Battlefield 3 questions

2fast4thetown_down

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
I have some bf3 questions and problems.

I sometimes start to lag, well I walk and i will jump backwards like 10 yards and it is very annoying. I am using a 8800gt.

In febuary when I get a new graphics card to play in ultra will like 330 be enough to buy a graphics card that will do that?

I will get this logo in the top right that has a plug and socket and my charachter cant move why is this is it my cooler master 460 elite psu??

Gallarian

Distinguished
Jumping around the map definitely sounds like server lag.

On your server filters, select the 'Region' option and only allow servers near your location to come up in the server list.

As for a graphics card to play on ultra, only a 680 or 7970 ghz will do it and stay above 60fps 90% of the time

As this is the UK site, Im guessing '330' means £330? If so, thats directly in the price range of an EVGA GTX 670 FTW (the card I currently use) - This card will be able to play on ultra settings but will frequently fall below 60fps, even down to 40fps on some maps (B2K and CQ maps especially).

In order to get smooth 60fps 90%+ of the time, play on High with 4xMSAA, and if you want to stay above 60fps on the newer expansion packs, get rid of Ambient Occlusion too.

what your describing is rubber banding. it can happen on any server regardless of ping. i found that some servers are more prone than others depending on the company the server is rented off. multiplay servers tend to show it most on uk hosted games while killer creation owned servers tend to be free of it...
the reason for this is multiplay set up a system which doesnt take into account players pings. so when they set 1 up they seem to use a system that gives the bare minimum of acceptable ping variation.
say you get a 64 player server each slot will have a max ping and multiplay set this at 50ms while killer creation set theres to 150ms. end result is if you get both servers full the killercreation 1 will have less chance of rubber banding and be able to handle a wider rang of pings. while the multiplay 1 will start bouncing if you get more than half the players on 50-80 ping and a few on 100+. you will really see it if you get 3 or 4 players with 200+ on a 64 player multiplay server. because the overall bandwidth allocation on multiplay is so much lower 64x50=3.2mbps . by doing this they can squeeze up to x2.5 the amount of games on a smaller server than killercreation can 64x150=9.6mbps.
because they have so much more bandwidth allocated killer creation servers have much more headroom for a few higher ping players and can in most cases handle half a dozed 200+ ping players without rubber banding. not only do they give you more bandwidth they tend to do it cheaper than multiplay.

so yeah rubber banding is purely down to the network and host your game is using. lag warping which is a different issue can be caused by a slow machine but in the case of rubber banding its pretty much always the fault of the game hosts server provider.
yes your gfx is minimum spec for the game but that shouldn't cause rubberbanding unless you have a particularly slow and i mean 1.8ghz or slower cpu.

regardless of host try to pick a server thats showing you at under 50 ping with a max 100 most uk based 1s should be under 35 if your on virgin media, if your on sky or bt its likely your ping will be x2 that for the same server and if you have a line booster it will be higher again.

you get a plug? normally you see something similar when your Internet disconnects in a game like mw3 but i haven't seen it in bf3 it just discconects quits and goes to the browser...
so yeah my guess is your net lost its connection to the server your playing on... either it lost it perminantly or if it keeps flashing up but doesnt quit, its intermittent. meaning either you have a faulty connection or the server has.
you can run tests like tracert from the cmd(run as admin)
and type tracert www.bbc.co.uk or www.google.co.uk to see if its your connection...
then do the same but instead of putting in a www.addi use the servers ip found in the browser page for that server.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>tracert www.bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to www.bbc.net.uk [*12.*58.2*6.93]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 8 ms 7 ms 7 ms *0.*02.*2.*1
2 7 ms 5 ms 7 ms newc-geam-1a-ge412.network.virginmedia.net [80.0
.145.225]
3 12 ms 6 ms 7 ms gate-geam-1b-pc114.network.virginmedia.net [80.0
.144.145]
4 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms gate-core-2b-ae2-0.network.virginmedia.net [80.0
.144.141]
5 16 ms 15 ms 18 ms manc-bb-1c-ae10-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.1
05.159.169]
6 16 ms 15 ms 15 ms manc-bb-1d-ae2-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253
.174.93]
7 16 ms 15 ms 23 ms manc-bb-1a-ae11-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.1
05.159.85]
8 34 ms 23 ms 22 ms glfd-bb-1b-ae1-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.10
5.175.146]
9 22 ms 21 ms 22 ms glfd-tmr-1-ae5-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.10
5.159.46]
10 23 ms 23 ms 23 ms tcl5-ic-1-as0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.
185.78]
11 24 ms 23 ms 25 ms 212.58.239.249
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 21 ms 23 ms 19 ms ae0.er01.cwwtf.bbc.co.uk [132.185.254.93]
14 41 ms 25 ms 24 ms 132.185.255.165
15 21 ms 28 ms 21 ms bbc-vip014.cwwtf.bbc.co.uk [212.58.246.93]

