pII 233

jedge78

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
Hi
I have an old dell pII 233 that I was thinking of overclocking. However, I know very little about overclocking. I just bought an enermax 350 power supply and a well ventilated aluminum case. Do you guys think that overclocking would be a good idea and do you think the computer will perform much better?
Specs:
160 megs of ram
pII 233
Windows ME
STB 128 Video 4 megs of ram
2 40 Gig hd's

Thanx

niconx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
it would make way more sense to just upgrade that slot cpu to a socket CPU, that would speed you up far more then any overclocking that pII could take.

<A HREF="http://www.memoryshippers.com/shop/department.asp?did=76&pdid=1" target="_new">$5.00 Slocket converter</A>
<A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com/" target="_new">CPU prices</A>

As far as what CPU you can put in there with your chipset i dont know, maybe someone else can help with that part. Im guessing that you can even put a pIII in there but without bios support for the special SSE instructions the pIII would not be totally utilized, still way faster then a pII though!

P4's are good to pee on.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Yeah, I think you can get a PIII up to 1GHz to fit in that Slot 1. I have a PIII600E in that same configuration. Also if you going to be playing some games on that machine, you may want to get a new video card.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can simply set the multiplier at something higher to overclock. It should do 300MHz with the 4.5x multiplier, I doubt more, and even that requires decent cooling. If your board supports higher bus frequencies, 4x75MHz or 3x100MHz offer even better performance at 300MHz.

Your board should support at least a Celeron PPGA 533. If it supports Coppermines in BIOS, at leat a Celeron 766. And that's with a 66MHz bus speed. All these are inexpensive.
If your board supports 100MHz FSB, a PIII would be a good option. Even better if your board can do 133MHz fSB.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?