Add/Remove Windows Components Fax Services

January 23, 2005 8:35:19 PM

======================================
I hope this is a known issue that I am not aware of -
I have not used XP Fax in a while but need to now -
I am running XP Pro 2002 Service Pack 2
(All XP updates installed)
Also running:
ZoneAlarm Security Suite 5.5.062.004
Ad-Aware SE 1.05
SpyBot Search and Destroy 1.3
SpywareBlaster 3.2
Microsoft AntiSpyware (Beta1)

I previously connected to the Internet through Earthlink
Dial-Up with US Robotics V.92 Fax PCI modem

No longer have the Earthlink account -
Now connect to Internet through Cox Cable
with Linksys WCG200 (Ethernet)

The US Robotics V.92 Fax PCI modem is still installed

Today when I would try to open Configure Fax
from the Fax Console, I was getting an error message
about "unable to make connection to Fax Server"

I saw in services.msc that the Fax service was
Automatic and "stopping"

I now have the Fax service set to Manual -

I unchecked Fax service in
Add/Remove Windows Components and
ran the Wizard and then went back and
checked the Fax service and ran the Wizard
again - it shows that it is installing the Fax service
but the Fax service remains unchecked -

I have tried adding it again about 4 times
and it always remains unchecked -

What do I need to do to get the Fax service
installed again?

Thank you in advance...
January 23, 2005 11:22:11 PM

Not a known issue.
Is your modem on the Windows XP HCL list?
What does your faxsetup.log tell you?
Have you tried turning off Zone Alarm? It seems to be pretty effective at
disabling Fax.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]