Newer Gaming Computer Fail

Thepwnzenator

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Hey!

I have a less than 1 yr old 6-core gaming desktop computer. I played skyrim for 3 months flawlessly. I then installed some mods for skyrim (this past January) and sense then games are VERY choppy. The sound stutters as well.

After the chopping/stuttering began.. I troubleshooted a few times, re installed my OS along w/ all software & drivers. I even manually overclocked my GPU and CPU. I haven't run stress tests yet on my computer but i think i will try that today.

I can run older games (to be more specific games that aren't using the most recent engines). My computer also gets choppy when i am running music creation software (this software demands a moderate amt. of RAM, but i have 16GB of it : / )

What could be wrong? I have found two other individuals that have encountered this problem on the internet and no one seems to be able to help them out. :(

Thanks, matt

Thepwnzenator

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Processor Information:
Vendor: AuthenticAMD
Speed: 3322 Mhz
6 logical processors
3 physical processors
HyperThreading: Supported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Supported
SSE41: Supported
SSE42: Unsupported

Network Information:
Network Speed:

Operating System Version:
Windows 7 (64 bit)
NTFS: Supported
Crypto Provider Codes: Supported 323 0x0 0x0 0x0

Video Card:
Driver: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

DirectX Driver Name: aticfx32.dll
Driver Version: 8.980.0.0
DirectX Driver Version: 8.17.10.1132
Driver Date: 11 June 2012
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
DirectX Card: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
VendorID: 0x1002
DeviceID: 0x6739
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
No SLI or Crossfire Detected
Primary Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Desktop Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Primary Display Size: 26.65" x 15.00" (30.55" diag)
67.7cm x 38.1cm (77.6cm diag)
Primary Bus Type Not Detected
Primary VRAM: 1024 MB
Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x 8x

Sound card:
Audio device: Speakers (Realtek High Definiti

Memory:
RAM: 16381 Mb

Miscellaneous:
UI Language: English
Microphone: Not set
Media Type: Undetermined
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 953866 Mb
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 803415 Mb
OS Install Date: Dec 31 1969
Game Controller: None detected

Thepwnzenator

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Thanks for the advice. I dismantled both overclocks and the problem is still ongoing. Could something be wrong with my CPU or GPU? (i only overclocked after the issue began)

According to the info you posted you have 3 AMD CPUs that support hyper threading? I suspect it could be an overheating issue, download HWMonitor and check what your temps reach when your gaming. Also I don't know why it says you installed your OS in 1969.

Thepwnzenator

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
@ simon12. My CPU's temp while gaming was 59 Degrees C it is 33 C while idle. And i have 6 cpus : / idk why it says i have 3

@ Jemm . My PSU is an XG 700.

Btw thanks for the help guys. I heard the users on this forum are very kind and helpful. Seems i heard correctly : )

So, i contacted customer support and they said... "Currently this sounds as if the spikes may be occurring due to a software that is being installed on the computer.

It would be best to removed any third party software or to reinstall Windows and to only load the drivers without installing any third party software as you have mentioned installing creative software.

Also this may be due to a third party hardware that may have been installed in the computer that may be causing the issue as well. If a third party hardware has been installed then it would be best to remove the hardware for trouble shooting purposes as the configuration of the computer does not list any Creative hardware that was installed."

I haven't added any hardware. I occasionally use and external sound card, but i don't usually leave it in its designated USB port. I also installed my OS (witch i stated before asking them for help : / ) and downloaded a game that worked perfectly months back on this rig prior to installing any creative software.

What really baffles me is how my computer freaks out if i have too many virtual synthesizers (like 6) playing.. and my duo core 4 year old crappy laptop can handle that and some before any lag issues.

You have 1 CPU with 6 cores above it says 3 physical CPUs. Anyway the CPU temp is OK (a bit high but not a problem). What is the GPU temp? I assume you have an active and up to date anti virus. Have you run any other malicious software checks. Also are your driver up to date? BTW not that it makes a difference to the problem do you have a Phenom II x6 or an FX CPU?

Thepwnzenator

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Oh, oops.. well, thanks for clearing that up for me!

The GPU temp is OK. I can't recall what it was but i looked up acceptable temperatures and mine was well below the danger zone threshold. I do have an active anti virus. I actually tried three various anti virus software programs to see if anything malicious was causing my problem. (i am of course not running them at the same time).

My drivers are apparently up to date. Actually, before i posted on here (this morning) i downloaded software called *driver fusion to use in conjunction with uninstalling all of my computers "up to date" drivers & then re installing them. I have yet to do this though.

A few months ago i also followed steps to repair my systems registry in case that was the issue. After all, this problem didn't start until i downloaded skyrim mods. (re installing my OS should have fixed my registry if that was the issue to the best of my knowledge)

I don't know if this will mean anything at all.. but when i play any game at all there seems to be *please mind my word usage here.. lol* waves off colored pixels going down my screen. I'd imagine it's my computer trying to load the image.

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to keep trouble shooting. I must fix this annoying issue!! Metaphorically speaking, burring my head under the sand for the past several months has not helped this along at all.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
What is your actual card and CPU

I'm guessing your CPU is am FX 61xx

6800 series for your GPU covers a large spectrum though whats the actual model without knowing what card you have nobody should be telling you you shouldnt have a stuttering issue or deciding if your PSU is relevent your card may simply not be enough to run skyrim with fancy mods (some of the mods can push the VRAM to silly levels)?

Thepwnzenator

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Cool testing software. I downloaded it and ran the GPU & CPU tests for 5 min. There were no errors found and the temp was high, but not enough for the test to stop. By default the test lasts an hour? Should i be letting it run longer than five min for accurate results?

Thepwnzenator

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
@ wr6133 my processor is: AMD FX-5100 Six-Core Processor 3.30 GHz. My GPU is the Radion 6850.

Yeah, the computer could not run skyrim w/o EXTREME choppyness during the brief period of time when the mods were installed. I then uninstalled them (the mods) and every game from that point on has been suffering. As well as the creative software i use.

Thepwnzenator

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Oh! Also is there some way i can test to see if my liquid cooling system is working? When i re installed my OS i did nothing to configure it (i have no knowledge on how they function, other than how they actually work physically). I remember when i was first using my computer i would turn it on and hear water circulating throughout my system. I no longer hear that sound when i turn on my computer. When running a system assessment I would also hear water circulating throughout my computer. And.. needless to say, i no longer hear that anymore. I don't think this is related to my problem because my liquid cooling system was operational when the problem first began. It only stopped working (maybe) after i re installed the OS.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012

If your pump has broke your running without cooling you should see this in CPU temps rising very high (over 60) followed by the CPU throttling itself and slowing itself down to lose heat. Final stage would be if heat gets too high it will shut down.

It should have been a priority to check that cooling system the moment you suspected it was amiss, definitley do so now.

I assume this is a closed loop liquid cooling (or you would have more idea what its doing and have needed to maintain it) system. If so it must be working or your temps would cause overheating while idle, but its not working very well if gaming gets it to 59C (I imagine and extra 5Cish running OCCT) unless your room temperature is very high I would expect the stock cooler to be that good. What temps did your CPU & GPU reach?