XP won't install Epson Stylus CX4600 software

Tags:
  • Epson
  • Gateway
  • Software
  • Windows XP
January 27, 2005 3:37:11 PM

Got a new Gateway 5200XL, and the printer came with it. Every time I try to
install the software, I get a setup message saying, "Setup cannot copy the
file. Setup disk may be damaged." It even gives me this message when I try
to install the software I downloaded from Epson! The disk isn't damaged,
obviously the downloaded stuff isn't damaged, but I keep getting the same
message. Gateway says the problem is with Epson. Epson says the problem is
with Gateway. I bounced back and forth between the two yesterday for six
hours with no answers. Epson was very nice, Gateway not so nice. Has this
happened to anyone else? Can someone help me solve this problem? My phone
bill went nuts yesterday.

More about : install epson stylus cx4600 software

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:11:04 AM

I have the same problem only with a 7200XL and a Canon i550 printer. I've
been the support rounds, even talked with Microsoft. It's a problem with the
security of XPsp2 and unsigned drivers, that much I do know, and I have seen
other postings with these same errors only dealing with the Epson Stylus
printers. I also can't load ActiveX or control my own Windows Updates.
Anyone find a solution yet?

"Orcasgordy" wrote:

> Got a new Gateway 5200XL, and the printer came with it. Every time I try to
> install the software, I get a setup message saying, "Setup cannot copy the
> file. Setup disk may be damaged." It even gives me this message when I try
> to install the software I downloaded from Epson! The disk isn't damaged,
> obviously the downloaded stuff isn't damaged, but I keep getting the same
> message. Gateway says the problem is with Epson. Epson says the problem is
> with Gateway. I bounced back and forth between the two yesterday for six
> hours with no answers. Epson was very nice, Gateway not so nice. Has this
> happened to anyone else? Can someone help me solve this problem? My phone
> bill went nuts yesterday.
January 28, 2005 1:10:21 AM

Sounds like Gateway should be getting a computer and printer back for full
refund.

"Orcasgordy" <Orcasgordy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Got a new Gateway 5200XL, and the printer came with it. Every time I try
> install the software, I get a setup message saying, "Setup cannot copy the
> file. Setup disk may be damaged." It even gives me this message when I
> try
> to install the software I downloaded from Epson! The disk isn't damaged,
> obviously the downloaded stuff isn't damaged, but I keep getting the same
> message. Gateway says the problem is with Epson. Epson says the problem
> is
> with Gateway. I bounced back and forth between the two yesterday for six
> hours with no answers. Epson was very nice, Gateway not so nice. Has
> this
> happened to anyone else? Can someone help me solve this problem? My
> phone
> bill went nuts yesterday.
February 5, 2005 5:11:04 PM

Found out the problem is with the Intel 915ghz chipset. Won't allow install
of multifunction printers (just Epson, I hope). Got this info from Epson and
Gateway didn't disagree. Will now have to get another printer. What a
monumental hassle this has been.

"Orcasgordy" wrote:

> Got a new Gateway 5200XL, and the printer came with it. Every time I try to
> install the software, I get a setup message saying, "Setup cannot copy the
> file. Setup disk may be damaged." It even gives me this message when I try
> to install the software I downloaded from Epson! The disk isn't damaged,
> obviously the downloaded stuff isn't damaged, but I keep getting the same
> message. Gateway says the problem is with Epson. Epson says the problem is
> with Gateway. I bounced back and forth between the two yesterday for six
> hours with no answers. Epson was very nice, Gateway not so nice. Has this
> happened to anyone else? Can someone help me solve this problem? My phone
> bill went nuts yesterday.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 1:39:02 AM

Wonder of wonders!!! I installed the software just so I'd have a scanner (I
got another little printer that just prints), and found that I still had to
install the drivers. For some reason this time it installed with no error
messages and now I have 2 printers! I've got to get hold of Gateway
Corporate Tech Support tomorrow and tell them my problem is somehow solved.
They've been working with me on various solutions that were all unsuccessful.
This is going to be weird.

!