Installed SP2, now can't add Fax Service

Hello fellow guru's,

I just upgraded my winxp pro system up to SP2, now when I try to setup a fax
service, I get errors when trying to copy the correct files. The files that
it is looking for are in the correct place but it can't copy any of them. I
am prompted to go to the SP2 cd and locate the files but they are not there.
What do I do without shooting the computer with a 44 magnum?

Dunnie
5 answers Last reply
More about installed service

    When the installation routine is unable to find the necessary installation
    files (even when directed to the appropriate i386 Folder) it usually means
    that the installation files are compressed. This is often the case when the
    files are pre-copied by a manufacturer on the hard drive. If you do a search
    for the files that the installation routine claims are missing (fxsapi.dll
    and fxcfgwz.dll) you won't find them, but you will find fxsapi.dl_ and
    fxcfgwz.dl_ (note than an Underscore character replaces the last letter in
    the filename). These are compressed DLL files and will need to be
    decompressed. Double click on them and you will get a prompt for the file to
    use to open them. Click on BROWSE. and select Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor,
    which is in the system folder. With any luck it will uncompress them all and
    make them visible as DLL files. The install routine still may not find these
    files. If so, then you must manually direct the installation routine to the
    i386 folder that contains these extracted files.

    "Cannot Copy File Fxscfgwz.dll" Error Message When You Try to Install
    Windows XP Fax Services
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822799

    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

    "BOB" <NO@SPAM.NET> wrote in message
    > Hello fellow guru's,
    >
    > I just upgraded my winxp pro system up to SP2, now when I try to setup a
    > fax service, I get errors when trying to copy the correct files. The files
    > that it is looking for are in the correct place but it can't copy any of
    > them. I am prompted to go to the SP2 cd and locate the files but they are
    > not there. What do I do without shooting the computer with a 44 magnum?
    >
    > Dunnie

    Thanks Hal'

    I will try this and see what happens

    Dunnie

    "Hal Hostetler [MVP-S/U]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
    > When the installation routine is unable to find the necessary installation
    > files (even when directed to the appropriate i386 Folder) it usually means
    > that the installation files are compressed. This is often the case when
    > the files are pre-copied by a manufacturer on the hard drive. If you do a
    > search for the files that the installation routine claims are missing
    > (fxsapi.dll and fxcfgwz.dll) you won't find them, but you will find
    > fxsapi.dl_ and fxcfgwz.dl_ (note than an Underscore character replaces the
    > last letter in the filename). These are compressed DLL files and will need
    > to be decompressed. Double click on them and you will get a prompt for the
    > file to use to open them. Click on BROWSE. and select Win32 Cabinet
    > Self-Extractor, which is in the system folder. With any luck it will
    > uncompress them all and make them visible as DLL files. The install
    > routine still may not find these files. If so, then you must manually
    > direct the installation routine to the i386 folder that contains these
    > extracted files.
    >
    > "Cannot Copy File Fxscfgwz.dll" Error Message When You Try to Install
    > Windows XP Fax Services
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822799
    >
    > Hal
    > --
    > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-S/U -- WA7BGX
    > Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
    >
    > "BOB" <NO@SPAM.NET> wrote in message
    >> Hello fellow guru's,
    >>
    >> I just upgraded my winxp pro system up to SP2, now when I try to setup a
    >> fax service, I get errors when trying to copy the correct files. The
    >> files that it is looking for are in the correct place but it can't copy
    >> any of them. I am prompted to go to the SP2 cd and locate the files but
    >> they are not there. What do I do without shooting the computer with a 44
    >> magnum?
    >>
    >> Dunnie

    I've just discovered this thread after seeing that appearently this is a
    Windows SP2 bug. I can't install faxing either. But your solution is too
    complex for me to follow. Can't you guys write a patch and put up under
    Windows Update? I NEED TO FAX! (please?)

    Scott Fitzgerald

    "bob bonehead" wrote:

    > Thanks Hal'
    >
    > I will try this and see what happens
    >
    > Dunnie
    >
    > "Hal Hostetler [MVP-S/U]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
    > > When the installation routine is unable to find the necessary installation
    > > files (even when directed to the appropriate i386 Folder) it usually means
    > > that the installation files are compressed. This is often the case when
    > > the files are pre-copied by a manufacturer on the hard drive. If you do a
    > > search for the files that the installation routine claims are missing
    > > (fxsapi.dll and fxcfgwz.dll) you won't find them, but you will find
    > > fxsapi.dl_ and fxcfgwz.dl_ (note than an Underscore character replaces the
    > > last letter in the filename). These are compressed DLL files and will need
    > > to be decompressed. Double click on them and you will get a prompt for the
    > > file to use to open them. Click on BROWSE. and select Win32 Cabinet
    > > Self-Extractor, which is in the system folder. With any luck it will
    > > uncompress them all and make them visible as DLL files. The install
    > > routine still may not find these files. If so, then you must manually
    > > direct the installation routine to the i386 folder that contains these
    > > extracted files.
    > >
    > > "Cannot Copy File Fxscfgwz.dll" Error Message When You Try to Install
    > > Windows XP Fax Services
    > >
    > > Hal
    > > --
    > > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    > > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-S/U -- WA7BGX
    > > http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
    > > KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
    > > Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
    > >
    > > "BOB" <NO@SPAM.NET> wrote in message
    > >> Hello fellow guru's,
    > >>
    > >> I just upgraded my winxp pro system up to SP2, now when I try to setup a
    > >> fax service, I get errors when trying to copy the correct files. The
    > >> files that it is looking for are in the correct place but it can't copy
    > >> any of them. I am prompted to go to the SP2 cd and locate the files but
    > >> they are not there. What do I do without shooting the computer with a 44
    > >> magnum?
    > >>
    > >> Dunnie

    I'm having the same problem and now that I've found the Win32 Cabinet
    Self-Extractor, when I try to use it to open the compressed files I get the
    message "A REquired resource could not be located."

