Low FPS when recording with MSI Afterburner.

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
Okay here's the thing. I have an HD 7750 OC'd to 880mhz. Now, I have games where I can get near a constant 60fps while not recording at 1600x900, but when I record in 60fps at HALF RESOLUTION I get like 40 or 50fps. I even have games where I can get 90fps and I still get only 40-50fps while recording. This makes no sense, if I can get 60fps most of the time, while not recording, I should be able to get 60fps while recording.

So is there anything I can do to fix this?

BTW here are some of my specs:
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6700 @ 3.20GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Video card: AMD Radeon HD 7750

Sprunk95

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Hi there,

Gameplay recording softwares use your hard drive and CPU more than your graphics card, i recommand you to use an SSD for that kind of stuff, also try to change your CPU, it's not that fast for doing that.

Cheers, Sprunk95

The answer is simple. The CPU is being overwhelmed because it only has 2 cores. Most games use two cores, and depending on the codec used video encoding may use 1 or 2 cores. So... your CPU is being maxed out by playing games and encoding video at the same time. The most obvious solution is to build a new PC with a quad core CPU. Of course, if you play a game that uses all 4 cores (not very many games), then encoding video at the same time will also decrease performance.

Encoding the video to a different physical hard drive than where the game is installed in can help improve performance a little bit, but only when the game needs to access the hard drive to load data, like maps.

TRENDING THREADS