PRL Now Has Me Worried

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
March 21, 2005 4:25:28 AM

Hello,

This PRL (something I never thought about earlier) thing has me worried now.

I do not use Verizon for my cellular service, but I do have a PC Card
BroadbandAccess account with them. Good folks they are, by the way.

I fiddled with the AccessManager to check out what "PRL" version I have.

I almost fell off my chair when I saw it was 50224. Way out behind the 50284
(and nearabouts) being talked about in here these days.

After I recovered enough to compose this message - I now am wondering:- am I
left behind? Is there a way to update this thing on my PC Card and catch up
with the rest of humanity? Or, am I one of the chosen ones the
communications revolutions steers clear of?

Set a dimwit's mind at rest, please, someone.

Thanks.

Osiris

More about : prl worried

March 21, 2005 4:25:29 AM

I think a higher number doesn't necessarily mean better. Each PRL has a
purpose. Sounds like your PRL is populated with towers that can provide the
kind of service your card (and account) needs.

I feel about the same with my LG 8000. I'm still at 50266 and am told this
is because 50266 is the latest "broadband" PRL. Presumably, my PRL
describes towers that can provide the kind of service my phone and my
account needs.

That's the theory anyway... :)

-Frank

"Osiris" <osiris@orion.nebula> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> This PRL (something I never thought about earlier) thing has me worried
> now.
>
> I do not use Verizon for my cellular service, but I do have a PC Card
> BroadbandAccess account with them. Good folks they are, by the way.
>
> I fiddled with the AccessManager to check out what "PRL" version I have.
>
> I almost fell off my chair when I saw it was 50224. Way out behind the
> 50284 (and nearabouts) being talked about in here these days.
>
> After I recovered enough to compose this message - I now am wondering:- am
> I left behind? Is there a way to update this thing on my PC Card and catch
> up with the rest of humanity? Or, am I one of the chosen ones the
> communications revolutions steers clear of?
>
> Set a dimwit's mind at rest, please, someone.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Osiris

March 21, 2005 6:30:48 AM

Hello,

Thanks for the response. Makes me feel better - maybe I am not such a
neglected doddering ol' un after all.

I also found out that PRL does not stand for (as I thought) - Prime Romantic
Location. So, no love lost there!

Regards.

Osiris

"Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
>I think a higher number doesn't necessarily mean better. Each PRL has a
>purpose. Sounds like your PRL is populated with towers that can provide
>the kind of service your card (and account) needs.
>
> I feel about the same with my LG 8000. I'm still at 50266 and am told
> this is because 50266 is the latest "broadband" PRL. Presumably, my PRL
> describes towers that can provide the kind of service my phone and my
> account needs.
>
> That's the theory anyway... :)
>
> -Frank
>
> "Osiris" <osiris@orion.nebula> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> This PRL (something I never thought about earlier) thing has me worried
>> now.
>>
>> I do not use Verizon for my cellular service, but I do have a PC Card
>> BroadbandAccess account with them. Good folks they are, by the way.
>>
>> I fiddled with the AccessManager to check out what "PRL" version I have.
>>
>> I almost fell off my chair when I saw it was 50224. Way out behind the
>> 50284 (and nearabouts) being talked about in here these days.
>>
>> After I recovered enough to compose this message - I now am wondering:-
>> am I left behind? Is there a way to update this thing on my PC Card and
>> catch up with the rest of humanity? Or, am I one of the chosen ones the
>> communications revolutions steers clear of?
>>
>> Set a dimwit's mind at rest, please, someone.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Osiris

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 21, 2005 4:37:25 PM

How do you like you LG 8000? I like it a lot. Very Nice Phone. I also have
the PRL 50266.

"Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
>I think a higher number doesn't necessarily mean better. Each PRL has a
>purpose. Sounds like your PRL is populated with towers that can provide
>the kind of service your card (and account) needs.
>
> I feel about the same with my LG 8000. I'm still at 50266 and am told
> this is because 50266 is the latest "broadband" PRL. Presumably, my PRL
> describes towers that can provide the kind of service my phone and my
> account needs.
>
> That's the theory anyway... :)
>
> -Frank
>
> "Osiris" <osiris@orion.nebula> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> This PRL (something I never thought about earlier) thing has me worried
>> now.
>>
>> I do not use Verizon for my cellular service, but I do have a PC Card
>> BroadbandAccess account with them. Good folks they are, by the way.
>>
>> I fiddled with the AccessManager to check out what "PRL" version I have.
>>
>> I almost fell off my chair when I saw it was 50224. Way out behind the
>> 50284 (and nearabouts) being talked about in here these days.
>>
>> After I recovered enough to compose this message - I now am wondering:-
>> am I left behind? Is there a way to update this thing on my PC Card and
>> catch up with the rest of humanity? Or, am I one of the chosen ones the
>> communications revolutions steers clear of?
>>
>> Set a dimwit's mind at rest, please, someone.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Osiris

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 7:02:33 PM

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 01:25:28 GMT, "Osiris" <osiris@orion.nebula> chose to
add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>I fiddled with the AccessManager to check out what "PRL" version I have.
>
>I almost fell off my chair when I saw it was 50224. Way out behind the 50284
>(and nearabouts) being talked about in here these days.

I almost fell into my chair (I was standing) this evening when I checked my
PRL. I thought I had 5023(something), but it turned out I still had 50203!

Needless to say, I now have 50284.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"In the opinion of competent experts it is idle to look for a commercial
future for the flying machine. There is, and always will be, a limit to its
carrying capacity.... Some will argue that because a machine will carry two
people, another may be constructed that will carry a dozen, but those who
make this contention do not understand the theory." - W.J. Jackson and
Thomas Russell, _Flying Machines: Construction and Operation_, 1910
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 6:21:16 AM

Find out more about PRLs, what's in them and track changes.

Apparently, VZW can now "push" a PRL directly to the handset.

Mountain Wireless PRL Page

http://www.mountainwireless.com/prl.htm

-
David L