Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Printer share

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 6:05:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Hello All

I have a small home network. A d-link router with an
XP pro box and a 98SE box on hardwires, and a W2K machine
via wireless. A Lexmark 6150 shared from the XP box. An
HP 550c shared from the 98SE box.

1) I can connect to the internet from all 3 boxes.

2) I can see and share files between all three boxes.

3) I can share the HP from the 98SE box to the XP and W2K
boxes.

4) I can share the Lexmark from the XP box to the W2K box
[but NOT the 98SE box]

5) I can see the Lexmark share in the workgroup and the
network windows on the 98SE box.

6) The current share name is "LexmarkX"

7) I can run the add printer wizard from the share. I
have the correct drivers for the 9x environment from
Lexmark. When it comes time to search and locate the
printer from inside the Lexmark 9x setup utility, it just
won't find it no matter how many different ways I try to
install the darn thing. Same result from the "start /
settings / add printer" .............. AAAARRRRGGGG!!!.

I am baffled. Could it be protocal or service bindings?
I "think" I have those issues configured correctly, but
not 100% sure. Can I share a printer from 98SE and
receive a share from XP at the same time on the 98SE box?

Thank you in advance

j. galloway

More about : printer share

Anonymous
January 27, 2005 1:00:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Is the XP system running Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"j. galloway" <indngvr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:0ae401c503fb$7e7d6970$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> Hello All
>
> I have a small home network. A d-link router with an
> XP pro box and a 98SE box on hardwires, and a W2K machine
> via wireless. A Lexmark 6150 shared from the XP box. An
> HP 550c shared from the 98SE box.
>
> 1) I can connect to the internet from all 3 boxes.
>
> 2) I can see and share files between all three boxes.
>
> 3) I can share the HP from the 98SE box to the XP and W2K
> boxes.
>
> 4) I can share the Lexmark from the XP box to the W2K box
> [but NOT the 98SE box]
>
> 5) I can see the Lexmark share in the workgroup and the
> network windows on the 98SE box.
>
> 6) The current share name is "LexmarkX"
>
> 7) I can run the add printer wizard from the share. I
> have the correct drivers for the 9x environment from
> Lexmark. When it comes time to search and locate the
> printer from inside the Lexmark 9x setup utility, it just
> won't find it no matter how many different ways I try to
> install the darn thing. Same result from the "start /
> settings / add printer" .............. AAAARRRRGGGG!!!.
>
> I am baffled. Could it be protocal or service bindings?
> I "think" I have those issues configured correctly, but
> not 100% sure. Can I share a printer from 98SE and
> receive a share from XP at the same time on the 98SE box?
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> j. galloway
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 6:32:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Hi Allen, thanks

I'm running Service pack 2.

Here's my latest compilation of info and symptoms:

A Recap: Small home network. A d-link router with a
XP pro box and a 98SE box on hardwires, and a W2K machine
via wireless. A Lexmark 6150 shared from the XP box. An
HP 550c shared from the 98SE box.

1) PROBLEM / I can't share the Lexmark printer attached
to the XP box with the 98SE box

2) I can connect to the Internet from all 3 boxes.

3) I can see and share files between all three boxes.

4) I can share the HP printer on the 98SE box with both
the XP box, and the W2K box.

5) I can share the Lexmark from the XP box to the W2K box
[but NOT the 98SE box]

6) I can see the Lexmark share in all the network related
windows on the 98SE box.

7) I can run the add printer wizard from the share. I
have the correct drivers for the 9x environment from
www.lexmark.com. When it comes time to search and locate
the printer from inside the Lexmark 9x setup utility,
setup just refuses to find it no matter how many ways I
try to ram the drivers down the darn thing's throat.

8) I ran a network setup disk, created on the
XP box, on the 98SE box. I received an error stating
unable to find a "missing resource", but didn't say which
one. Could that be important? [Remember, I can see, share
and changes files between all 3 boxes]

9) I cannot add the 9x drivers to "additional drivers"
wizard on the XP box without receiving errors which stop
the process. "no driver for the selected environment"
or "blaa blaa blaa, unable to complete operation?"

10) The share name is "LexmarkX" no dashes or spaces.

I am still baffled. I'm starting to think adapter
protocol or service bindings? I think I have them
configured correctly, but I'm certainly not 100% sure.

It's really becoming a "man vs. machine" thing !!

Again, thanks for for your reply

j. galloway


..
Related resources
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 8:28:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I downloaded the driver files from Lexmark. There's 280 files per driver
per OS. I could not get their 98 driver to install as an additional
driver so I just used have disk when making the connection from Win98 to
point to the location I had unzipped the files but the driver is not
installed correctly and does not print the test page to the XP machine
sharing the printer.

