would I have to reinstall '98 for the new MB?

    Al wrote:
    > that's fantastic, just what I was wanting. I've spent a good deal of
    time
    > researching, after the pointers you gave, then settled on the Sempron
    2400.
    > How does that cpu, at 1.66GHz, compare to a Celeron at say, 2.0?
    >
    > BTw, I have a PcChips MB in the computer I'm on now, and never had a
    problem
    > with it.
    >
    > Would I have to reinstall '98 for the new MB?

    On the reinstall, I would say yes, just because it will help 98 be more
    stable. Most likely you can get away with just a swap out, and
    reinstall all the new chipset drivers, but you price for doing that is
    stability of the OS.

    Sempron 2400 vs. Celeron D. Humm, I am not really sure, but I'd guess
    that they were most likely comparable. It dosn't sound like you are
    trying to build a gaming or video editing machine. So then price
    becomes the issues, and the Sempron wins totally.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    On 25 Jan 2005 18:18:20 -0800, returnoftheyeti@aol.com wrote:

    >I've done it and its not as hard as everyone here makes it sound. 5000
    >series is a fairly nice case and a decent power supply. It is a real
    >ATX supply. If you buy the MB new you will have a matching back plane.
    >If you buy it used and the existing backplane dosn't work, just go
    >without. The biggest problem you are going to have is (like everyone
    >said) is the front panel connector. All you really need on the front
    >is the powerswitch wires.

    >NewEgg.com has this board:
    >http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=13-185-036&depa=0
    >
    >for dirt cheap. I installed one of these today for a customer (similar
    >situation Gateway PC was dead and I needed a MB for cheap that would
    >support a duron 800) . Match that to a sempron processor and 256mb of
    >RAM and you will be flying

    the PSU is dps-200pb-103e 250Watt

    It has neither the 2x2 ATX12V, nor the 6-pin AUX connector. I see some vendors
    describing it as an AT power supply. But elsewhere, I see it said that since
    it has 5v (and it does, according to its label), then it must be ATX. The main
    power connector is indeed a 20-pin ATX connector.

    But without the auxilliary power output cables, can it still run a Sempron
    2400+ in the board that you reference above? Thanks.

Compaq Presario CPUs Computers