XP Faxmodem Problems

Tags:
  • Fax
  • Windows XP
January 28, 2005 4:07:06 AM

Had the same problem as BOB (26/1) in that I tried to add fax services after
installing XPProSP2 but the setup program claimed to be unable to find files
that seemed to be there.

Somehow this problem went away after I installed some optional updates.

But it still ain't working. I selected Printers and Faxes and then set up
faxing on the left of the screen. This causes a promising flurry of activity
for a few seconds. What happens after this varies. Sometimes the option on
the left changes to something like install a local fax. When you select
that, nothing happens.

Lately, after the flurry of activity, the screen actually shows an installed
fax. But it's a ghost! If you try to perform any action with it it gives an
error message that begins "operation could not be completed. either your
printer name has been typed incorrectly ..." Word (XPPro) won't recognise it.

When I return to printers and faxes, the fax is no longer there and I am
given the option of setting up a fax again!

Either I or my computer have gone bananas!

More about : faxmodem problems

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 6:49:55 PM

Make sure your modem is using the latest drivers and is on the Windows XP
HCL list.
Make sure you are logging on as an Administrator.
Try the installation immediately after a reboot and see if anything changes.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Had the same problem as BOB (26/1) in that I tried to add fax services
> after
> installing XPProSP2 but the setup program claimed to be unable to find
> files
> that seemed to be there.
>
> Somehow this problem went away after I installed some optional updates.
>
> But it still ain't working. I selected Printers and Faxes and then set up
> faxing on the left of the screen. This causes a promising flurry of
> activity
> for a few seconds. What happens after this varies. Sometimes the option
> on
> the left changes to something like install a local fax. When you select
> that, nothing happens.
>
> Lately, after the flurry of activity, the screen actually shows an
> installed
> fax. But it's a ghost! If you try to perform any action with it it gives
> an
> error message that begins "operation could not be completed. either your
> printer name has been typed incorrectly ..." Word (XPPro) won't recognise
> it.
>
> When I return to printers and faxes, the fax is no longer there and I am
> given the option of setting up a fax again!
>
> Either I or my computer have gone bananas!
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 3:52:22 AM

I had the exact same problems as you with the "ghost fax". I don't know if
you have a toshiba or not but the following link may work anyway. Best to
do a system restore checkpoint just in case. The description on the website
says its a fix for installing another windows component but it worked for me
( i do have a toshiba laptop)

Click on the Windows Start Menu.
2. Click Run.

3. Type esentutl /p %windir%\security\database\secedit.sdb

I know it looks odd because of security bit but the link is below. Hope it
helps

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlVie...(All+Models)&ProductMenu_2=-------------------------------&ST=1&SortOrder=LT_WEIGHT&awhit=3

> Make sure your modem is using the latest drivers and is on the Windows XP
> HCL list.
> Make sure you are logging on as an Administrator.
> Try the installation immediately after a reboot and see if anything
> changes.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Had the same problem as BOB (26/1) in that I tried to add fax services
>> after
>> installing XPProSP2 but the setup program claimed to be unable to find
>> files
>> that seemed to be there.
>>
>> Somehow this problem went away after I installed some optional updates.
>>
>> But it still ain't working. I selected Printers and Faxes and then set
>> up
>> faxing on the left of the screen. This causes a promising flurry of
>> activity
>> for a few seconds. What happens after this varies. Sometimes the option
>> on
>> the left changes to something like install a local fax. When you select
>> that, nothing happens.
>>
>> Lately, after the flurry of activity, the screen actually shows an
>> installed
>> fax. But it's a ghost! If you try to perform any action with it it
>> gives an
>> error message that begins "operation could not be completed. either your
>> printer name has been typed incorrectly ..." Word (XPPro) won't
>> recognise it.
>>
>> When I return to printers and faxes, the fax is no longer there and I am
>> given the option of setting up a fax again!
>>
>> Either I or my computer have gone bananas!

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 9:55:03 AM

Shaun, I have exactly the same problem with windows xp sp2.
Hope someone can help with an answer
Achyut

!