Looking for Direction

G

Heya. I've been trolling a bit the last few days trying to learn enough info to attempt to OC my system. Few questions still. Please forgive me if I come off as a complete clueless idiot. I will not hide that fact that I AM a complete clueless idiot so consider yourself warned. =)

I've got a P4 2.2 Northwood OEM "intel confidential" processors. 512MB pc2700 Corsair DDR. Asus p4b266-c. Leadtek GeForce 200tdh. SBlive Audigy Gamer. few other goodies...

My first and foremost question is, OC'ing the Processor, is it as easy as just upping the frequency and voltage in the bios? What about my memory? Do I need to be OC'ing it as I up the processor?

Thanks,

Zuk

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
first part of the lesson:
<A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/guides/overclocking/index.html" target="_new">http://www.tomshardware.com/guides/overclocking/index.html</A>

if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<i><font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...<font color=red>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Now this is interesting! For being clueless, you seem to have some pretty nice hardware there! And the "Intel Confidential" sticker... can it be that you have one of the unlocked engineering sample chips???

Assuming you're not pulling my itty bitty leg, sure, overclocking is as simple as pushing the front side bus a bit... and in case you DO actually have an engineering sample that is unlocked, the BEST way to overclock is to change the multiplier... something that most of us mear mortals don't have the option of doing!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

G

Alas, I've been routed out of my deciet! Perhaps better clarification on what I am clueless about. Computers and Gaming have been a hobby for over 10 years. I have never done any sort of OC'ing as I've been petrified of burning things up and I've simply not had the resources to expound on my potential destructive "testing." 8)

And yes, through the gaming world, I've been able to befriend an Intel Insider and he was able to smuggle out on of those nifty processors, that as i am finding out, seem to be Hardware from the gods.

I'll read up on the 'ol OC'ing guide and come back for some more detailed questions I'm sure. Till then!

Zuktana

G

So last night I turned up the multiplier to 24 @ 100mhz. So, everything should be running 2.4. However, when I rebooted, POST shows only 2.2 and there is no indication within XP that I have increased Processor Speed. What am I missing?

I did make sure I saved settings as I exited BIOS and I went back and double checked to be sure of the Multiplier being set at 24.

Zuktana

G

ok,
multiplier 24x
frequency 105
system running at 2332mhz.

if I leave frequency at 100 and multiplier at 8x, the minimum setting, Processor is 1600mhz. if I up only multiplier to 24x, frequency at 100, system runs 2200mhz.

Doesn't make sense to me. why do I have to up frequency to get processor over 2200mhz if processor is unlocked? I have confirmed that it is.

Frequency = bus speed correct? If so, what is making system run at 400mhz FSB if BIOS is showing 100mhz. clearly, I don't understand how this all fits together.

G

lets assume first that it is locked. For me to increase FSB I have to increase Frequency correct?

Lets assume 2ndly that it's not locked, would it be possible that in my utter noobness I am doing something wrong? Or is more information needed to determine that?

Zuktana

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Sorry man, but your test results quite definitely indicate that your processor is locked at 22x. If it wasnt setting the multiplier to 24X woulda upped you to 2.4Ghz. No matter how high the mobo can go the proc just cant go faster than 22x. Your only option for increasing speed is to overclock the FSB. Good luck and dont let those temps get above 65C or your in the danger zone.

Warning Warning Danger Will Robinson, Danger Danger. Fast Intel coming through.

"OOOOO Shiny things. I can make powerful equipment with shiny things!" - The imp Butler from BGII