Trace complete.

C:\Windows\system32>

notice number 12? it timed out this means a server close to the destination failed so it had to reroute. if it timed out or showed a high ping in the first 2 replys it would mean theres an error on my connection (the first hop) or in my area the second hop. these 2 are most likely to have an impact on a games smooth play unless its the very last hop that fails and thats the server having an error... anything in between that gives a high ping will increase your ping to the server. so sometimes just disconnecting and reconnecting can sort the issue as you will usually find a different route each time you connect...
you may have to disable your adapter or flush the dns to get a different rout.

thmage8

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
What I found with my graphics card is (ati 7870) that BF3 will have that same thing you are describing on any server. Google for a config file for BF3.
This is the one I used:
Code:
// ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Chris' BF3 config
// v1.000 | 01 November 2011 | fakkelbrigade.eu/chris/configs/
// Location: [drive]:\Origin\Battlefield 3\

PostProcess.DynamicAOEnable 0
Render.DrawFps 0 // Shows FPS meter on screen
RenderDevice.Dx11Enable 0
RenderDevice.VSyncEnable 0
WorldRender.DxDeferredCsPathEnable 1 // Don't defer operations relating to
                                     // Frostbite csPath() calls.
WorldRender.FxaaEnable 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurEnable 0
WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapEnable 0
WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmap­Resolution 256 // Fixes some issues with
                                              // corrupted/sawtooth shadows.
WorldRender.TransparencyShadowmapsEnable 0

// Fixes the common causes of mouse jittering issues.
RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 1
RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 0

Save as user.cfg in the root of your BF3 folder (usually in C --> program files (x86) --> origin games --> battlefield 3)
and then run the game.
Try seeing if that fixes it.

there is nothing currently available in single card single gpu configs that will max out bf3 with x4fsaa and give a minimum of 60 fps... the 670, 680 and 7970 GHZ edition will all come close but on the expansion maps like gulf of oman and the close quaters maps your fps will drop consistently for 50-55fps using x2 fsaa on a 1080p monitor if its 23inches or less will often be enough to solve it with any of these cards but really there overpriced for what you get when you consider the 660ti is 250 or less and will give fairly similar performance without aa. to be honest if you use fxaa theres no need to use fsaa and it has much less impact on the fps... you will still drop below 60 fps but less regulalry than with fsaa.
for your system, i would say spend under 300. and that will mean a 670 or 660ti and at a push7970 ghz edition if you shop around you may find 1 for just about 300.
anything more and i would say your throwing money away on very little performance gains.

It's the last time I tell you this: Don't waste your money to upgrade the graphics card. It will not improve your gameplay at all if you're lagging at low settings. HD 7850 is MORE than capable to do that, and since it lags, it is not because of the graphics card.

Gallarian

Distinguished

$300 = 660ti, great for 60fps at High settings (and maybe 2xMSAA too)

Though as already stated, if you already have a 7850 theres no point in upgrading really, it will be a performance boost, but not a $300 one.

A 660ti would also come with a free copy of Borderlands 2 at the moment.