Sign in with
Your question

Low FPS when recording with MSI Afterburner.

Last response: in Video Games
August 16, 2012 4:15:16 PM

Okay here's the thing. I have an HD 7750 OC'd to 880mhz. Now, I have games where I can get near a constant 60fps while not recording at 1600x900, but when I record in 60fps at HALF RESOLUTION I get like 40 or 50fps. I even have games where I can get 90fps and I still get only 40-50fps while recording. This makes no sense, if I can get 60fps most of the time, while not recording, I should be able to get 60fps while recording.

So is there anything I can do to fix this?

BTW here are some of my specs:
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6700 @ 3.20GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Video card: AMD Radeon HD 7750
August 16, 2012 4:23:36 PM

I believe the recording will have a big impact on CPU, RAM and HDD rather than GPU.
m
l
August 16, 2012 4:35:18 PM

^
the guy above is right. Check your CPU usage.
m
l
Related resources
August 16, 2012 5:38:53 PM

Hi there,

Gameplay recording softwares use your hard drive and CPU more than your graphics card, i recommand you to use an SSD for that kind of stuff, also try to change your CPU, it's not that fast for doing that.

Cheers, Sprunk95
m
l
August 16, 2012 6:03:34 PM

The answer is simple. The CPU is being overwhelmed because it only has 2 cores. Most games use two cores, and depending on the codec used video encoding may use 1 or 2 cores. So... your CPU is being maxed out by playing games and encoding video at the same time. The most obvious solution is to build a new PC with a quad core CPU. Of course, if you play a game that uses all 4 cores (not very many games), then encoding video at the same time will also decrease performance.

Encoding the video to a different physical hard drive than where the game is installed in can help improve performance a little bit, but only when the game needs to access the hard drive to load data, like maps.

m
l
!