Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
Has anyone tried the new 3000-3200 DDR ram in an Abit KR7A yet? I've been doomed to 150FSB for 1640 on my XP1700. No amount of tweaking has gotten me to run Windows ME faster than that. I currently have Corsair 2400(150) so it got me where it promised, I'm just wondering if I could break the 150 with the new Ram. I've been able to get my CPU to post at over 1700 Mhz, but cannot do so stably. I haven't unlocked it either, to turn down the multiplier and increase the FSB. I'd have to hit 154 to equal out where I;m at now and even more to surpass.

i can get a 3200 DIMM@256 for $96. Not sure if it would be a good investment though if it doesnt help. Since for $120 I could buy a new XP1900(1.6) and turn up the FSB to 150 for an effective 1.8Ghz which more than likely would work.

:cool: Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!! :cool:

svol

Champion
I don't think it is the mem that is holding you back. It also can be the board (it is not a 333 MHz board), the Southbridge and its PCI-devices or the AGP card. And it slso could be the CPU that is OC'ed to its max, btw are you running at max VCore or at the normal 1.75V. If it is on the normal you might want to higher it to get higher CPU speed, IF temps are not that high.

<b>THGC:</b> before: :frown: :eek: , after: :smile: :cool: .

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
Temps are fine, I've tried the higher vcore(maxed it out actually) and didn't change. I played with the memory timings and everything. I get into windows just fine, but I begin to get dll errors as I move along. So I'm not truly sure whats holding me back. Not that I don't have a nice OC, but I'd like to get as much out of this as I possibly can.

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
Well I've upped all my voltages to max. The one I never touched was my I/O Voltage(northbridge??). My CPU is at 1.85, DDR at 2.75 and I/O at 2.65v. I've gotten stably into Windows ME at 1683Mhz. I can run windows at 1694(154FSB) but my NIC interface locks up so i can't surf(cable modem). I'll have to run a few benchs and see how much of a boost I got.

G

I have 512 mb of OCZ PC3000 on my KR7A (2 DIMMS) and I can easily run it at 185 fsb - probably 190, maybe a little more (for some reason my .5 multipliers won't work so I was limited with my core speeds - so I didn't try much beyond 185 since the drop in core speed was enough to warrant a little lower fsb) Anyway... the new 3200 stuff supposedly runs past 210... Since I have two sticks I have trouble running it at 1T Command Rate (I get some errors, but no freezes) Maybe I could iron it out with full voltage but didn't try yet.... Anyway, All that to say - yes, PC3000 ram runs fast on a KR7A. Without your multiplier unlocked though forget running 185 - that would put your 1700 at over 2 Ghz! Also, once you get past 150-160 you have to start ditching useful things like DMA so sometimes it ain't worth it. Also, Corsair is good RAM - it should go higher than 150. My 1700+ will only do about 1660 (give or take, I spent more time on the FSB so I don't know the real max, maybe as much as 1700 but I doubt it) and I have a pretty good cooling set-up so it is very possible that your CPU is at or approaching max. If you want the max - get it unlocked. <shrug> On the other hand, I couldn't get ME to run stable with a completely stock system - I think the OS is junk: ME = Misery Edition. But anyway... I just wish this board has a PCI divider setting (is that something they CAN change in a BIOS update or is it a hardware thing?) I have rambled a whole lot - so here's my advice one more time - Get your chip unlocked then consider new RAM if that is indeed what is keeping you back - it's unlikely that 3200 or 3000 RAM will go UP in price in the meantime... Good luck!

svol

Champion
I think it is a hardware thing, unfortaintly. If it was possible by BIOS you should be able to download some 'modded' BIOS'es with different dividers on a OC site. It would be very handy it that is possible.

<b>THGC:</b> before: :frown: :eek: , after: :smile: :cool: .