Printing test page cause explorer.exe issues

I am running Windows XP SP2. When I try to run a test page for a network
printer I receive a message that Windows Explorer has encountered a problem
and needs to close. I have deleted all printers and the files in the spool
folder. Readded the printers and get the same thing. I log in a a different
user and get the same thing. I have ran a Windows XP repair on the
installation and this did not help. If I run a print job through an
application the application shuts down.
5 answers Last reply
More about printing test page explorer issues

    Can the PC 'see' the network PCs fine? Is the network printer on a print
    server or on another PC?

    Was the printer installed using the instructions at:
    www.coribright.com

    "Sboyko" <Sboyko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am running Windows XP SP2. When I try to run a test page for a network
    > printer I receive a message that Windows Explorer has encountered a
    > problem
    > and needs to close. I have deleted all printers and the files in the
    > spool
    > folder. Readded the printers and get the same thing. I log in a a
    > different
    > user and get the same thing. I have ran a Windows XP repair on the
    > installation and this did not help. If I run a print job through an
    > application the application shuts down.

    The PC has no problems seeing anything else on the network. All of our
    network printers are on a server running Windows 2003 Server.

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Can the PC 'see' the network PCs fine? Is the network printer on a print
    > server or on another PC?
    >
    > Was the printer installed using the instructions at:
    > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterAllUsers.htm
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing/Imaging and Hardware
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Sboyko" <Sboyko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am running Windows XP SP2. When I try to run a test page for a network
    > > printer I receive a message that Windows Explorer has encountered a
    > > problem
    > > and needs to close. I have deleted all printers and the files in the
    > > spool
    > > folder. Readded the printers and get the same thing. I log in a a
    > > different
    > > user and get the same thing. I have ran a Windows XP repair on the
    > > installation and this did not help. If I run a print job through an
    > > application the application shuts down.

    I have seen drivers from Minolta-QMS and Canon corrupt the memory within the
    application causing it to fail (Test Page button in printer properties is
    the explorer.exe process).

    What drivers are installed?

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    > The PC has no problems seeing anything else on the network. All of our
    > network printers are on a server running Windows 2003 Server.
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > Can the PC 'see' the network PCs fine? Is the network printer on a
    print
    > > server or on another PC?
    > >
    > > Was the printer installed using the instructions at:
    > > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterAllUsers.htm
    > > --
    > > Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing/Imaging and Hardware
    > > www.coribright.com
    > >
    > > "Sboyko" <Sboyko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >I am running Windows XP SP2. When I try to run a test page for a
    network
    > > > printer I receive a message that Windows Explorer has encountered a
    > > > problem
    > > > and needs to close. I have deleted all printers and the files in the
    > > > spool
    > > > folder. Readded the printers and get the same thing. I log in a a
    > > > different
    > > > user and get the same thing. I have ran a Windows XP repair on the
    > > > installation and this did not help. If I run a print job through an
    > > > application the application shuts down.

    We have HP 8150N printer drivers that we have installed on her system using
    the drivers from the Windows 2003 Print Server

    "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:

    > I have seen drivers from Minolta-QMS and Canon corrupt the memory within the
    > application causing it to fail (Test Page button in printer properties is
    > the explorer.exe process).
    >
    > What drivers are installed?
    >
    > --
    > Alan Morris
    > Windows Printing Team

    > "Sboyko" <Sboyko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > The PC has no problems seeing anything else on the network. All of our
    > > network printers are on a server running Windows 2003 Server.
    > >
    > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Can the PC 'see' the network PCs fine? Is the network printer on a
    > print
    > > > server or on another PC?
    > > >
    > > > Was the printer installed using the instructions at:
    > > > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterAllUsers.htm
    > > > --
    > > > Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing/Imaging and Hardware
    > > > www.coribright.com
    > > >
    > > > "Sboyko" <Sboyko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > network

    Did you install the driver locally or was the driver installed when
    connecting to the print server?

    I'd delete all the connections and delete the print drivers on the client.
    Add a local printer that points to LPT3: (yes I realize there is not a real
    printer there) and use the Have disk option to point to the Server 2003
    installation CD \i386 directory in order to get the 8150 driver (there is no
    8150N on Server 2003 so I assume HP LaserJet 8150 Series PCL or HP LaserJet
    8150 Series PS driver). Print a test page.
    If this works make the connection and print the test page.
    Let me know either way. If it still fails we can attach a system debugger
    at find which driver file is failing.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    > We have HP 8150N printer drivers that we have installed on her system
    using
    > the drivers from the Windows 2003 Print Server
    >
    > "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:
    >
    > > I have seen drivers from Minolta-QMS and Canon corrupt the memory within
    the
    > > application causing it to fail (Test Page button in printer properties
    is
    > > the explorer.exe process).
    > >
    > > What drivers are installed?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Alan Morris
    > > Windows Printing Team
    > > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

    rights.

    > > "Sboyko" <Sboyko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > The PC has no problems seeing anything else on the network. All of
    our
    > > > network printers are on a server running Windows 2003 Server.

    > > print

    > > network

Printers Explorer Windows XP