Which motherboard best for OC'ing? P4Northwood1,8

tumpez

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
Would motherboard would be best?
It has to be nice for overclocking and work with a P4 Northwood 1,8Ghz. I'm hoping to be able to overclock it to like 2,3-2,4 Ghz. Is that possible? Im buying a Thermaltake Silent Viking cooler with it.
Does a make a big difference which ram you put in? Was going to buy the Microstar MS-845 Ultra-ARU, but then I found out that it was not compatible with DDR333 ram? Does it make it much faster with these ram? And what about a new mobo like this: ASUS P4S533? Will it be much much faster, or is just a little bit faster?

Have just seen that microstar has announced their 533 mobo: MSI 645E Max2-LRU
Looks very cool! Will probably be a lot better than the Asus mobo, and it has USB 2 :) But will it also be better for overclocking? Im not that much into overclocking...yet :)

Any suggestions? :D I sure hope so, because im really stuck now =) Thx!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tumpez on 04/17/02 09:24 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

tumpez

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
Oki. A very short precise answer :) Like that!
Have some questions though... Thought that DDR were better for overclocking? The AbitTH7II uses RD-ram (which RD-ram should i buy - Kingston?). How much will I be able to overclock it to? 2,3-2,4 Ghz.. is that possible with the retail cooler? Why shouldn't i buy a cooler like the Silent Viking? Waste of money? :)

Crunch

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2002
Get a ABIT TH7II with Samsung PC800 (i use single sided because i have RAM coolers on my chips)... You will get more OC'ing outta RAMBUS THEN DDR. It never hurts to get aftermarket cooling when OC'ing, if you got the cash spend it :) My system is fully liquid cooled so i dont have the mass hums of multiple fans :) and im OC'd to 3ghz with a P4 2.2 on ABIT TH7II. I'd throw out my benchmarks but i just rebuilt this array and dont plan on installing anymore benchmarking utilities unless i start tampering with OC'ing again with it :)

G'Luck with your P4

NurseMSIC

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Going purely on my own experience, i use the MSI Sis 645 chipset board, and have been able to very stabley (is that a word?) o/c my P4 1.6A to 133 FSB no problems (= 2.16Ghz).
Everything i've tried to plug in (apart from a friends network card that i was didnt need) has worked perfectly, and i use the thing for video editing.
I only at the moment have Crucial PC 2100, which is fine, and i intend to swap for PC 2700 and o/c that when budget allows.

The spirit of Monkey was ...... irrepressible

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yes, the MSI 645 Ultra is great for the overclocker on a budget. It's one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest DDR P4 motheroboard.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink: