Unable to collate using internet print protocol

We have a 200 user network with several networked printers. All of the
networked printers are set up to use internet print protocol. We have
discovered that none of the printers will collate print jobs that have been
sent to them using IPP. Even if the print job is set to collate at the local
machine, the job will output uncollated on the printer.

The IPP client that we are using is a novell client, however, according to
Novell, the issue is also present when using Microsoft's IPP client. Also
according to Novell, there is supposed to be a hotfix from Microsoft for this
issue. I haven't been able to locat this on the knowledge base, and a phone
call to Micrsoft tech support also yielded no solution.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this issue and has found a fix for it.

Thanks!
Robbi
5 answers Last reply
More about unable collate internet print protocol

    I do not think this is yet ready. The HotFix was submitted 12/15/2004 and
    the KB article for this is
    884897 but it's not at Microsoft.com so most likely the documentation is
    still in the works. Give the support person the KB and they can locate not
    yet public KBs.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "Robbi" <Robbi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We have a 200 user network with several networked printers. All of the
    > networked printers are set up to use internet print protocol. We have
    > discovered that none of the printers will collate print jobs that have
    been
    > sent to them using IPP. Even if the print job is set to collate at the
    local
    > machine, the job will output uncollated on the printer.
    >
    > The IPP client that we are using is a novell client, however, according to
    > Novell, the issue is also present when using Microsoft's IPP client. Also
    > according to Novell, there is supposed to be a hotfix from Microsoft for
    this
    > issue. I haven't been able to locat this on the knowledge base, and a
    phone
    > call to Micrsoft tech support also yielded no solution.
    >
    > I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this issue and has found a fix for
    it.

    > Thanks!
    > Robbi

    Thanks for the reply, Alan. Tech support at Novell gave us the KB article
    number, and mentioned there was a hotfix, but when I gave this information
    to the XP support persons, they had no clue what I was talking about.
    Microsoft has now escalated to their research team. I received a phone call
    from the research team this morning, who also had no idea about the KB
    article.

    Robbi

    "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:

    > I do not think this is yet ready. The HotFix was submitted 12/15/2004 and
    > the KB article for this is
    > 884897 but it's not at Microsoft.com so most likely the documentation is
    > still in the works. Give the support person the KB and they can locate not
    > yet public KBs.
    >

    > --
    > Alan Morris
    > Windows Printing Team

    > "Robbi" <Robbi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > We have a 200 user network with several networked printers. All of the
    > > networked printers are set up to use internet print protocol. We have
    > > discovered that none of the printers will collate print jobs that have
    > been
    > > sent to them using IPP. Even if the print job is set to collate at the
    > local
    > > machine, the job will output uncollated on the printer.
    > >
    > > The IPP client that we are using is a novell client, however, according to
    > > Novell, the issue is also present when using Microsoft's IPP client. Also
    > > according to Novell, there is supposed to be a hotfix from Microsoft for
    > this
    > > issue. I haven't been able to locat this on the knowledge base, and a
    > phone
    > > call to Micrsoft tech support also yielded no solution.
    > >
    > > I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this issue and has found a fix for
    > it.
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > > Robbi

    Got names?

    --

    > Thanks for the reply, Alan. Tech support at Novell gave us the KB article
    > number, and mentioned there was a hotfix, but when I gave this
    information
    > to the XP support persons, they had no clue what I was talking about.
    > Microsoft has now escalated to their research team. I received a phone
    call
    > from the research team this morning, who also had no idea about the KB
    > article.
    >
    > Robbi
    >
    > "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:
    >
    > > I do not think this is yet ready. The HotFix was submitted 12/15/2004
    and
    > > the KB article for this is
    > > 884897 but it's not at Microsoft.com so most likely the documentation is
    > > still in the works. Give the support person the KB and they can locate
    not
    > > yet public KBs.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Alan Morris
    > > Windows Printing Team
    > > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

    rights.

    > > "Robbi" <Robbi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > We have a 200 user network with several networked printers. All of the
    > > > networked printers are set up to use internet print protocol. We have
    > > > discovered that none of the printers will collate print jobs that have
    > > been
    > > > sent to them using IPP. Even if the print job is set to collate at
    the
    > > local
    > > > machine, the job will output uncollated on the printer.
    > > >
    > > > The IPP client that we are using is a novell client, however,
    according to
    > > > Novell, the issue is also present when using Microsoft's IPP client.
    Also
    > > > according to Novell, there is supposed to be a hotfix from Microsoft
    for
    > > this
    > > > issue. I haven't been able to locat this on the knowledge base, and a
    > > phone
    > > > call to Micrsoft tech support also yielded no solution.
    > > >
    > > > I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this issue and has found a fix
    for
    > > it.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks!
    > > > Robbi

    Sure - how about Colt Lloyd. That's the name on the email I received saying
    he had taken ownership of the support case. I believe it is the person who
    called me today.

    I have an email address too!

    v-2coltl_at_mssupport_dot_microsoft_dot_com

    Thanks for your assistance

    Robbi

    "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:

    > Got names?
    >
    > --
    > Alan Morris
    > Windows Printing Team

    > "Robbi" <Robbi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for the reply, Alan. Tech support at Novell gave us the KB article
    > > number, and mentioned there was a hotfix, but when I gave this
    > information
    > > to the XP support persons, they had no clue what I was talking about.
    > > Microsoft has now escalated to their research team. I received a phone
    > call
    > > from the research team this morning, who also had no idea about the KB
    > > article.
    > >
    > > Robbi
    > >
    > > "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I do not think this is yet ready. The HotFix was submitted 12/15/2004
    > and
    > > > the KB article for this is
    > > > 884897 but it's not at Microsoft.com so most likely the documentation is
    > > > still in the works. Give the support person the KB and they can locate
    > not
    > > > yet public KBs.
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Alan Morris
    > > > Windows Printing Team
    > > > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

    > rights.
    > > >
    > > > "Robbi" <Robbi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > been
    > the
    > > > local

    > according to
    > Also
    > for
    > > > this
    > > > phone

    > for
    > > > it.

    Alan, I have another name. A John Ottosen just called me. He said the alias
    to use is v-2joot. He also said he could not find the KB reference number,
    but would continue to do more research.

    Thanks again!

    Robbi

Printers Microsoft Internet Windows XP