    What's the next step.

    BTW: I'm running a new Compaq Presario notebook, that was preloaded with SP2.

    rebecca

    "Scott Fitzgerald" wrote:

    > I've just discovered this thread after seeing that appearently this is a
    > Windows SP2 bug. I can't install faxing either. But your solution is too
    > complex for me to follow. Can't you guys write a patch and put up under
    > Windows Update? I NEED TO FAX! (please?)
    >
    > Scott Fitzgerald
    >
    > "bob bonehead" wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks Hal'
    > >
    > > I will try this and see what happens
    > >
    > > Dunnie
    > >
    > > "Hal Hostetler [MVP-S/U]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
    > > > When the installation routine is unable to find the necessary installation
    > > > files (even when directed to the appropriate i386 Folder) it usually means
    > > > that the installation files are compressed. This is often the case when
    > > > the files are pre-copied by a manufacturer on the hard drive. If you do a
    > > > search for the files that the installation routine claims are missing
    > > > (fxsapi.dll and fxcfgwz.dll) you won't find them, but you will find
    > > > fxsapi.dl_ and fxcfgwz.dl_ (note than an Underscore character replaces the
    > > > last letter in the filename). These are compressed DLL files and will need
    > > > to be decompressed. Double click on them and you will get a prompt for the
    > > > file to use to open them. Click on BROWSE. and select Win32 Cabinet
    > > > Self-Extractor, which is in the system folder. With any luck it will
    > > > uncompress them all and make them visible as DLL files. The install
    > > > routine still may not find these files. If so, then you must manually
    > > > direct the installation routine to the i386 folder that contains these
    > > > extracted files.
    > > >
    > > > "Cannot Copy File Fxscfgwz.dll" Error Message When You Try to Install
    > > > Windows XP Fax Services
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822799
    > > >
    > > > Hal
    > > > --
    > > > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    > > > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-S/U -- WA7BGX
    > > > http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
    > > > KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
    > > > Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
    > > >
    > > > "BOB" <NO@SPAM.NET> wrote in message

    I am having the same problem installing the Fax program as everyone else is.
    I am using XP Pro w/SP2 already installed (both on one OEM CD)

    I have been reading the various replies and keep reading about this "Win32
    Cabinet
    Self-Extractor" program. Where do I find this? It is not on the CD and is no
    where on the computer. When I double click on fxcfgwz.dl_ and click on
    Browse, where do I go from there to find the program to decompress the DLL
    file. I do know my way around computers, I build custom computers as a side
    business.

    The computer that I am using is one that I built. I still have my old
    computer hooked up through a LAN. The old computer is a XP Home w/ SP2. I
    was able to install the Fax program on that with no problem,so I have an
    uncompressed version of fxcfgwz.dl_. I transfered this file to my new
    computer and saved it on a local drive and tried to install the fax program
    again. When I directed the install program to the location of the
    uncompressed version of fxcfgwz.dl_, It would not accept it (no error
    message) and kept showing the window saying to put the Win Xp cd in. Why can
    I not use the uncompressed file?

    I do this is a lot of information, but I am hoping someone out there can
    help and it may help others who are having the same issues.

    Thank You
    Computatoe

    "Hal Hostetler [MVP-S/U]" wrote:

    > When the installation routine is unable to find the necessary installation
    > files (even when directed to the appropriate i386 Folder) it usually means
    > that the installation files are compressed. This is often the case when the
    > files are pre-copied by a manufacturer on the hard drive. If you do a search
    > for the files that the installation routine claims are missing (fxsapi.dll
    > and fxcfgwz.dll) you won't find them, but you will find fxsapi.dl_ and
    > fxcfgwz.dl_ (note than an Underscore character replaces the last letter in
    > the filename). These are compressed DLL files and will need to be
    > decompressed. Double click on them and you will get a prompt for the file to
    > use to open them. Click on BROWSE. and select Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor,
    > which is in the system folder. With any luck it will uncompress them all and
    > make them visible as DLL files. The install routine still may not find these
    > files. If so, then you must manually direct the installation routine to the
    > i386 folder that contains these extracted files.
    >
    > "Cannot Copy File Fxscfgwz.dll" Error Message When You Try to Install
    > Windows XP Fax Services
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822799
    >
    > Hal
    > --
    > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-S/U -- WA7BGX
    > Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
    >
    > "BOB" <NO@SPAM.NET> wrote in message
    > > Hello fellow guru's,
    > >
    > > I just upgraded my winxp pro system up to SP2, now when I try to setup a
    > > fax service, I get errors when trying to copy the correct files. The files
    > > that it is looking for are in the correct place but it can't copy any of
    > > them. I am prompted to go to the SP2 cd and locate the files but they are
    > > not there. What do I do without shooting the computer with a 44 magnum?
    > >
    > > Dunnie

Fax Microsoft Windows XP