I think this is one of those printers that needs to be connected to the
machine before the driver gets installed properly.

Install the printer and driver locally then make the connection to the XP
machine using the driver that is already installed.


--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"j. galloway" <indngvr@hoymail.com> wrote in message
news:14cd01c504c8$661268e0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> Hi Allen, thanks
>
> I'm running Service pack 2.
>
> Here's my latest compilation of info and symptoms:
>
> A Recap: Small home network. A d-link router with a
> XP pro box and a 98SE box on hardwires, and a W2K machine
> via wireless. A Lexmark 6150 shared from the XP box. An
> HP 550c shared from the 98SE box.
>
> 1) PROBLEM / I can't share the Lexmark printer attached
> to the XP box with the 98SE box
>
> 2) I can connect to the Internet from all 3 boxes.
>
> 3) I can see and share files between all three boxes.
>
> 4) I can share the HP printer on the 98SE box with both
> the XP box, and the W2K box.
>
> 5) I can share the Lexmark from the XP box to the W2K box
> [but NOT the 98SE box]
>
> 6) I can see the Lexmark share in all the network related
> windows on the 98SE box.
>
> 7) I can run the add printer wizard from the share. I
> have the correct drivers for the 9x environment from
> www.lexmark.com. When it comes time to search and locate
> the printer from inside the Lexmark 9x setup utility,
> setup just refuses to find it no matter how many ways I
> try to ram the drivers down the darn thing's throat.
>
> 8) I ran a network setup disk, created on the
> XP box, on the 98SE box. I received an error stating
> unable to find a "missing resource", but didn't say which
> one. Could that be important? [Remember, I can see, share
> and changes files between all 3 boxes]
>
> 9) I cannot add the 9x drivers to "additional drivers"
> wizard on the XP box without receiving errors which stop
> the process. "no driver for the selected environment"
> or "blaa blaa blaa, unable to complete operation?"
>
> 10) The share name is "LexmarkX" no dashes or spaces.
>
> I am still baffled. I'm starting to think adapter
> protocol or service bindings? I think I have them
> configured correctly, but I'm certainly not 100% sure.
>
> It's really becoming a "man vs. machine" thing !!
>
> Again, thanks for for your reply
>
> j. galloway
>
>
> .
>
>
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 10:32:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Hi Alan, (thanks for staying with me on this)

Just to clarify:

Are you advising me to install the Lexmark printer and
install the drivers locally at the 98Se box, and then
move it back to the XP Box and then possibly the share
may work?
Or are you advising me that I need to leave the Lexmark
locally at the 98Se box and then share it back to the XP
box. Then move the HP printer locally to either the XP
box or the W2K box for all shares to work?
I really need the Lexmark and the XP box at the same
location. If that won't be possible, at least I know to
quit banging my head against the wall and accept things
as they are. This issue is not mission critical, I just
wanted to "beat the machine" on this one, that's all.

again ............ thanks for your replies

j. galloway
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:17:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

give it a try. Get the driver added properly on the 98 system, print a
test page, then move the printer back to XP, and make the connection to
\\xpmachine\printshare and point to the previously installed 98 driver when
prompted for device drivers.

You would have to ask Lexmark it this is possible for sure. If you can
create a fake printer using the HP LaserJet 4 driver (this driver is in all
the OSes we shipped) and share it out on the XP system and the 98 system can
make the connection, the only thing stopping the Lexmark from working is the
driver.

> Are you advising me to install the Lexmark printer and
> install the drivers locally at the 98Se box, and then
> move it back to the XP Box and then possibly the share
> may work?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"j. galloway" <indngvr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:160c01c504ea$04bef910$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> Hi Alan, (thanks for staying with me on this)
>
> Just to clarify:
>
> Are you advising me to install the Lexmark printer and
> install the drivers locally at the 98Se box, and then
> move it back to the XP Box and then possibly the share
> may work?
> Or are you advising me that I need to leave the Lexmark
> locally at the 98Se box and then share it back to the XP
> box. Then move the HP printer locally to either the XP
> box or the W2K box for all shares to work?
> I really need the Lexmark and the XP box at the same
> location. If that won't be possible, at least I know to
> quit banging my head against the wall and accept things
> as they are. This issue is not mission critical, I just
> wanted to "beat the machine" on this one, that's all.
>
> again ............ thanks for your replies
>
> j. galloway
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 4:06:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Hey there Alan,

Thanks for your time. I will print and try your
suggestions. They sound solid, and seem consistant with
my symptoms. And if they don't work seamlessly, I'll
accept the system as is. At least I can R.I.P. knowing I
have it configured as best I can, given the hardware,
software, and location needs I have in place.

Again, thanks !!

Good Weekend on you !!


j. galloway
!