PCL XL error??

I am new to any discussion group to show how desperate I am to fix this
problem. I have a HP Laserjet 4000 attached directly to my PC in the LPT1
port and run Windows XP Corporate. I have never had a problem printing
anything - either from Word, Excel or emails. All of a sudden I cannot print
eventhou one day I could and the next day I couldn't. Sometimes I am getting
one line of various symbols and the printer showing data but not printing.
Sometimes it will print a small spreadsheet from Excel and then a page with:

PCL XL error

Subsystem: KERNEL
Error: Illegal Tag
Operator: 0x59
Position: 676

I have deleted the printer, downloaded the driver from HP, reinstalled the
printer, taken the printer off-line and back to on-line all with either no
success or worst...print one or two times and then back to unkown symbols
across the top of a page or the PCL XL error noted above.

I am at wits end and have a lot of work to finish asap which all needs
printed. While I can use software programs, I am a total novice when it
comes to system errors or understanding interfaces. Any suggestions or help
would be appreciated.

Thanks!
3 answers Last reply
More about error

    There is no such operating system as XP Corporate. Either you are Volume
    Licensed or you run retail or OEM versions of XP Pro or Home.
    www.coribright.com

    "toaster" <toaster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am new to any discussion group to show how desperate I am to fix this
    > problem. I have a HP Laserjet 4000 attached directly to my PC in the LPT1
    > port and run Windows XP Corporate. I have never had a problem printing
    > anything - either from Word, Excel or emails. All of a sudden I cannot
    > print
    > eventhou one day I could and the next day I couldn't. Sometimes I am
    > getting
    > one line of various symbols and the printer showing data but not printing.
    > Sometimes it will print a small spreadsheet from Excel and then a page
    > with:
    >
    > PCL XL error
    >
    > Subsystem: KERNEL
    > Error: Illegal Tag
    > Operator: 0x59
    > Position: 676
    >
    > I have deleted the printer, downloaded the driver from HP, reinstalled the
    > printer, taken the printer off-line and back to on-line all with either no
    > success or worst...print one or two times and then back to unkown symbols
    > across the top of a page or the PCL XL error noted above.
    >
    > I am at wits end and have a lot of work to finish asap which all needs
    > printed. While I can use software programs, I am a total novice when it
    > comes to system errors or understanding interfaces. Any suggestions or
    > help
    > would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks!

    PCL XL is a printer language. There is something wrong with the data
    getting to the printer or there is a problem with the printer. Unplug the
    printer from the power source and let it rest for 5 minutes. Then reapply
    power.

    The PCL XL interpreter on the printer is generating the error not Windows.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    toaster wrote:
    > I am new to any discussion group to show how desperate I am to fix
    > this problem. I have a HP Laserjet 4000 attached directly to my PC
    > in the LPT1 port and run Windows XP Corporate. I have never had a
    > problem printing anything - either from Word, Excel or emails. All
    > of a sudden I cannot print eventhou one day I could and the next day
    > I couldn't. Sometimes I am getting one line of various symbols and
    > the printer showing data but not printing. Sometimes it will print a
    > small spreadsheet from Excel and then a page with:
    >
    > PCL XL error
    >
    > Subsystem: KERNEL
    > Error: Illegal Tag
    > Operator: 0x59
    > Position: 676
    >
    > I have deleted the printer, downloaded the driver from HP,
    > reinstalled the printer, taken the printer off-line and back to
    > on-line all with either no success or worst...print one or two times
    > and then back to unkown symbols across the top of a page or the PCL
    > XL error noted above.
    >
    > I am at wits end and have a lot of work to finish asap which all needs
    > printed. While I can use software programs, I am a total novice when
    > it comes to system errors or understanding interfaces. Any
    > suggestions or help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Admitting you're using pirated software in an MS hosted group is pretty
    stupid. The 'corporate' version was the name given to the pirated volume
    licence version.
    on salads.

Hewlett Packard Windows XP