How loud is this fan? Please relate

_zaphod_

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2002
Hi, I saw these two fans:

1. 3 speed control speed setting and is 22 - 39.6 db loud. The performace is 67.28 - 94.92 CFM

2. A fixed control speed setting at a performace rate of 125.5 CFM but the db rate is 45.

Everyone saying 45 db is very loud.. like could you maybe compare it to something? like how much louder would it be then a factory bought MIRCON PC without any fans added or removed or anything. Do you know if it owuld be about this loud or quieter? I dont mind what is going right now.. but I cant tell how loud 45db is.

or if you didnt understand that.. abotu how loud is just the average fan in a DELL computer, factory bought?

niconx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well 45db is loud enough to hear about 20 feet away, more if you have good ears. fan noise is usually more annoying too because of its whine sound. 32db is nice and quiet for most people. those microns and dells have very quiet fans, they are made that way beacuse customers complain obviously.

P4's are good to pee on.

My HSF puts out 23db.

But due to increasing pressure from others in the forum, I can't disclose what it is.

<b><font color=blue>~ Oh flower of Scotland...da da de de dum dum doo doo.~ </font color=blue></b>

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
anything below 30 db is virtually silent...anything higher will be heard...

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

Balls_Of_Steel

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
well i herd that as normal ppl talk at about 47 Db. but that is just a guess. i think i read it somewhere in a gun magazine. it was about silencers.

"wiping my butt is like picking penut butter out of shag carput" John Carr

taiwoong

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2001
how about those sunon 80 mm that are sold in newegg.com

i have Swiftech delta fan and they are really loud..

my friend slept over at my house and couldn't sleep while my computer was on..

somebody recommended that sunon fan for replacement, but all of reviews in newegg.com says it's too loud.

how loud is it? and any other recommendation??

Raffe

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2002
_Zaphod_ Check out these fan-noise related sites:

<A HREF="http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/sidewindercomputers/tecar.html" target="_new">The listening room</A> (Listen and compare)
<A HREF="http://www.frostytech.com/articlesearch.cfm?SearchValue=&Search=Search&Category=198&CategorySearch=Get+Listing" target="_new">Frostytech heatzink-reviews</A> (Most reviews contains fan-noise samples)
<A HREF="http://www.microplex.no/rubweb/lytterom/index.html" target="_new">Papst noise-samples</A> (norwegian Papst fan-noise site)
<A HREF="http://www.gizzo.8m.com/fans/index_all.html" target="_new">Gizzo's fan page</A> (Online fan database - 60, 80, 120mm)
<A HREF="http://www.gibtek.co.uk/hardware/thermaltakefan.html" target="_new">From Delta to quiet Thermaltake fan-review</A>

Raffe

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2002
<b>"Poster: pr497
Quote: anything below 30 db is virtually silent...anything higher will be heard..."</b>

I can see that you own a Delta or similar 45+ dB fan. Well, everything is relative. In my ears 30dB is pretty loud. Im talking from experience; I had to reduce the fan speed on my 60mm-28dB-21CFM-4550rpm CPU-fan because the noise was too load. With Zalmans "FanMate 1" I managed to reduce the Fan-speed to around 3200-3500rpm, thus making the noise more acceptable.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
so you judge loud by wether or not you can hear it at all? i think the general concensus is, if you dont have to turn the tv up louder than usual its not loud.

make sure you study really hard for an aids test.

Raffe

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2002
<b>"make sure you study really hard for an aids test".</b>

No Jihiggs, you have to do better then that. :confused:

If you try to write something that suppose to be sarcastic (or whatever it suppose to be), at least write something that is understandable and comprehensible for other readers as well - not just for yourself. Besides; whats your problem? Give it a rest will you - and dont bother answering this reply.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
see the thing is, its supposed to be funny, i stole it and modified it from a chris rock stand up, you dont like it i believe you can go to hell.

make sure you study really hard for an aids test.

Raffe

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2002
Jihiggs, I dont give a [-peep-] what you believe or not - just make it a signature, if it suppose to a signature. You DO know how to make signatures dont you? Just modify your Basic Profile.

Raffe

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2002
<b>Quote: "see? notice how its always at the bottom of my post?"</b>

Good. Just use italic or colored letters, or maybe a different size or fontstyle and everything is OK. Its an understatement that signatures should be clearly distinguishable from the actual reply-text. Look at Camieabz's example.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
In my ears 30dB is pretty loud.
I agree with that. I was expecting silence after switching from a 42 dBA Delta to a 32 dBA fan but I was mistaken.

I still have to turn up the television but at least I can hear it.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
The frequency matters also. 30db from a small high-speed fan is like a hair dryer but
on a 120mm fan you can hardly hear it because it is a lower frequency.

:smile: <b><font color=green> I took an I.Q. test today...It came back negative.</font color=green></b> :lol:

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The frequency matters also. 30db from a small high-speed fan is like a hair dryer but
on a 120mm fan you can hardly hear it because it is a lower frequency.
That's true but I went from 42 dBA, 7000 RPM, 60x60mm fan to a 32 dBA, 5000 RPM, 70x70mm fan. The pitch is much lower but it's still loud. It's tolerable but I never forget my computer is running.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I can relate with no argument. I have low tolerence for higher frequencies.
I guess the only plus is, you know if the hsf is working.

:smile: <b><font color=green> I took an I.Q. test today...It came back negative.</font color=green></b> :lol:

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
Indeed OldBear. Can silence be truly golden for "air cooled only" AMD owners?

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I went from a Delta 60mm fan to a variable speed 80MM fan. At 3000RPM or roughly just over 30dB, I can't hear my system at all, unless I put my ear on the case. I don't know but I find 30dB almost silent (a very gentle whisper). But then again, as you said, the bigger the fan the lower frequency the sound.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

TRENDING THREADS