chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Hey, I was wondering if there was a difference between the thermal paste we use on CPUs and the thermal paste we use on video cards. Here on PEI, we don't have anyplace that i know of that sells Arctic Silver 2 or something like it, but they do sell thermal paste for CPUs.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
the only diff might be that the stuff one the video card could be thermo adhesive.

to let you know artic silver 3 is out.

what is better then a 7000 rpm, a 8000 rpm delta. to cause more noise to kill your ears :smile:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i use arctic silver2 on my cpu and my video card.
the video card used to have the white paste on it, and when i first built my computer, i had the white paste on the cpu. but that white paste is just general thermal grease. they sell it at radio shack for use with electronics, like putting a heatsink on a transistor or something along those lines.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
most of the nvidia cards uses paste, radeon uses adhensives, and no, thre is no difference between the thermal paste u use on your cpu and the graphics card. i uses AS3 on my cpu and it works quite good, althogh it took me couple of tries to apply it properly, personally i find it difficult to apply AS3 on my graphics card, the core is quite big and when i press the heatsink on to it, the paste on the core dosn't comes in 2 contact with the heatsink.