AVG running temp for standard Athlon XP1900+?

keegs

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2002
My standard out-of-the-box AthlonXP generally sits at 55c (129F), doing almost everything. Can other people post their temps cos I think mine is a bit high. I have 1 chassis fan at a Volcano h/sink & fan on the CPU.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The temp monitoring systems aren't very accurate. I have an XP 1700+ that runs at 35 degrees C under load... Pretty good huh? ... Except that when I had the same chip in a different motherboard it ran in the mid to upper 40's!

Your 55 sounds kind of hot, but have you noticed any instability? It may just be a temp monitoring problem.

I also have a P4 Northwood on an Asus P4S333... Now get this - the BIOS says 35 degrees, the Asus probe shows 40 degrees (never changes) and Motherboard Monitor shows 51 degrees, also never changes. I figure I need a new BIOS at some point to fix this Asus board problem.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

svol

Champion
If it doesn't get unstable then the temp is ok, a little high maybe. If it is unstable then you have to look for better case cooling or a other heatsink.

<b>THGC:</b> before: :frown: :eek: , after: :smile: :cool: .

keegs

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2002
I have an Epok 8KHA+ motherboard, and generally it reads it at 50/55c. motherboard monitor 5 reads it at the same - generally around 55. I was encoding a DVD into SVCD's last night and it reached 60c according to MBM5.

I think it should be cooler, but I already have an upgraded fan and heatsink on the CPU with a chassis fan taking the air out the back. I have room and power for another fan at the front of the case, but I dont know if its worth while to get another fan. <i>By the way, I also got the default AMD fan/heatsink with my computer, should I perhaps put that on and see if the current HSF isn't contacting properly or something? <b>(And too see if the lazy guys who built my PC put thermal lube on- hah!</b></i> It is noisy and heats up a room already compared to my old pentium3 650.

On tom's motherboard reviews, it said that one of the m/boards it reviewed showed the temperature higher than what it really is. Do any of you know what M/board that was?

Apart from cutting holes in the side of my case, what else is there I can do? I want to overclock it to at least to a 2000... at least <b>eventually.</b>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by keegs on 04/15/02 08:32 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

keegs

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2002
there should be a CPU O/C Newbie forum so I don't feel like a dork when posting here :)

My next newbie questions:
What is a shim? what does it do?

Are the little black pads that are on the CPU essential? isn't the heatsink meant to make direct contact with the CPU and hence take the heat out? (how will it be as productive if it is not touching the CPU?).

I want to pull off my heatsink (just for now!), but I dont know if it is wise because of the thermal phase changing stuff. If i pull it off, that means the phase changing thermal stuff is "gone"... right? But i can go get some thermal paste and put more on again when I put it back on again, right?

thanks for answerring these Q's

svol

Champion
I'm starting to wonder if your heatsink is correctly installed, with a good HSF and one casefans you shouldn't get temps that high. I don't know if your current heatsink is better then the retail, but you might want to check if it is installed correctly and if they used Arctic Silver 2/3 as thermal paste. It probably has a normal thermal pad, you can remove this with a knife and some rubbing alcohol. If you want info about installing the Arctic Silver you can look at their website: <A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com" target="_new">http://www.arcticsilver.com</A>.

svol

Champion
A shim is a piece of metal that you put between the CPU and the Heatsink. As you probably know the CPU core has a standout which connects with some thermal paste to the heatsink. The 4 pads on the side are there to stabelize the heatsink, so its best to leave them there. With a shim you can prevent a heatsink from crushing the core if it gets hit hard. It helps your heatsink to fit stabel above your CPU.

When I first got my 1900+ she ran at close or higher than what yours is running and I knew OClocking her was going to push her even higher, so I decided to change my heatsink to one that I knew would cover whatever I wanted to do, I researched different OClocking sites reading reviews and trying to figure out what in the world to do, I don't remember where, but I read an article written by a guy praising the heatsink Swiftek 462, because his cooling fan had failed and the heatsink itself had saved his machine, I bought the Swiftek 462 myself and installed it on my machine, using the lower option fan my temp under extreme processing load doesn't exceed 38c, that is an expensive option and alternative and if you go with the high speed Delta fan you can cut your temps even lower, however sound is something you have to put up with its a lot louder than the average computer. I put a chunk of money into building my computer, I wanted a heatsink and fan so I could OC without worrying and I found it Swiftek 462, You get what you pay for. Oh don't take the little pads off the processor, but do use a good thermal compound. If your 1900+ is green don't worry with the shims, if its brown you may consider using the shim.

keegs

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2002
SVOL: To be honest, Im not sure if my heatsink is properly installed either. I'm trying to figure out how to remove the thing without pulling out the motherboard or damaging the CPU. The clips are well 'clipped', but I'm probably going to approach it with a screwdriver later today.

It is a Volcano heat sink, I am not sure which model, bu I assume it is a Volcano 6 because the other Volcano models do not support 1900+ Athlon XP. The heatsink I have was the biggest one my local computer shop, and from what I have heard they are pretty good. It cost me $70 Australian, which is approx $30-35 USD. I'm not sure about whether there is thermal paste on it. If I pull it off, will there be a residue of some distinquishability which would enable me to determine what thermal paste (if any) was used?

4ryan6: how much was the swiftek 462 that you have?

thanks for all your info! :)

It's on sale for $72.00 US plus S&H at www.inflowdirect.com, If you were to consider getting you one I need to tell you that it mounts through the four holes on your motherboard, comes with detailed instructions and diagrams on how to install it, its not difficult just time consuming, but you will have to remove your motherboard from the case to install it. Swiftek 462. Make sure your motherboard has the four mounting holes around the 462 socket, before you even entertain the idea.

keegs

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2002
For $72+(p&h) US, I think I will pass. thanks for the details tho - and i'm pretty sure my board doesnt support that.
also, can someone tell me how to get off my HSF because I've looked and tried but can't seem to get the little ah heck off.