OC FSB A7V333

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
I wish someone had told me this stuff was addictive... A week ago I knew NOTHING about pc's, bumped into this site, and put my first computer together last night (booted and loaded XP Pro, so far so good). Now I wanna try to OC it for no better reason than it sounds fun, but before I destroy anything what parts of my system should I OC? I'm still a little shakey on the FSB OC concept and the CPU multiplier.
2000 XP
Asus A7V333
Samsung PC2700 (One stick, 512)
ATI 7500 64 All-In-Wonder
Thanx

svol

Champion
You have a good OC mobo and memory.
You can easely get the FSB running at 166 MHz IF you unlock the CPU, otherwise your CPU speed (CPU speed=multiplier*FSB: for your CPU 1670=12.5*133.33) will get way to high for normal air cooling. You can find an XP unlocking guide in Tom's Guides.
If you don't want to unlock the CPU (in order to be able to change the multiplier) the only thing you can do is raise the FSB, but because you can't set the multiplier lower your CPU speed will also increase: resulting in higher temps.
So first tell me what cooling you have and if you want to unlock the CPU, then I can give you more info.

<b>THGC:</b> before: :frown: :eek: , after: :smile: :cool: .

jedge78

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
I was also wondering about OC'ing

I have the same mobo with an xp 1800+, 256 OCZ PC3000
As for cooling, I have an AX-7 heatsink with a thermaltake fan, Aluminum case with 6 case fans. 350 W Enermax PSU

svol

Champion
You can start increasing the FSB a couple of MHz a time and then check if its stable. Check your temps too. If the system gets unstable raise your VCore a little, that can bring back stabillity, but will increase temps.
If you unlock the CPU you can set the FSB from 133 to 166 and your multiplier from 11.5 to 9 or 9.5. This way you increase your memory bandwith without OC'ing the CPU to high. If that runs stable, you can try to rise the multiplier to 10 and see if that runs stable and not to hot.

<b>THGC:</b> before: :frown: :eek: , after: :smile: :cool: .

G

Some good advice!

If you have no need to O/C then dont unless ya like me and had some extra cash to play with and cant help myself.
More than likely hardware will live less life, things may go funny, and things will burn hence the need for spare cash!
But hey its fun so go right ahead. Good luck . :smile:

<A HREF="http://www.herveybayqueensland.com/whaletext.html" target="_new">My backyard </A>

jedge78

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
What I still dont understand is, why would overclocking an xp's multiplier cause any harm to the processor assuming that it is kept cool. I have read several post suggesting that an xp 1800+ is the same exact chip as an 1900+ or even 2000+ with the multiplier set to a different number. Based on this assumption, which may be completely incorrect, as long as I leave the FSB frequency alone, won't my unlocked xp 1800+ overclocked to 2000+ perform exactly the same (with respect to speed, stability, and heat) as a 2000+ would straight from AMD?
So confused :) ....

G

Probably right.

<A HREF="http://www.herveybayqueensland.com/whaletext.html" target="_new">My backyard </A>

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
Ahhhh...I see. Thanks. Currently I'm cooling with the HSF that came with the CPU (doh!). I figured I'd need a better one but with two fans in my case I was hoping I could play around a little. Yesterday I put my FSB from 133 to 166 and had to reboot. I guess I have to take it slow, so I'll try tonight by small increments (and go buy my silver to unlock my CPU). Thanks again.

jedge78

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
check out highspeedpc.com they have a cool kit for unlocking xp's for pretty cheap

ps...let us know what results you get after you unlock the cpu

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jedge78 on 04/22/02 04:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>