System freeze 2 months after OC!!!???

digikid

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
I OC'ed my PII-350 through by increasing the FSB from 100 to 133MHz on an ASUS P2B MB about two months ago. Everything's been running fine; the RAM is SDRAM133, and all that. The CPU is now running at 350*1.33 = 467MHz.

Last night, the system froze on me, and I tried ot reboot. The RAM count went to ~256MB instead of the 384MB that is installed, so I rebooted again. This time it counted about 160MB before it froze again. I turned the computer off for the night.

This morning, upon reboot, there were no problems: the RAM counted OK, and the system started normally (after some file-checking by Linux).

My question is this: how long after you OC can you still run into stability problems? Two months seemed to long; why didn't it freeze earlier? Does anybody have experiences with this?

Thanks!

:lol: <b><font color=blue>gnintsakgnirkskir ksron</font color=blue></b> :lol:

niconx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well if your pushing the barrier with high temperatures this could happen. or you could have some bad ram that isnt totally bad. if this continues to happen you should resume 350MHz. remember if its a p3 350 its already a pretty old chip. how has it been treated before you OC it?

P4's are good to pee on.

digikid

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
:smile: "P4's are good to pee on"... :lol:

Eh, I think I've treated my PII-350 pretty nicely: no intensive computation, just home-use, surfing, etc. Yup, it's a pretty old chip, but I frankly don't think I need more for the stuff that I do at home! It runs Win2K and Linux like a breeze, with 384MB RAM...

What puzzles me is that the OCing has worked just fine for over two months, and again, this morning, it seems to be OK. Not quite sure what happened last night.

:lol: <b><font color=blue>gnintsakgnirkskir ksron</font color=blue></b> :lol:

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Well check your temps, processors don't enjoy running at high heat. Over 55 degrees celsius can ruin their life, and anything higher than that could mean processor death after long enough.

"When there's a will, there's a way."