moniter telephone calls?

I was at a friends house the other day and saw that they have the fax
monitor enabled on their computer and when a phone call comes in a small
bubble appears with the number calling. I have installed and enable the fax
monitor and configured to manual, which is what they do, but no information
appears when my phone rings? I would assume I am missing something. Do I
need an extra phone line? I use a DSL connection. Thanks.

Fax does not work with DSL.. installing a 56k internal modem and connecting
it to the telephone line will allow faxing.. an alternative is a 'fax to
email' service..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"shezageek" <notavailable@domain.com> wrote in message
>I was at a friends house the other day and saw that they have the fax
>monitor enabled on their computer and when a phone call comes in a small
>bubble appears with the number calling. I have installed and enable the fax
>monitor and configured to manual, which is what they do, but no information
>appears when my phone rings? I would assume I am missing something. Do I
>need an extra phone line? I use a DSL connection. Thanks.

Yep. You need a phone line with a modem to receive and send a FAX.

"shezageek" <notavailable@domain.com> wrote in message
I was at a friends house the other day and saw that they have the fax
monitor enabled on their computer and when a phone call comes in a
small
bubble appears with the number calling. I have installed and enable
the fax
monitor and configured to manual, which is what they do, but no
information
appears when my phone rings? I would assume I am missing something. Do
need an extra phone line? I use a DSL connection. Thanks.

Thanks, makes sense.

"TonySper" <tsperduti@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Yep. You need a phone line with a modem to receive and send a FAX.
>
> "shezageek" <notavailable@domain.com> wrote in message
> I was at a friends house the other day and saw that they have the fax
> monitor enabled on their computer and when a phone call comes in a
> small
> bubble appears with the number calling. I have installed and enable
> the fax
> monitor and configured to manual, which is what they do, but no
> information
> appears when my phone rings? I would assume I am missing something. Do
> need an extra phone line? I use a DSL connection. Thanks.

Thanks Mike.

"Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Fax does not work with DSL.. installing a 56k internal modem and
> connecting it to the telephone line will allow faxing.. an alternative is
> a 'fax to email' service..
>

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "shezageek" <notavailable@domain.com> wrote in message
>>I was at a friends house the other day and saw that they have the fax
>>monitor enabled on their computer and when a phone call comes in a small
>>bubble appears with the number calling. I have installed and enable the
>>fax monitor and configured to manual, which is what they do, but no
>>information appears when my phone rings? I would assume I am missing
>>something. Do I need an extra phone line? I use a DSL connection. Thanks.

i dont want the fax to work. interferes with phone ringing ,i have dsl and a
fax to email service allready. what should i disconnect so telephone wont
ring over the computer and the fax sound wont blast in my ears when i answer?
sincerely-magriffnm39@msn.com

"magriff" <magriff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i dont want the fax to work. interferes with phone ringing ,i have
>dsl and a
> fax to email service allready. what should i disconnect so
> telephone wont
> ring over the computer and the fax sound wont blast in my ears
> when i answer?
> sincerely-magriffnm39@msn.com

There is nothing you can do on your computer to stop people from
attempting to send faxes to you. Disconnecting the analog telephone
line from your fax modem will stop the calls from reaching your
computer. To stop the faxes, you have to tell everybody you know to
stop trying to send faxes to your telephone number. The sound comes
from the incoming call, not your computer. If your computer is
attempting to answer all calls, you have to start the fax console
and turn off auto-answer. Simply stopping the fax program from
auto-answer is turned on, the appropriate command must be sent to
the modem to turn it off. Some modems will answer the call even if
the computer is turned off, if properly configured. That is what
Wake-on-Ring (WOL) is all about.

--
Earl F. Parrish